What features & options do you want to see on the new 2014 full-size trucks?

Nah, a special order, with today's supercomputers, should be available much much sooner. It should be put in queue immediately from dealer computer to assembly plant computer to assembly line. The only real holdup should be transportation from factory to dealer.

• Agree 1

Nah, a special order, with today's supercomputers, should be available much much sooner. It should be put in queue immediately from dealer computer to assembly plant computer to assembly line. The only real holdup should be transportation from factory to dealer.

Well it is not working that fast with many of the special orders I have seen this year. Iooked into it if I could have not found the GMC I wanted. 4-8 weeks was average Some were longer.

I agree with you ocnblu, the GM ordering system has not shown any improvements in the past decade. When I worked at a BPG dealership ('99-'00), it was always 4-8 weeks minimum (some customers waited longer for certain product) for a custom-ordered vehicle. I waited 8 weeks for my '01 GMC Sonoma Highrider because I wanted Indigo Blue Metallic. You would think with all of the improvements in technology over the past decade GM would have improved this system. IMHO, GM doesn't want their customers to order a vehicle and wants them to take something off the lot. Find a salesperson happy to take your order and not push you into a dealer search (dealer trade) and you found a salesperson for life!

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

They just have not speeded the system up since so few people use it.

I never let the dealer push the dealer search. I do it myself and walk in make the deal on the vehice I want and then say here it is. I always get the car I want at the price I want the next day.

There is one case where I would order a car. A Corvette. For one to get what you wnat is not as easy since so few dealers stock them and second I would do the pick up at the museum option. I have had seceral friends do this and really enjoyed it.

What would stop me from doing that is any more for what you would pay for a new Vette I could get a very nice 59-60 and it would only go up in value vs the other dropping for 25 years.

Edited by hyperv6

I agree, waiting 4-8 weeks for your custom ordered auto is nothing compared to the years you will live with it. I think more people need to stop thinking instant gratification and order up what they really want. Far better way to go for an auto purchase.

I have no issues with a 4-8 week wait.

Yes but you are like the rest of us here that do not represent the average auto buyer anymore. That is also why they don't build cars you like anymore as the market has passed most of us by and we are no longer the center of the market.

On the other web sites they bitch and scream if their car is not there on the day and week promised. These are not what we would call normal car people they are the general public who is no longer in love with the car.

Today most consumers are crazy with I have to have it now sydrome. Just look at the latest Apple I phone release with idiots camping out for days to be first in line. I see it daily in our sales department where someone decides that they have to have a Paxton Supercharger at 2 PM and are upset they will not ship it today over night so they can have it on Tuesday. Back when I started it was 4 weeks min you would see it. Even the Herb Adams sway bars I ordered took 5 months but thats what it took.

Today most people are used to order on line and have it the next day. It is a instant gratification society anymore.

Any rational person would say 4-8 weeks is nothing for a car you will own 5-10 years but people are no longer rational.

I recomend that any here that have not spent time on web sites for non enthusiast cars go over and spend some time and see what the real consumer is like. Too many here think they are like us and that is no longer true. Nor would you want them to be confused with you.

I think too many on the entusiast sites lose track of where the average consumer is going and thinking. Trust me I do not like what I see anymore than anyone here but I better understand it once I see the wants needs and complaints.

We may be difficult for MFG to deal with because we are informed, but to be honest we are nothing compared to the unwashed uninformed buyer. I would kill some of these people at the service desk if I had to deal with some of them.

The younger the buyer the worst this stuff gets. I think the internet has trained many of these people in the I want it yesteday way of thinking and I do not see it getting better till the economy crashes.

So, you advocate joining the irrational masses?

Or merely pandering to them?

I'm not big on accepting idiocy, and certainly don't think I merit any less attention as a customer than the idiots do.

The mainstream consumers (or 'idiots' as you label them) are the 99%.... the mainstream automakers and dealers have no reason to waste time on you....that's just the way it is.

Who do think is buying all the FWD 4cyl automatic appliances? The mainstream consumers. I have no interest in them or their car choices, but the automakers and dealers can't ignore them.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

You know, I'm getting just a bit tired of being told that I don't count.

99% my ass.

I am dead smack in the middle of the truck market (the topic of the thread IIRC). And, I'd venture a guess that no other product has such a regular percentage of factory orders. Trucks are very specific purchases.

All of that aside, when there is an obviously better way to do things, it make sense to advocate for it.

If so many consumers are just lemmings, then lead them for god's sake!

I almost bought a 2500HD truck, prior to getting the LS7. And yes, I was ready to wait for 6-8 weeks for vehicle optioned as I wanted it to be.

I still remember GMT800s had far more flexibility in configuring a truck than the GMT900s do.

As far as the new trucks are concerned:

1. I would like to see the body-colored bumpers offered as options, just like the 2500HDs have with Z71 package.
  2. GM needs to be innovative with bed. Since Avalanche is dead, its innovative side storage and under bed utility needs to be offered in some form for the new truck.
  3. Get a 220V outlet in the bed.
  4. A Raptor competitor.
  5. Baby Duramax.

I'm not big on accepting idiocy, and certainly don't think I merit any less attention as a customer than the idiots do.

It is not pandering it is survival.

In buisness you do not give the people what they need you give them what they want.

Idiots yes, foolish sure are, willing to pay a lot of money for cars you hate in great number spot on.

Auto companies are catering to the profit centers of the average buyer. If they can thow the entusiast a bone now and then and still make a profit they will.

As I have told you for years the boring appliance cars are where the money is at. I don't like it anymore than you but that is the way the market has shifted and they have to play to the market as it is. Companies like Hyundai and Kia did not grow fast by forcing people to guy FWD 4 cylinder the customers came to them. Price, MPG and utility are king not HP, wagons, two doors or RWD. Yes they can offer these in limite models but till the market demands them to offer them in great numbers is suicide.

Look in any parking lot the rising king of the market is the small SUV right now. GM is bringing more and more of them out as that is what people want today. They may even push cars like the Camry and Accord down the list at the rate it is going.

I make it a point to learn what the general public wants as it is going to lead the maket in the direction. I like you don't always like what I see but it is what it is. I just hope there remains enough of us [enthusiast] to keep offering the cars we love even if the selection is more limited than in the past.

I feel your pain as what I see and what I want are not always the same.

It is not that you don't count it is a matter we all don't count for as much as we used too. Getting mad is not going to change a thing. Now you know how the die hard Flat Head guys felt back in the 50's as they went throught a similar thing them.

Edited by hyperv6
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I almost bought a 2500HD truck, prior to getting the LS7. And yes, I was ready to wait for 6-8 weeks for vehicle optioned as I wanted it to be.

I still remember GMT800s had far more flexibility in configuring a truck than the GMT900s do.

As far as the new trucks are concerned:

1. I would like to see the body-colored bumpers offered as options, just like the 2500HDs have with Z71 package.
  2. GM needs to be innovative with bed. Since Avalanche is dead, its innovative side storage and under bed utility needs to be offered in some form for the new truck.
  3. Get a 220V outlet in the bed.
  4. A Raptor competitor.
  5. Baby Duramax.

Add to the body color bumper I would like more ability to add a body color grill over the chrome. I like the ones I see now but they are limited to some packages.

Add to the body color bumper I would like more ability to add a body color grill over the chrome. I like the ones I see now but they are limited to some packages.

Yes, the Z71 on the 2500s have that along with the body colored bumpers.

Here is some of Chris's photos on the web.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-chevrolet-silverado-spy-shots-0/#photo-5329943/

The body change is about as revolutionary as the 911 is. But in these photo's you can see how they are working a lot on the front bumper and valance to clean it up aero wise.

I was hoping for more of a body change but I do not expect this model to be around a long time. With the coming needed changes and the competitive market this may be one of the shortest term truck GM has had in decades.

It is not pandering it is survival.

In buisness you do not give the people what they need you give them what they want.

Idiots yes, foolish sure are, willing to pay a lot of money for cars you hate in great number spot on.

Auto companies are catering to the profit centers of the average buyer. If they can thow the entusiast a bone now and then and still make a profit they will.

As I have told you for years the boring appliance cars are where the money is at. I don't like it anymore than you but that is the way the market has shifted and they have to play to the market as it is. Companies like Hyundai and Kia did not grow fast by forcing people to guy FWD 4 cylinder the customers came to them. Price, MPG and utility are king not HP, wagons, two doors or RWD. Yes they can offer these in limite models but till the market demands them to offer them in great numbers is suicide.

Look in any parking lot the rising king of the market is the small SUV right now. GM is bringing more and more of them out as that is what people want today. They may even push cars like the Camry and Accord down the list at the rate it is going.

I make it a point to learn what the general public wants as it is going to lead the maket in the direction. I like you don't always like what I see but it is what it is. I just hope there remains enough of us [enthusiast] to keep offering the cars we love even if the selection is more limited than in the past.

I feel your pain as what I see and what I want are not always the same.

It is not that you don't count it is a matter we all don't count for as much as we used too. Getting mad is not going to change a thing. Now you know how the die hard Flat Head guys felt back in the 50's as they went throught a similar thing them.

My argument with this isn't that they serve the center of the market, but with the fact that it is all they serve. And, that they never attempt to lead, or expand the thinking, or get creative, or look for a new way, or have any moxy whatsoever.

• Agree 1

I am perturbed by the bumps on the corners of the rear bumper. I'll bet they're cut out steps, which would be handy. I just hope they're handled elegantly.

The greenhouse is so clean-lined as to be wimpy in these new shots. I hope I'm wrong-o.

Auto makers are always looking for a way to be more profitable and the direction you seek is just not one that shows enough return. Making less models and standardizing option packages is a very profitable thing when you dig down to the bottom of it. If it were more profitable to taylor cars to each buyer am sure they all would be leading to that direction.

I do think if there was a place to order cars and to expidite them the Cadillac line would be the first place to look.

Cadillac has an advantage of being the only real American luxury car. It also has all their plants here in North America. WIth the lower volumes they seek to sell and hight asking price they wish to ask for it would be neat to see if they could offer a special service on ordering a custom built car in a short period of time. I think some would even pay a little extra for it if they could get some special options.

But to do this on a high volume truck or a lower priced car like a Cruze would not impact profits as much and could even hurt them as they would have to stock more different preassembled parts like dashes and suspension etc. More combinations only adds to the cost of anything. It goes back to the example Scott gave on the 4th gen F body getting standard power windows as it was cheaper to make them standard vs offer both power and manual.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I've had this very discussion with Scott, and I do get the thinking behind standardization. However, I believe that it has been carried too far and now hurts, rather than helping. There is a world of difference between making power windows a standard feature and grouping a limited-slip rear into an option package with a sunroof and leather interior.

I see a marketing advantage to offering greater option flexibility - the ad campaign almost writes itself.

Think it through, there is real potential there.

• Agree 1

Bud welcome to the Walmart markting kind of world.

Like they say in the commercials on TV everyone bundles. Puppy?

The bottom line is if they are not seeing maximum profits they would not be doing it. Now before you say I am sticking up for GM I state this for the entire industry and ever MFG less the ultra high end companys like Ferrari that will fit you to the seat of you Enzo.

Edited by hyperv6
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Here are a few I've thought of:

Sport appearance package

Regular cabs with greater option availability

2-tone paint availability

More vibrant, varied color options

No appearance package. How about a real sport truck package. I would love a ZQ8 package on a full size truck with the right bits to make it handle. Then let you choose the engines as they do already. The S10/ Colorado and Sonoma/Canyon Have been popular option.

Just no more fake performance sticker cars and trucks.

In which case an opportunity is being missed.

Just might be all the MFG's have all the real data and facts that prove what is the best choice for profits. Todays market no matter what the product is volume. The days of the custome taylored products are pretty much over accept for the high end product few can afford.

Here are a few I've thought of:

Sport appearance package

Regular cabs with greater option availability

2-tone paint availability

More vibrant, varied color options

No appearance package. How about a real sport truck package. I would love a ZQ8 package on a full size truck with the right bits to make it handle. Then let you choose the engines as they do already. The S10/ Colorado and Sonoma/Canyon Have been popular option.

Just no more fake performance sticker cars and trucks.

On this, we agree - no fake stuff!

In which case an opportunity is being missed.

Just might be all the MFG's have all the real data and facts that prove what is the best choice for profits. Todays market no matter what the product is volume. The days of the custome taylored products are pretty much over accept for the high end product few can afford.

I repeat, a missed opportunity.

I'll just leave it at that.

"the best choice for profits" pretty much ruled the 1980s and torpedoed volume.

More recently, GM has learned that doing things a bit differently and less with profitability in mind has improved their station notably. Because the recent interiors have certainly cost a lot more. You look at the plethora of packages & trims over at Ford and you can see a LOT of expenditure over there.

Ram Express and Ford FX2/FX4 do pretty well, and they're only monochrome/wheel/sticker/interior trim packages. I think a real enhanced handling package might do better on the smaller truck. For performance, the aftermarket is still pretty vibrant on fullsize trucks.

"the best choice for profits" pretty much ruled the 1980s and torpedoed volume.

More recently, GM has learned that doing things a bit differently and less with profitability in mind has improved their station notably. Because the recent interiors have certainly cost a lot more. You look at the plethora of packages & trims over at Ford and you can see a LOT of expenditure over there.

The better interiors are not the same thing as they offer them in nearly everthing built not just a model here or there. With the volume of the trucks it also make it easier to do vs a car that may only sell 70,000 units.

Set packages are platform sharing and will remain with us for the foreseeable future.

I do agree Ford has always offered many body combo;s and trim levels on their trucks but they still pretty much stick to packages on option packages. The sheer volume along helps again but the option packages still remain.

The King Ranch for example pretty much gives a few body configs but they also have mostly set option packages and you get what they offer. This truck is a profit center model and it does well even at the higher prices. This is why Chevy will also offer a high content model next year.

Ram Express and Ford FX2/FX4 do pretty well, and they're only monochrome/wheel/sticker/interior trim packages. I think a real enhanced handling package might do better on the smaller truck. For performance, the aftermarket is still pretty vibrant on fullsize trucks.

I would keep the small trucks but I think to offer this on a short bed standard cab would do well. Offer it in V6 and V8 models too as the ZQ8 has many 4 cylinders on the smaller trucks.

What many buyers do is buy the base truck and then build them up from there. Having the lowered suspension handling package factory adds it into the car payment and leaves the other money left for the other add ons. Also it does not void the warranty. This is the key to the SPO program for dealer installed options already.

There SS 454 dd well and so did the sports package that was similar with the smaller engine. They did use a different suspension on them as many guys upgrading the brakes found out.

I am perturbed by the bumps on the corners of the rear bumper. I'll bet they're cut out steps, which would be handy. I just hope they're handled elegantly.

The greenhouse is so clean-lined as to be wimpy in these new shots. I hope I'm wrong-o.

Maybe its a return of the steps from the WBC avalanche

rear.jpg

The "baby" Duramax is an option that is way overdue. Not just for the trucks, but also for Suburban and Tahoe.

The current GM management is being very defensive and conservative. It is really hampering attention to details and development.

• Agree 1

The "baby" Duramax is an option that is way overdue. Not just for the trucks, but also for Suburban and Tahoe.

The current GM management is being very defensive and conservative. It is really hampering attention to details and development.

Which is why I criticize them a bit more harshly than I otherwise might. They need to step up and take some risks if they want to stage a real comeback.

A deployable step in the tailgate like on the Ford Super Duty would be nice to see, and also a step like that under each door--maybe one that extends when you open the door, retracts when you close the door. Lighted, of course.

I'm not exactly short, but find a full size truck or SUV (esp. a 4x4 one) awkward to climb into...can only imagine how it is for small women and older folks.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Has anyone ever really seen anyone use the Ford Man Step?

I saw one deployed at the autoshow but otherwise I have just heard people make fun of it and the owners manhood. LOL! Not joking here. Maybe I run in some tough circles but most mock it.

I think a side step would be better accepted vs a tail gate step.

The Ford tailgate 'man step' does look pretty ill-thought-out & flimsy. I don't believe the handle on the gate will last long under heavy use, and frankly the setup should be located to one side rather than in the center. Not sure what the better solution here is, but I like this much better:

trekstep_out_small.jpg

But... I do want the bedside step on both sides (ahead of the rear wheel). Like this:

Unfortunately, it's $250 per step here.

The Ford tailgate 'man step' does look pretty ill-thought-out & flimsy. I don't believe the handle on the gate will last long under heavy use, and frankly the setup should be located to one side rather than in the center. Not sure what the better solution here is, but I like this much better:

But... I do want the bedside step on both sides (ahead of the rear wheel).

Unfortunately, it's $250 per step here.

That's pretty slick...aftermarket product?

Ford currently offers factory fold-out bedside steps ahead of the wheel. I click on it when I Build&Price an F150 all the time. It's like $335 for the set. I do agree that the tailgate step looks rickety, plus it only adds to the expense of replacing a tailgate, a part that often sustains damage on a working pickup truck.

Edited by ocnblu

That was part of the mocking as it looked cheap and who would want their buddies to see them use the hand grip. LOL!

There are a few steps out there that are electric and manual that fold out..Some are nice some are crap as we sell most through work. None are big sellers as step bars but there is enough sold I think a factory option might be nice.

But the stepside is dead. Too many people would rather have the utility of the fleetside vs the styling of the step side.

If you can style a Step Side in a way that it does not cut bed volume you might be able to bring it back.

It is bad enough our short bed ext cab has a short bed but to make it less wide that just hurts. My Sonoma bet was that large.

But the stepside is dead. Too many people would rather have the utility of the fleetside vs the styling of the step side.

If you can style a Step Side in a way that it does not cut bed volume you might be able to bring it back.

It is bad enough our short bed ext cab has a short bed but to make it less wide that just hurts. My Sonoma bet was that large.

I agree, I think from an OEM stand point, no useful purpose in building a Stepside for the masses.

From a 3rd party upgrade/parts supplier stand point it would make sense to build and offer for sale to the public a StepSide bed that can be had in full metal or with more traditional wood slates in the bottom. I can see a custom market for these parts.

You know, there may be a way to do just that. There is a large amount of dead space between the inner wall of a fleetside and the outer panel. Making it look right would be the biggest challenge, I think.

I have thought about the dead space and I also considered moving the rear wheels out ala Duelly too. I figure there is some middle ground here to work with.

But without the extra space you would only sell it to the people who want it for styling give it utility again and you will gain back the sales needed to make it a standing option.

I thought about moving the wheels outboard too - having no (or smaller) wheelwells inside the bed would be very nice.

I do agree that this idea would have to be utility-based at it's heart, but I already have multiple ideas on that front.

Maybe we can talk some of our resident sketch/photoshop talent into a little project...