Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Chevrolet News:Chevrolet Sonic Falls Into Dusk

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

October 25, 2012

Chevrolet is showing the dark side of the Sonic with the new Dusk. Originally shown as a concept last year at SEMA, Chevrolet is showing off a production model that will be in dealerships in 2014.

The Dusk package is available on the Sonic sedan and adds ground effects, a rear spoiler, 18-inch aluminum wheels in a Pearl Nickel finish, and several matte exterior-trim pieces, including the upper and lower grilles, door handle inserts and rear license plate trim.

Inside, there are Jet Black leather-trimmed seats with suede accents and Mojave tan inserts. The Mojave color is also used in the accent stitching along with tan door panels and instrument panel accents.Chevrolet's MyLink infotainment system with touchscreen is also included.

Those who were hoping for a power bump will be disappointed The Sonic Dusk will stick with the 1.4 turbo-four producing 138 HP and 148 lb-ft of torque.

Source: GM

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Press Release is on Page 2

From Concept to Reality: Chevrolet Announces Sonic Dusk

Along with Sonic Dusk and Sonic RS, Chevrolet’s subcompact seeks to fit all lifestyles

LAS VEGASChevrolet today announced production of the Sonic Dusk sedan, designed to bring a higher degree of sophistication and refinement to the subcompact segment. The production intent Sonic Dusk will be displayed at the SEMA Show, opening Oct. 30 in Las Vegas and leads a diverse range of stylized Chevy small cars.

“Just like we’ve done with Corvettes and Camaros, we’re taking another one of our core products and adapting it to our customers’ lifestyles,” said Chris Perry, vice president of Chevrolet marketing. “The reaction to the Sonic Dusk concept last year was overwhelmingly positive and proved customers are interested in a more-refined subcompact. We’re moving quickly to bring Sonic Dusk to Chevrolet showrooms.”

The SEMA show vehicle features a production-intent package with ground effects, a rear spoiler and large, 18-inch aluminum wheels with a Pearl Nickel finish. Sophisticated touches lend the Ashen Grey Sonic Dusk a refined, contemporary aesthetic. The upper and lower grilles, door handle inserts and rear license plate trim are finished with a matte appearance, while stainless steel lower window moldings add an upscale accent to the body.

Inside, Sonic Dusk features Jet Black leather-trimmed seats with suede accents and Mojave tan inserts. Mojave accent stitching and tan-color door panel and instrument panel accents were designed to enhance the cabin’s ambience. It is also equipped with Chevrolet’s MyLink infotainment system, which integrates a smartphone and stored media – via Bluetooth, plug-in outlet or USB – with the radio.

“With a year under our belt, we’ve learned our Sonic sedan buyers are looking at exterior styling as a key purchase driver,” said Cristi Landy, marketing director of Chevrolet small cars. “While the RS hatchback is our sporty interpretation of Sonic, Dusk is a sophisticated, well contented option – both unique to this segment. It’s all about choices and personalization.”

Sonic Dusk is powered by the Ecotec 1.4L turbocharged engine, rated at 138 horsepower (103 kW) and 148 lb.-ft. of torque (200 Nm) between 1,850 rpm and 4,900 rpm. The wide rpm range for the maximum torque – a specific trait of turbocharged engines – helps the engine deliver a better driving experience and performance. The engine is mated with a six-speed transmission – and production models offer a six-speed manual or automatic.

The 2013 Chevrolet Sonic is positioned between the all-new Spark and the Cruze in Chevy’s small car portfolio. As the only subcompact built in America, Sonic comes with a segment-leading 10 standard air bags and leads in interior roominess. The performance-inspired Sonic RS hits dealerships in late 2012 and features Chevrolet’s exclusive infotainment system MyLink , with a seven-inch color touch screen radio capable of displaying smartphone-based music, videos, photos and contacts for hands-free calling. To learn more about Sonic, visit the Chevy Sonic Facebook page, follow on Twitter at @ChevyLife or check out letsdothis.com.

View full article

Sweet Starter Ride for college adults and a solid fun commuter car.

Wonder if the aftermarket will have a twin scroll Turbo with cold air intake kit to bump this up into the 200+ range of Torque and HP.

i'm not too worried about the power. while it would be nice to have a bigger power option (Hello 1.6T with 200 ft/lbs @1500rpm!) the truth is the 1.4T is plenty for 95% of buyers of this car.

So glad they went with Mojave Tan and not Oompa Loompa Orange on the interior. The seats look the same as the RS seats in a different color, nice! In this class of car, I prefer the hatchback for its versatility, but I do like the style of the little Sonic sedan the best of anything it directly competes with. And it has a big trunk for its size. A Sonic Dusk coupe (simple 2-door conversion on the sedan body) would be the bomb.

On style, it is upright, a bit stubborn, with just a hint of sport, and a lot of honesty, sort of like the first-gen Chevy II sedan. The Dusk package takes it upscale nicely.

1965_CHEVYII100%204DSED.jpg

Edited by ocnblu

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By regfootball
      DRIVEN: 2019 Chevrolet Blazer LT AWD 3.6 (MSRP around 40k)
      HIGHS:
      -Blazer name is back!
      -Unique, sporty CUV style, drawing inspiration from the Camaro.  Be seen.  Looks good in person, even in a bad color.
      -Nice new interior design, including ball blower vents down low.  That will be a godsend in summer.  I liked the gauges, displays, controls, and touchscreen.
      -Cargo area seemed more useful in size than I imagined.  If I recall, the rear seats can slide forward and back to help out with that.
      -If you are averse to 4 cylinder engines, Chevy has you covered here.  Most of the Blazers will be had with 3.6 v6.  And with enough throttle foot, and after you let it wind up, and if the tranny actually kicks down, it scoots pretty well.
      -Fans of CUV's that are heavy and sit high will be like pigs in slop in the Blazer.
      LOWS:
      -There are probably a lot of people that won't be into the styling.
      -Drivetrain doesn't seem refined.  Sorry, another one of these GM drivetrains with the common 3.6 that underwhelms.  Slow transmission kickdown.  Feels like driveline has a lot of slop.  Lack of useful torque.  Grainy sounding, revs slow, throttle response is a dud.  
      -Interior space is not exactly a middle spot between the Equinox and Traverse.  To some it will feel not much larger than an Equinox inside, which is either a compliment for the Equinox (wasn't intended to be) or a rip on the Blazer (maybe that's where I was going).   Perhaps how high you sit on the queen perch exacerbates the truckiness of this thing, but it feels narrow in relation to it's size, and it's easier to knock elbows with your neighbor than it should be in this thing.
      -There is nothing about the ride and handling that stuck in my mind as impressive.  In fact, it was quite the opposite.  Now, maybe the RS is better, I don't know.
      -Irregardless of whether a vehicle being heavy is a good or bad thing, it's that the Blazer actually feels porky or even porkier than it is / isn't.
      -The elephant in the room on this thing is price.  This lightly equipped LT was near 40 grand.  In the same showroom is an almost equally equipped Traverse for an almost equal price.  The versions that are in the high 40's and 50's, it's a real SMH to me.
      -An all around feel about the vehicle that it was just a cobbled together parts bin ride (which historically has been GM's PENCHANT).  The Blazer is a vehicle that feels old by several years on the market, right when it's introduced.
      SUMMARY
      No compelling reason to pick this vehicle on the market other than if you are a GM fanboi/girl or you've gone sick on the styling of it.  If it's the former, its another case of GM missing an opportunity to provide class competitive or better vehicle refinement and dynamics and missing the mark.  If it's the latter, then the styling ends up being the sole purpose for the vehicle to exist in the market.  If it doesn't have more than that, than it's hopes for being a long term success are pretty thin.  I don't need to dive much more into this one.  Reviving the Blazer name and throwing it on something that evokes the Camaro in styling is about all there is behind this effort.  Nissan came out with the Murano in 2003? 2004? And Chevrolet finally has something to compete with it in 2019.  The list of vehicles that are better options to this for your money, whether 2 or 3 row, are in the dozens.  As far as Chevy, if you really want size, immediately bypass the Blazer and just go straight for the Traverse.  For performance and refinement, it's entirely possibly that a well loaded Equinox with the 2.0 engine is a much more enjoyable vehicle for a majority of people.  And don't forget the GMC options too.  Other makes and models, Santa Fe, Atlas, Edge, Passport, all better.  I might be here all day if I list all the better options.
      It doesn't make it bad to like the Blazer and I wouldn't criticize anyone for buying one.  I just think GM mailed it in here, which they seem to be doing with increasing frequency here.  All you get here is a name and some style.  Bless ya if that's what you want.  I may try the 2.5 FWD for contrast, but i think I can 99% safely say one of these will never be in my driveway.  Continuing to lose more and more faith in GM and Chevy all the time.

• By William Maley
      Chevrolet didn't want to have Ford hogging the spotlight today in terms of heavy-duty pickups, so they spilled some more details on the upcoming Silverado HD at an event in Flint, MI.
      Let's start with some big numbers. Chevrolet is claiming all dually Silverado HDs are capable of towing over 30,000 pounds, with max being 35,500 pounds for a regular cab, 2WD model with the 6.6L Duramax Turbodiesel V8. This bests the Ram Heavy Duty's max towing of 35,100 pounds. Max payload sits at 7,466 pounds. To handle all of this weight, Chevrolet has beefed up the frame, axles, prop shafts, and improved cooling.
      In terms of the engines, Chevrolet is finally talking about the new gas engine they have been teasing for some time. It a 6.6L V8 producing 401 horsepower and 464 pound-feet of torque - up 41 and 84 when compared to the current 6.0L V8. This is paired up with a six-speed automatic. Optional is the 6.6L Duramax Turbodiesel V8 with 445 horsepower and 910 pound-feet of torque, teamed with a ten-speed automatic.
      Like the recently announced GMC Sierra HD, the Silverado HD will get the ProGrade Trailering system featuring 15 camera views, including a transparent trailer view that can see through a trailer while towing.
      Chevrolet will be rolling out the Silverado HD later this summer.
      Gallery: 2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD
      Source: Autoblog , Roadshow
    • By William Maley
      Chevrolet didn't want to have Ford hogging the spotlight today in terms of heavy-duty pickups, so they spilled some more details on the upcoming Silverado HD at an event in Flint, MI.
      Let's start with some big numbers. Chevrolet is claiming all dually Silverado HDs are capable of towing over 30,000 pounds, with max being 35,500 pounds for a regular cab, 2WD model with the 6.6L Duramax Turbodiesel V8. This bests the Ram Heavy Duty's max towing of 35,100 pounds. Max payload sits at 7,466 pounds. To handle all of this weight, Chevrolet has beefed up the frame, axles, prop shafts, and improved cooling.
      In terms of the engines, Chevrolet is finally talking about the new gas engine they have been teasing for some time. It a 6.6L V8 producing 401 horsepower and 464 pound-feet of torque - up 41 and 84 when compared to the current 6.0L V8. This is paired up with a six-speed automatic. Optional is the 6.6L Duramax Turbodiesel V8 with 445 horsepower and 910 pound-feet of torque, teamed with a ten-speed automatic.
      Like the recently announced GMC Sierra HD, the Silverado HD will get the ProGrade Trailering system featuring 15 camera views, including a transparent trailer view that can see through a trailer while towing.
      Chevrolet will be rolling out the Silverado HD later this summer.
      Gallery: 2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD
      Source: Autoblog , Roadshow

View full article
    • By William Maley
      "I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal from the A-Team.
      I wasn't expecting to get back into a review vehicle for some time as the Detroit Auto Show tends to reduce the number of vehicles available - they're reserved for those coming out-of-state and OEM representatives. I thought next month is when I would begin my rotation once again. But a surprise email this morning from General Motors asking if I was able to take a 2019 Chevrolet Silverado today. Of course!
      This particular Silverado is an LT Trail Boss Crew Cab with the 5.3L V8 and eight-speed automatic transmission. Base is $48,300 and my as-tested price comes to $55,965 with a few option packages like the Convenience package (front bucket seats, dual-zone climate control, and heated steering wheel).
      First Impressions?
      Even though it may appear the truck is black, it is actually painted a dark blue (blame my iPhone). Even though I'm not sold on the design on the Silverado as a whole, the Trail Boss make it look aggressive. Interior looks a rehash of the one seen in the previous Silverado. Material quality is better, but I was kind of hoping more in terms of design. 5.3L V8 doesn't feel muzzled when leaving a stop or needing to accelerate quickly - THANK YOU GM! Haven't quite figured out how to open the power tailgate. Spent a few moments just pressing the button and not having the tailgate come down. Need to some reading in the owners manual. I'll be trying my best to update this piece with other observations and impressions throughout the week. You can also drop some questions below if you want to something about the truck.
      Gallery: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado LT Trail Boss Crew Cab
    • By William Maley
      "I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal from the A-Team.
      I wasn't expecting to get back into a review vehicle for some time as the Detroit Auto Show tends to reduce the number of vehicles available - they're reserved for those coming out-of-state and OEM representatives. I thought next month is when I would begin my rotation once again. But a surprise email this morning from General Motors asking if I was able to take a 2019 Chevrolet Silverado today. Of course!
      This particular Silverado is an LT Trail Boss Crew Cab with the 5.3L V8 and eight-speed automatic transmission. Base is $48,300 and my as-tested price comes to $55,965 with a few option packages like the Convenience package (front bucket seats, dual-zone climate control, and heated steering wheel).
      First Impressions?
      Even though it may appear the truck is black, it is actually painted a dark blue (blame my iPhone). Even though I'm not sold on the design on the Silverado as a whole, the Trail Boss make it look aggressive. Interior looks a rehash of the one seen in the previous Silverado. Material quality is better, but I was kind of hoping more in terms of design. 5.3L V8 doesn't feel muzzled when leaving a stop or needing to accelerate quickly - THANK YOU GM! Haven't quite figured out how to open the power tailgate. Spent a few moments just pressing the button and not having the tailgate come down. Need to some reading in the owners manual. I'll be trying my best to update this piece with other observations and impressions throughout the week. You can also drop some questions below if you want to something about the truck.
      Gallery: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado LT Trail Boss Crew Cab

View full article
  • My Clubs