After Years of Insuffiency...

Cory Wolfe

I have finally bought myself a decent laptop. After advertising $500 off throughout this holiday season (and receiving some holiday cash), I decided to bite the bullet and buy a Lenovo Y400. For $750, I got a 3rd gen Intel Core i7, 8GB of ram, 1TB of hard drive, and a NVIDIA GeForce GT650M graphics card. It also has a few luxuries I was looking for such as a backlit keyboard, decent speakers (JBL... though, I've never been impressed with any laptop's built in sound, so we'll see), and a metal cover. Here's to hoping it meets all my needs and wants once it arrives. I can't imagine it wouldn't, besides the twisted functionality of Windows 8, anyways. If you consider that I've been using a desktop with a lousy 1GB of ram, 250GB hard drive, and an Intel Pentium D processor with ancient built in graphics, it ought to be a fairly decent upgrade. :P

Lenovo IdeaPad Y400

IdeaPad-Y400-Laptop-PC-Front-Back-View-1L-940x475.jpg

Now, hopefully it will arrive in time for Detroit. It would really come in handy...

We've been very happy with both of the Ideapads in this house. Albert's Y510 is 4.5 years old and just starting to show signs of age (hinges are lose and can't be tightened up any more) and my 3 year old U350, which has been all over the world with me, will be making its 4th round of auto shows over the next few months. Nary a reliability issue with either.

My current work has me with a Lenovo 530, 16gb ram, 500GB SSD, NVidia Quadro K1000, i7 - 3720QM with docking station and 27" monitor.

I have to say that this setup like all past experiances with IBM rocks :metal:

Have had failures with Acer and cannot ever recommend their products.

HP are not bad but had some flakey issues.

DELL Rocks also as desktops and laptops.

Over all I would recommend IBM for a long term laptop.

I moved into my company's new office this morning. Still have the same desk and chair from the old office (new ergonomic furniture arriving in a couple weeks), but I did get a new Apple Thunderbolt 27 inch monitor (replacing the old 24 inch Dell monitor) to use w/ with my 8gb Mac Book Pro laptop.

I moved into my company's new office this morning. Still have the same desk and chair from the old office (new ergonomic furniture arriving in a couple weeks), but I did get a new Apple Thunderbolt 27 inch monitor (replacing the old 24 inch Dell monitor) to use w/ with my 8gb Mac Book Pro laptop.

Very nice Monitor, those here that use mac's and have the 27"thunderbolts then plug in their 24" dell monitor to do multimonitor and it seems to work really well.

Very nice Monitor, those here that use mac's and have the 27"thunderbolts then plug in their 24" dell monitor to do multimonitor and it seems to work really well.

I might try that, we have a few of the Dells in our storage room...I've never been much for multiple monitors, I'm more a fan of having multiple virtual desktops...

I might try that, we have a few of the Dells in our storage room...I've never been much for multiple monitors, I'm more a fan of having multiple virtual desktops...

Trust me, once you go Multi Monitor with Multi View Desktops you will never go back. Even in the windows world having mulitiple monitors with multiple desktops allows for a ton of beneficial multi tasking.

Latest bug from Apple for the Do Not Distrube is now a feature that will auto correct itself at 12:01am Jan 7th 2013 according to a tech posting on Apples web site.

Too funny, this bug affects all Iphones, Ipads and Ipad Mini and they have the balls to say it is not a bug but an auto correction. If Microsoft had this problem the world would roast them as building crappy software. But because it is the holly Apple company you are allowed to have bugs.

Sad double standard. :fryingpan:

Windows 8 is a bit weird in comparison to what windows users have been used to using, but I will say on a touch screen laptop, tablet or computer it is pretty cool.

Good on ya...

Keep us 7 users posted on the likeability of 8.. I am concerned!

I have been buying ASUS machines for my office... They've held up great also! Nice materials and I'm quite fond of the usage of aluminum in their shells also.

Be prepared for less options as Intel moves to having the CPU, Memory and video all soldiered onto the motherboards. The plan is to have 50% of all products shipped built this way as non upgradable units world wide as they have found less than 20% of people actually upgrade their units once bought and as such can save plenty by getting rid of the brackets that allows components to be upgraded. Intel is planning by 2015 to have only 10% of systems being build-able for the do it yourself crowd .