Deletions

- (88U) Medium Gray Metallic exterior color

- (92U) Silver Green Metallic exterior color

- (AK5) Dual-stage frontal driver and right front passenger air bags

New Features

- (53U) Amber Bronze Metallic exterior color

- (75U) Dark Gray Metallic exterior color

- (78U) Golden Pewter Metallic exterior color

- (AY1) Dual-stage frontal driver and right front passenger air bags and head curtain front and rear outboard side impact air bags

- Turn-by-turn navigation available with (UE1) OnStar

- (PDD) Driver Convenience Package

- (PCW) Enhanced Safety Package

- (LZ4) 3.5L 3500 V6 engine with cam-phasing replaces the (LX9) 3.5L 3500 V6 engine

Changes

- Horsepower and torque changes for new V6 powertrain - 3.5L V6

- (MX0) 4-speed automatic transmission now designated by (MN5) 4-speed automatic transmission with electronic range selector on LS, LT and LTZ models and (M15) 4-speed automatic transmission with tap-up and tap-down on SS models

- LT Sedan equipment groups are now 1LT and 2LT

- LT MAXX equipment groups is now 2LT

The new 3.5L engine is rated at 211HP @ 5800rpm and 214lb-ft @ 4000rpm.

Good riddance to Silver Green-interesting, but never seemed to belong there anyway-more of a Bronze really if its the color I'm thinking of. Still the wrong V-6 engine with not enough horsepower, however.

My thinking on this is actually starting to change. If you've got a 240+hp (Honda, Nissan) or 265+hp (Toyota) V6 engine, you're likely to get a foot into it. I know that my type of driving starts to adapt to the amount of power I've got available. You give me more power, and I'll start to use it more and more - making my gas mileage dip lower and lower. A torquey, 200+hp engine is fine for everday, family-car type use. A sport enthusiast isn't going to crave it (but they'd probably buy the 240hp SS model anyways). GM can offer a torquey, medium hp, *great* gas mileage V6. Virtually nobody else has that "middle"-tier engine that gives you enough hp to have a little fun while giving you great gas mileage to boot. With gas now expected to peak betweem 3.50 and 4.00/us gall. this summer, this engine option might find itself valuable.

Unfortunately, general public opinion and auto-reviewers have been trained into a bigger=better mentality that looks little past that high hp number.

My thinking on this is actually starting to change.  If you've got a 240+hp (Honda, Nissan) or 265+hp (Toyota) V6 engine, you're likely to get a foot into it.  I know that my type of driving starts to adapt to the amount of power I've got available.  You give me more power, and I'll start to use it more and more - making my gas mileage dip lower and lower.  A torquey, 200+hp engine is fine for everday, family-car type use.  A sport enthusiast isn't going to crave it (but they'd probably buy the 240hp SS model anyways).  GM can offer a torquey, medium hp, *great* gas mileage V6.  Virtually nobody else has that "middle"-tier engine that gives you enough hp to have a little fun while giving you great gas mileage to boot.  With gas now expected to peak betweem 3.50 and 4.00/us gall. this summer, this engine option might find itself valuable.

Unfortunately, general public opinion and auto-reviewers have been trained into a bigger=better mentality that looks little past that high hp number.

I know what you mean. Self-control is tough when you've got lots of power and a sensitive throttle. I've gotten 14 MPG out of our Odyssey because it's just so much fun to floor-to-pass and peel out of stop signs, even when it isn't very neccessary.

I like the BMW approach best, which is 2nd gear starts, looong-range throttle, and a heavy pedal. You get good economy and a smooth drive, but when it comes time to pass or drive sportingly, you get the power.

Back to GM's approach, the only thing I'm afraid of is convincing the buyer from a four-banger.

Edited by empowah

With me, my driving works like this:

If I have the extra hp, great... I tend to accellerate very light (unless merging onto a parkway and I need the extra power). I drive very conservative, although once in a blue moon, I like to hit the gas hard and drive hard. Obviously with my current car, I can't really do that. But if I had the power in a car, it'd be nice to know--I'd definitely use it once in a while. If it wasn't there, I'm sure I'd miss it on those occassions when I want to rev an engine, hear a growl, and feel the throwback.

My driving habits were destroyed when I bought that Camaro when I was 18.. Things have never been the same since. Don't get me wrong: I don't beat the crap out of my car every time I get into it. I drive my Malibu very conservatively.. mostly because it's a 4cyl. It's just that when I do own/drive cars with power, I find myself slipping back into that "roll the windows down, crank the radio, and let's see if I can stuff the gas pedal through the firewall and halfway into the intake" mentaility.

FOUR SPEED automatic.....

LOL

Isn't that what your Asstek has? lol :P

My driving habits were destroyed when I bought that Camaro when I was 18.. Things have never been the same since.  Don't get me wrong: I don't beat the crap out of my car every time I get into it.  I drive my Malibu very conservatively.. mostly because it's a 4cyl.  It's just that when I do own/drive cars with power, I find myself slipping back into that "roll the windows down, crank the radio, and let's see if I can stuff the gas pedal through the firewall and halfway into the intake" mentaility.

I like to go fast when the opportunnity presents itself. Usually on the road a trvel to and from school every day, I go faster than the speed limit (45). I would say I go 50-60 depending on traffic. Of course, I never tailgate, so if I have to slow down so be it. But I like going at least 50 on that long winding road, and so does my Shadow ^_^

As for the Malibu...meh, it's ugly, it still has a 4-speedd, and it's got a cheapo interior. To whoever is considering one, just buy an Aura...or even a G6

Edited by Dodgefan

My '04 Malibu serves it's purpose well for me. I have a 32.5 mile commute (each way) to/from work.. so I put on 22,000 mi/year on my car. The 36mpg is unbeatable -- especially in a mid-size sedan. I can haul the family around fairly comfortably, and run up the miles on it. The Ecotec is known as a very reliable powerplant (as has GM's 4speed transmission <- as it should be at this point in it's lifecycle - it's older than dirt) - and the entry point of the car was ridiculously cheap. In short, it's reliable, cheap transportation - which what pretty much what I was looking for. It didn't make that much fiscal sense to go "over-buy" a car and then run up 22k in miles on it. Providing I don't have any serious accidents with this car, I plan on hanging onto it for another 5 years or so and pushing it into the 150k mi-range.. and then I'll cycle back to something more exciting.

My '04 Malibu serves it's purpose well for me.  I have a 32.5 mile commute (each way) to/from work.. so I put on 22,000 mi/year on my  car.  The 36mpg is unbeatable -- especially in a mid-size sedan.  I can haul the family around fairly comfortably, and run up the miles on it.  The Ecotec is known as a very reliable powerplant (as has GM's 4speed transmission  <- as it should be at this point in it's lifecycle - it's older than dirt) - and the entry point of the car was ridiculously cheap.  In short, it's reliable, cheap transportation - which what pretty much what I was looking for.  It didn't make that much fiscal sense to go "over-buy" a car and then run up 22k in miles on it.  Providing I don't have any serious accidents with this car, I plan on hanging onto it for another 5 years or so and pushing it into the 150k mi-range.. and then I'll cycle back to something more exciting.

I see your point, but you gotta admit, it ain't pretty :P The problem is that a lottapeople aren't just looking for cheap, basic transportation. When they do, often time they turn to the Koreans. Having the base model with a low price, Ecotec/4-speed is fine for base, but that dosn't mean he car has to look boring/ugly. The interior should have gotten a new center stack, and the materials should get at least a slight quality boost.

Guest YellowJacket894

Still needs more.

I mean, the Malibu is not a bad car, but it needs a new interior design and a set of new headlights to make me feel satisfied.

I see your point, but you gotta admit, it ain't pretty :P The problem is that a lottapeople aren't just looking for cheap, basic transportation. When they do, often time they turn to the Koreans. Having the base model with a low price, Ecotec/4-speed is fine for base, but that dosn't mean he car has to look boring/ugly. The interior should have gotten a new center stack, and the materials should get at least a slight quality boost.

If people aren't looking for basic transportation, then why are so many ~$20k Accord, Camry, and Altima 4-bangers sold each year? There's nothing spectacular about them, but a hell of a lot of people sure do buy them.

I agree the Malibu could and should be better.

I'd buy a STratus before I bought a Malibu. Sure, it's outdated, and the interior sucks, but so does the Malibu's, and at least the Stratus is easy on the eyes. Plus you can get them cheap. There ya go: cheap, basic transportation that won't cause retenal damage :P

Edited by Dodgefan

As for the Malibu...meh, it's ugly, it still has a 4-speedd, and it's got a cheapo interior. To whoever is considering one, just buy an Aura...or even a G6

I have even better suggestions: Ford Fusion, Hyundai Sonata, Toyota Camry, etc.. Pretty much all G6's I've seen are just as shameful as the Malibu-add the dated engines and subpar passenger and cargo volume, equipment spec, etc. (For both Malibu and G6 I mean.)

• 2 weeks later...

Weird how the Malibu came out 3 years ago and it's already

one of the "oldest" cars in the GM lineup on paper. :(

I have even better suggestions: Ford Fusion, Hyundai Sonata, Toyota Camry, etc.. Pretty much all G6's I've seen are just as shameful as the Malibu-add the dated engines and subpar passenger and cargo volume, equipment spec, etc. (For both Malibu and G6 I mean.)

Subpar volume?

Try moving half a house with it... I did...