• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

William Maley

Jaguar News: Jaguar: Compact Luxury Is The Top Priority

By William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

January 23, 2013

The last time Jaguar did a small, entry-level luxury car, lets just say it wasn't great. Jaguar though is giving it another try. Jaguar global brand director Adrian Hallmark told Automotive News that the brand is hard at work on a new compact model.

"We have to get back into that segment. I won't say whether it's with a sedan or another body style or more than one car," Hallmark said.

The new models would be priced between $40,000 and $50,000. Jaguar is in the early stages of planning and which models/bodystyles are being considered.

One direction that Jaguar could head is doing a successor to the much maligned X-Type. Rumor has it that the model could use a shrunken version of Jaguar and Land Rover’s Premium Lightweight Architecture.

The other rumor flying around is a small Jaguar crossover. Hallmark said if Jaguar was to go down this road, the model would share a platform with Land Rover, but focus more with on-road performance.

"If we were to enter a crossover segment, then it would be more road-oriented rather than off-road. It would not be cut-and-paste. It would be using that core global competence," Hallmark said.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

A new X-Type would be cool, in multiple body styles :)

XA... no Scion would get mad...

XB.... grrr... ditto

XC... arg! Volvo got that one

XD.... DAMMIT!! WE NEED A WHOLE NEW NAMING SCHEME!!

I think they should use what they already have in spades:

Jag-A

Jag-B

Jag-C

or

Jag-1

Jag-3

Jag-5

I just think they should be able to do something better than X-Type.

If they do a crossover, it could be the XX.

If they did an Escalade competitor, it could be the XXX.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By dfelt
      88.61 MPH might not seem like fast or very exciting, but for a boat flying over water and going 12 mph faster than the previous record, a fast electric boat is amazing to see. Nice sound, faster than most.
      Full story can be read here: http://www.thedrive.com/tech/21587/jaguar-breaks-world-electric-boat-speed-record

• By William Maley
      While the spotlight has been on crossovers and their upcoming EV, Jaguar is still committed to building sports cars.
      “The F-Type has been a huge success. We love sports cars – and I use the plural quite deliberately. Whether that is delivered by a body variant or something else remains to be seen, but for now let’s just say that the body type is very important for us,” said Hanno Kirner, the person overseeing product strategy at Jaguar Land Rover.
      Emphasis mine. Jaguar only has one sports car at the moment - the F-Type. But according to Autocar, a second coupe being the successor to the XK (departed Jaguar's lineup in 2014). Some of their evidence comes from comments made by Jaguar’s head of design, Ian Callum last year.
      “I want a two-seater [the F-Type] and a 2+2. We’re working on something now. There’s nothing approved, but we instigate in design.”
      Reportedly, Callum's team completed a design concept for an XK replacement but was scrapped when Jaguar killed the XK.
      Autocar says this new successor to the XK isn't expected until after 2021. Part of this comes down to a new modular platform that is currently being worked on and will debut on the next-generation F-Type - due in 2019. This new platform is reportedly flexible enough to do a 2+2 coupe. Jaguar's Ingenium engine family will provide power for both models and expect some hot versions, including an SVR variant down the road. There is also talk about electrification, but that appears to be a long way out.
      Source: Autocar

View full article
    • By William Maley
      While the spotlight has been on crossovers and their upcoming EV, Jaguar is still committed to building sports cars.
      “The F-Type has been a huge success. We love sports cars – and I use the plural quite deliberately. Whether that is delivered by a body variant or something else remains to be seen, but for now let’s just say that the body type is very important for us,” said Hanno Kirner, the person overseeing product strategy at Jaguar Land Rover.
      Emphasis mine. Jaguar only has one sports car at the moment - the F-Type. But according to Autocar, a second coupe being the successor to the XK (departed Jaguar's lineup in 2014). Some of their evidence comes from comments made by Jaguar’s head of design, Ian Callum last year.
      “I want a two-seater [the F-Type] and a 2+2. We’re working on something now. There’s nothing approved, but we instigate in design.”
      Reportedly, Callum's team completed a design concept for an XK replacement but was scrapped when Jaguar killed the XK.
      Autocar says this new successor to the XK isn't expected until after 2021. Part of this comes down to a new modular platform that is currently being worked on and will debut on the next-generation F-Type - due in 2019. This new platform is reportedly flexible enough to do a 2+2 coupe. Jaguar's Ingenium engine family will provide power for both models and expect some hot versions, including an SVR variant down the road. There is also talk about electrification, but that appears to be a long way out.
    • By dfelt
      Green car report was able to go to New Jersey and at Jaguars North America HQ get to drive the I-Pace and see what it is all about. I will say this is very exciting as they say it has the interior space of their full size XJ sedan. Good read.
      https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1116036_2019-jaguar-i-pace-brief-first-drive-of-all-electric-luxury-crossover
    • By William Maley
      Jaguar is possibly working on another crossover, one to take on the likes of the Porsche Cayenne and BMW X5.
      Autocar reports that Jaguar is planning a flagship crossover to not only build on the massive success of their current crossovers (F-Pace and E-Pace), but also to attract wealthy customers, especially in China.
      Reportedly named J-Pace, the crossover will debut a new design language that is currently being worked on by design director Ian Callum. Underpinning the model will be the aluminum architecture used in the Range Rover. For the J-Pace, the architecture will be made slightly longer and wider. It will also sit lower for better on-road behavior. Also coming from the Range Rover will be a number of powertrains, including a plug-in hybrid. 
      The model is expected to launch in 2021.

View full article
  • My Clubs