Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Opel/Vauxhall News: Rumorpile: Next-Gen Opel/Vauxhall Insignia To Share Parts With Cadillac

By William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

February 4, 2013

Opel's interim CEO Thomas Sedran made some interesting comments concerning the Insignia replacement.

“We will draw on developments from within the parent company for the Insignia replacement. This provides us with the advantage of being able to use technology from GM that is also earmarked for Cadillac,” said Sedran.

This has lead Autocar to make the assumption that the Insignia replacement will have a sister car in the form of the next Cadillac XTS, both due out later this decade. While we're not quite sure that the Insignia and XTS will be sister cars, we could easily see the Insignia and XTS sharing some key components if the XTS sticks with FWD.

Source: Autocar

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

That would be a huge size change for Insignia and then leave a gap in the Opel lineup. Europeans are more sensitive to overall size than we are in the States. (that's what she said)

I think the XTS, de-contented and restyled, would make a great new Omega, but the Insignia would need to remain.

Wait, what next-gen XTS? I thought this was a one-gen stop-gap until Cadillac got that real flagship that's been a pipedream for so long...please tell me they aren't STILL trying to keep a Deville around longer?? The last of those buyers are about to hit 70!!

Wait, what next-gen XTS? I thought this was a one-gen stop-gap until Cadillac got that real flagship that's been a pipedream for so long...please tell me they aren't STILL trying to keep a Deville around longer?? The last of those buyers are about to hit 70!!

Could make sense for the fleet business in the US... Don't think it would make any sense to just convert a Cadillac into an Opel though...

Maybe they want to position the XTS longer-term as Cadillac's volume sedan..i.e. it's Lexus ES equivalent...

Maybe they want to position the XTS longer-term as Cadillac's volume sedan..i.e. it's Lexus ES equivalent...

If that's the case, what's Buick role then? :/

XTS makes sense to keep it around for the retiring baby boomers, livery/fleet sales. But in 5 years people who like a float ride like that will have their final car and I really only see the fleet sales for this ride.

After driving an XTS for almost a week, I'd say it will still be a sad day when that car goes away.... and I have a surprise for you folks who think that the AWD version can't run with the big boys.

That doesn't mean that Cadillac shouldn't do an S-Class competitor, but there is no reason for the XTS to not also exist.

XTS makes sense to keep it around for the retiring baby boomers, livery/fleet sales. But in 5 years people who like a float ride like that will have their final car and I really only see the fleet sales for this ride.

the XTS is not at all a float ride... not even close. the 300C, S-Class and E-Class are all more floaty than the XTS is. Please don't pre-judge the car if you haven't driven it.

the XTS is not at all a float ride... not even close. the 300C, S-Class and E-Class are all more floaty than the XTS is. Please don't pre-judge the car if you haven't driven it.

At our local Cadillac appreciation party where they had multiple ATS, etc for us to check out ( I posted the photo's in another thread) but I only drove the FWD with my dad and while he loved the car, I still felt it was a bit of a float ride. It could be due to me driving all SUV's and my Trailblazer SS that just rides like being on rails. But to me I thought it was better than old Devill's but still was a float ride in my opinion.

At our local Cadillac appreciation party where they had multiple ATS, etc for us to check out ( I posted the photo's in another thread) but I only drove the FWD with my dad and while he loved the car, I still felt it was a bit of a float ride. It could be due to me driving all SUV's and my Trailblazer SS that just rides like being on rails. But to me I thought it was better than old Devill's but still was a float ride in my opinion.

It is on the firmer side of the middle of the class I think. It's not a sports car but it's not my '81 Oldsmobile either. But my point is, if the E-class has an acceptable level of firmness, than the XTS should be even better as it is a firmer ride. I've driven E-class, S-class, XTS, and 300c all back to back and the XTS is the firmest of the group (Not firmer than 300C SRT-8 though)

I can see a place for the XTS model in the future Cadillac lineup. For those who want the spacious interior of the future large Cadillac but without the high price while wanting something less sporty then the next CTS model as well! All of those in the premium market dont want a sports sedan as much as they want a luxury sedan and the XTS could fill out this softer,less performance oriented mission very well!

Edited by Carguy

I'll tell you this... the XTS is a large FWD based sedan which means none of you will give it a chance.... but it is waaay more nimble than a big Cadillac sedan has any business being. In AWD form, it can send something like 70% of the torque to the limited slip differential in the rear.... and I have proof of it. ;-)

I give it credit as it is a nice car, bit small for what I am used to in a SUV and due to being big and not as big as my Grandfathers Brougham but it is big and nice. I see the point your making Drew and compared to the competition it is stiff when I think about it, but then I was expecting I guess even more than what it is and that is a mistake now that I have thought about it. It was never meant to be a bigger version of the CTS.

I still think it has a place in the Caddy line up longer than the 3-5 years people thought of as a stop gap measure.