Cheers or Jeers: Studebaker Scotsman

Cheers ot Jeers: Studebaker Scotsman  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Cheers or Jeers?

• Cheers! I bet no one else on the block has one!
    • Jeers! Possibly the most aesthetically baren interior ever...

Cheers or Jeers: 1958 Studebaker Scotsman

Link: http://brainerd.craigslist.org/cto/3769660642.html

I have here a rare 1958 Scotsman Studebaker. These models were only made for two years. It has a clear title and current plates. I have one original key for it. It is not running but the engine is not froze up. It's a small six, I believe 169 cu. The previous owner took the head off to repair a broken valve which he never finished. The radiator, rotor cap, plug wires and air cleaner box, battery are not there. I have the rear window separate from the vehicle and front windshield does have a crack in it. This is a rolling project with Chevy Rally wheels. I have three of the original wide wheels that go with it. To the right person this would one heck of a great project. The price is $3,500.00 OBO

3G23I13J95Ec5F65H2d4rcf2782abb2f7173f.jp

3Kb3Ic3Jf5L25O55M5d4r62da8a82e7bb18f3.jp

3Ga3I73M95I25J35M6d4r5de1d12d756112ad.jp

Studebaker had a Scotsman car as well...I guess the name was from the stereotype of Scots being thrifty. Didn't know they used that name on trucks also.

24B-RealStudebaker.jpeg

1958studebakerscotsmansedandelivery-dec8

Studebaker-Scotsman_mp204_pic_25861.jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Yea, the Scotsman line was uber-stripped- shows up more obviously in the car line than the truck; '50s trucks seldom strayed from the 'Scotsman Approach' as a whole.

The '50s Stude trucks have some nice lines, the cabs are really rounded, tho I prefer the M-Series to the E-Series.

Definitely did not look like the rest of the market's pickups in 1958 (most going to quad headlights for '58).

'58 Scotsman Pickup brochure:

1958%20Studebaker%20Scotsman%20Pickup-01

1958%20Studebaker%20Scotsman%20Pickup-02

Link: http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Studebaker/1958%20Studebaker/1958%20Studebaker%20Scotsman%20Pickup%20Folder/1958%20Studebaker%20Scotsman%20Pickup-01.html

Yea, the Scotsman line was uber-stripped- shows up more obviously in the car line than the truck; '50s trucks seldom strayed from the 'Scotsman Approach' as a whole.

The '50s Stude trucks have some nice lines, the cabs are really rounded, tho I prefer the M-Series to the E-Series.

That uber-stripped character makes them the anti-1950s-typical-American-car, then... Interesting!

^ I would not say that. Plenty of '50s cars were stripped out themselves, loads of Ford Customs, Plymouth Savoys, Chevy 150s, etc. Since the resto boom starting in the '80s, a much higher percentage of existing '50s cars today are notably better equipped than back in the day. IMO, the RANGE of equipment varied much more than today.

The 1950s decade saw the greatest degree of change over 10 years than any other. A Chrysler in 1950 had either 116 or 135 HP. By 1960, the top engine was (by many accounts; vastly underrated) 400 HP and was clocked at 145 MPH @ Daytona. There is, of course, far more evidence of this sort of thing.

If you are referring to the typical level of trim on '50s cars, then of course; YES. :)

RE the Scotsman cars, they are SO spartan (the painted hubcaps, for EX), they remind me of '60s mainstream mercedes.

Edited by balthazar

^ I would not say that. Plenty of '50s cars were stripped out themselves, loads of Ford Customs, Plymouth Savoys, Chevy 150s, etc. Since the resto boom starting in the '80s, a much higher percentage of existing '50s cars today are notably better equipped than back in the day. IMO, the RANGE of equipment varied much more than today.

The 1950s decade saw the greatest degree of change over 10 years than any other. A Chrysler in 1950 had either 116 or 135 HP. By 1960, the top engine was (by many accounts; vastly underrated) 400 HP and was clocked at 145 MPH @ Daytona. There is, of course, far more evidence of this sort of thing.

If you are referring to the typical level of trim on '50s cars, then of course; YES. :)

RE the Scotsman cars, they are SO spartan (the painted hubcaps, for EX), they remind me of '60s mainstream mercedes.

I was referring to my notion of what the " typical level of trim on '50s cars" is :)

Even styling-wise they seem (to my eyes) more subdued than, say, a 1958 Bel Air...

What I find funny is that in most ads of the '50s 'economical' seems to be the theme, especially with the trucks (of course back then a loaded pickup truck was not a common purchase like today). When you look at old b&w pictures of that time, most of the vehicles seem to be basic or mid-level trimmed, not the way they are depicted at car shows today (car shows will lead you to beileve that our society had a ton of money to spend on nothing but loaded up flashy cars). I can see why someone restoring an old car would add all of the options and features of a top line trim - if you're spending that kind of money do you really want a stripper? But it mistakenly gives the impression that nothing but fancy, well equipped cars were on the roads of the day.

That Studebaker truck looks like it was released in the late '40s and never updated. I guess you really didn't fix what wasn't broken back then if you were still making money :lol: