License Plates

Olds Guy

I challenge the need for the license plate and stickers. If states wanted to reduce costs, they could easily go to a standardized bar code plate on the rear of cars and all the officer has to do is have their window cam scan the plate and tell them if the license was paid for that year and if there is any other issues with the plate/car/owner. This would reduce the stickers and need for coming up with plates. Yes you could still have custom name plates, but most I think would care less about the plate and just pay their yearly fees.

You could take this one step farther and get rid of the plate all together and just go with a GPS tracker that must be installed on all auto's but then the Privacy Freaks would scream bloody murder that the gov has their tracking info even though they already do with cell's, nav's, Onstar etc.

Think of it as an RFID tag for each car that a police officer can scan for when pulling you over.

Its weird fro me to see the stickers on the back license plate. In more eastern states the sticker goes in the center of the windshield. It is funny how even state-to-state we have differant policies. I actually think that the licence plate sticker makes more sense. People behind you and cops would be able to see when someone is past due on their inspection that way.

• 3 weeks later...

Always wondered about this. There is a specific indented spot for the sticker on PA plates...yet every time I get a customer's trade in, everyone has done alternating sides year after year, 2012 on the left, 2014 on the right, etc. I even remember being young and my dad telling me very specifically when we lived in PA "it always has to be on the one corner", yet no one seems to do that. Not sure why it makes sense to have an expired sticker showing next to a new sticker, but common.

NJ tried doing this but after 3-4 years it stopped. I can't tell you how many people put the stickers in the wrong places :lol:

We still had to have the state inspection sticker displayed in the lower right (looking at the driver) corner of the windshield, this little sticker related to the expiration of the registration card we must also have in NJ. The theory was that all a cop had to do was look at your rear license plate to see if you were still valid with your registration. I think they were too small to see far away and if pulled over to verify the sticker they'd just end up asking for the registration card anyway.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74