Model : SRX

Year : 2005

Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06V125000

Recall Date : APR 19, 2006

Component: SUSPENSION:REAR

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 23077

Summary:

CERTAIN VEHICLES HAVE A LEFT OR RIGHT REAR SUSPENSION TOE LINK THAT COULD SEPARATE BECAUSE OF AN INCORRECT WELD.

Consequence:

IF THIS WERE TO OCCUR, THE AFFECTED REAR WHEEL WOULD BE ABLE TO TURN IN OR OUT, AFFECTING VEHICLE CONTROL, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE RIGHT AND LEFT TOE LINK AND REPLACE AS REQUIRED. IF A TOE LINK IS REPLACED, THE DEALER WILL PERFORM A WHEEL ALIGNMENT. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING MAY 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CADILLAC AT 1-866-982-2339.

Notes:

GM RECALL NO. 06029. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Make : CADILLAC

Model : STS

Year : 2005

Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06V125000

Recall Date : APR 19, 2006

Component: SUSPENSION:REAR

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 23077

Summary:

CERTAIN VEHICLES HAVE A LEFT OR RIGHT REAR SUSPENSION TOE LINK THAT COULD SEPARATE BECAUSE OF AN INCORRECT WELD.

Consequence:

IF THIS WERE TO OCCUR, THE AFFECTED REAR WHEEL WOULD BE ABLE TO TURN IN OR OUT, AFFECTING VEHICLE CONTROL, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE RIGHT AND LEFT TOE LINK AND REPLACE AS REQUIRED. IF A TOE LINK IS REPLACED, THE DEALER WILL PERFORM A WHEEL ALIGNMENT. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING MAY 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CADILLAC AT 1-866-982-2339.

Notes:

GM RECALL NO. 06029. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Make : SAAB

Model : 9-3

Year : 2001

Manufacturer : SAAB CARS USA, INC.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06V126000

Recall Date : APR 20, 2006

Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 11886

Summary:

ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE FUEL PUMP RETAINING TABS HOLDING THE FUEL LINES WERE DAMAGED DURING PRODUCTION.

Consequence:

OVER TIME, THIS COULD CAUSE THE FUEL LINES TO LOOSEN FROM THE PUMP RESULTING IN FUEL LEAKAGE. IF AN IGNITION SOURCE WERE PRESENT, THE FUEL MAY IGNITE RESULTING IN A VEHICLE FIRE.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL DEVELOP A SECURING BRACKET THAT WILL SECURE THE FUEL LINES TO THE FUEL PUMP EVEN IF THE PLASTIC RETAINING TABS SHOULD BREAK. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING MAY 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT SAAB AT 1-800-955-9007.

Notes:

SAAB RECALL NO. 06033. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV

I see a lot of use of the word "could." I'd much prefer any car company to simply get the word out and fix the problem. Every company will have some kind of recall. Heck my '97 Northstar still hasn't been in for the "recall" for the fuel lines and it's well on its way to the 200K mile club. Maybe GM wants to put it in one of their ads in response to those Toyota ads blathering about their mileage.

This is pretty bad, it's tough to take shots at Toyota's transmission recall with a recall like this. It's pretty serious.

At least Chrysler is only recalling vehicles for a wiper motor, lol

Recalls happen. Human beings producing products for other humans will always have these issues.

It's unfortunate that we try to make more of these situations (i.e. "Toyota sux cause .5% of their tranny's are bad or GM still has a way to go'...) than they really should be.

Vehicles are so complex and the relative repair rates have come down so dramatically that the worst new vehicles today are still much less problematic than years ago.

This is pretty bad, it's tough to take shots at Toyota's transmission recall with a recall like this. It's pretty serious.

At least Chrysler is only recalling vehicles for a wiper motor, lol

That sounds funny, and a suspension part sounds more important than wipers, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that wiper failure, during a rainstorm, is more likely to result in a crash than a rear suspension issue. A FRONT suspension issue, on the other hand, terribly serious.

Anyone know who makes the rear toe links??

That sounds funny, and a suspension part sounds more important than wipers, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that wiper failure, during a rainstorm, is more likely to result in a crash than a rear suspension issue.  A FRONT suspension issue, on the other hand, terribly serious.

Ford had a wiper recall a little while back. I believe it was a fire hazard.

What is this "DEALERS WILL DEVELOP A SECURING BRACKET THAT WILL SECURE THE FUEL LINES TO THE FUEL PUMP EVEN IF THE PLASTIC RETAINING TABS SHOULD BREAK" business for the Saab??? Sounds like they are simply going to leave it to each dealer to rig up a solution. That certainly would make me feel confident.

Edited by bdubsee

Vehicles are so complex and the relative repair rates have come down so dramatically that the worst new vehicles today are still much less problematic than years ago.

The 'new stuff' seems to work pretty well overall, but the systems & components that should be 'iron-clad' by now continue to have problems, which is disconcerting. Manufacturers are re-engineering for the sake of minute change, adding needless complexity and encountering problems. At some point the complexity has to reach a saturation point. For sure: the rate of increasing complexity is far outstripping the actual return.

That sounds funny, and a suspension part sounds more important than wipers, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that wiper failure, during a rainstorm, is more likely to result in a crash than a rear suspension issue.  A FRONT suspension issue, on the other hand, terribly serious.

Anyone know who makes the rear toe links??

Worst case sinario is your rear wheels collapse into the wheel well. Going 60, 70, 80 mph...how could anything bad possibly come from that?

As for wiper motors. Yeah in a rainstorm it could be tricky if the wiper fail, but then...the instant you notice they are not working...PULL THE F*** OVER!!! But I would think most people would notice the wipers not working before that time, unless it's a sudden faliure, in which case, my advice comes into play :P.

You're right about the fronts, especially in FWD cars, bu still, any issue with the suspension is a serious issue.

These things happen.

No need to overreact.

Unfortunately, the media does when it comes to American automakers.

Worst case sinario is your rear wheels collapse into the wheel well. Going 60, 70, 80 mph...how could anything bad possibly come from that?

As for wiper motors. Yeah in a rainstorm it could be tricky if the wiper fail, but then...the instant you notice they are not working...PULL THE F*** OVER!!! But I would think most people would notice the wipers not working before that time, unless it's a sudden faliure, in which case, my advice comes into play :P.

You're right about the fronts, especially in FWD cars, bu still, any issue with the suspension is a serious issue.

I certainly understand that, I performed structural analysis on front and rear suspension parts for years, corvette, fcar, ttruck, gmt800, saturn, gm10, ek, and the highly vaunted EV1.

Balthazar nailed it.

Mercedes-Mopar has the right idea. I think the next gen. RWD seadans

for Chevy, Buick & Pontiac could be re-tooled Sigmas. (STS) just as the

300/Magnum/Charger are just dummed-down E-class MBs. This means

the tooling, platform & chassis has a lot more life and there's less need

for reinventing the wheel evey 6 years.