Amd Kaveri/new gadgets..

Anyone looking forward to CES '14/release of Kaveri chips from mainstream pc makers? (oem in feb, i think?)

i'm still using the phenom 2 x6 1100t.... it's just over powered for what i do.

though i might just make a smaller 'box' with a kaveri in it and use it for the day to day things till i'd move all my games/settings over.

looking forward to any new gadgets?

i guess you'll have to wait for benchies...? but what other chip can play battelfield 4 at 1080 with a ~30fps average?

i just like the competition...and more so since it seems to be slowly diverging the 'core user' from the enthusiast....?

So far I have not had good luck with AMD. Their CPU's and box's seem to always be buggy and have never run reliable for Windows or Linux. So far while I love competition I have yet to stay on anything long term other than Intel.

After the original Athlon64s I pretty much gave up on AMD. I'd be willing to try them again if they gave me a compelling reason to, but cost alone isn't a big enough selling point.

Until AMD can build a processor and chipset that is equal or better than the 4th Gen Intel chips, they'll remain a market obscurity.

If they could build a laptop chipset that performed like Haswell in speed and power consumption, that also ran an integrated graphics card better than the Intel HD line, I'd sit up and pay attention.

• 2 weeks later...

Im planning on buying one of these for my brothers gaming computer if they are close enough to a base i5 4430 or something. I wanted to switch to AMD for my graphics card as they were better priced and wanted to get aboard their DirectX replacement Mantle, but Bitcoin mining has ruined AMDs slight price advantage in favour of a $100-200+ price jump on anything faster than a 7870.

The build in GPU seems impressive, and the CPU improvements should close them in on sandy intels

After the original Athlon64s I pretty much gave up on AMD. I'd be willing to try them again if they gave me a compelling reason to, but cost alone isn't a big enough selling point.

Until AMD can build a processor and chipset that is equal or better than the 4th Gen Intel chips, they'll remain a market obscurity.

If they could build a laptop chipset that performed like Haswell in speed and power consumption, that also ran an integrated graphics card better than the Intel HD line, I'd sit up and pay attention.

well, i'll just say that unlikely since AMD is basically a node behind. that is an increasing % difference as time continues. do you think the openCL and other "heterogeneous" computing advances pushed by AMD and that consortium will change the 'landscape' drastically in a few more iterations?

did see a post elsewhere that the transistor density for AMD's Kaveri is higher than haswell's. that will play a part in your speed and power critique.

Bitcoin mining has ruined AMDs slight price advantage in favour of a $100-200+ price jump on anything faster than a 7870.

'splain please?

AMD cards mine Bitcoins far more efficiently than nVidia's offerings. So demand for Bitcoins has driven the price up on AMD's cards, which used to have a price-advantage over nVidia.

It's a 'crypto-currency.' Entirely digital and technically, untraceable. But it has fluctuated wildly and since 'everyone' has jumped onto the bandwagon, it's hard to mine coins. People often spend more money on power and hardware than they make up in Bitcoins.

Lots of literature out there on it. Plus, there's all kinds of competing currencies like Litecoin and even Dogecoin lol!

It's a 'crypto-currency.' Entirely digital and technically, untraceable. But it has fluctuated wildly and since 'everyone' has jumped onto the bandwagon, it's hard to mine coins. People often spend more money on power and hardware than they make up in Bitcoins.

Lots of literature out there on it. Plus, there's all kinds of competing currencies like Litecoin and even Dogecoin lol!

And Coinye West.. $h!coin and variations have gotten a lot of press the last couple of years, but I'm skeptical of any 'currency' that isn't backed by a government.

Sounds like a multilevel marketing scam where the early in people make money and every one else gets the shaft!

O'h wait, the world governments are already doing that to us! :P

One thing out of CES I've thought interesting but probably more of a solution in search of a problem--curved screens...curved screen phones and TVs. Don't really see the point. And along w/ curved screens, flexible screens seem to be another trend...

If it was a 70" TV, I can see the purpose of a curved screen.... anything less than that and what is the point?

Though the curved TVs don't seem solve the issue of visibility from the sides..as they are convex..the ones shown were over 100 inches I think.

Actually I have some coworkers at the CES and they said the loved the smaller screens in the 45-65 inch range that were curved. Reason being is you can kill two birds with one stone. :huh:

Say you have a room that needs to function as an office but also a relaxing place to watch the ball game. Your curved screen can go in the corner and give the room a nice view for watching the ball game, but then when you need to sit in front of it as a large working monitor you have a great curved monitor to view and work on rather than having a multi-monitor setup that you end up angling two monitors to work on or more.

Curved Monitors will be come standard in work places where you need to see more data than a single monitor or 2/4 monitors would serve. Example is stock brokers, technology workers, 911 operators, just about any position where you need real estate to show everything at a glance rather than having a couple of smaller monitors.

http://4sims.net/curved-monitor-pc/

Take a look at these setups.

I love this 43" monitor/TV.

http://www.techhive.com/article/183208/43_Inch_Curved_Monitor_Can_Now_Be_Yours_For_Just_6500.html

Plus allot of this technology is coming through very cool new products like GaN or Gallium Nitride. We can thank this for the super bright LED's we are seeing on auto's and the new Super HD, 4K and 8K HD TV/Monitors.

http://www.ostendo.com/gan/

Same here at my work, I was able to when I started convince the Director to standardize the department on Dual NEC 27" MultiSync EA273wm monitors. Each person uses one in landscape mode and the other in Portrait mode. Allows great development of training documents and powerpoint presentations, etc.

With the 43" Ostendo Monitor that would easily replace the dual monitors and not have to worry about one being in Portrait mode.

... and back to the technology....

>implying AMD has 'technology.'

LoL...I haven't thought about AMD in years...my days of opening up and tinkering w/ a computer are long behind me...I stick w/ Mac Book Pros..

And Coinye West.. $h!coin and variations have gotten a lot of press the last couple of years, but I'm skeptical of any 'currency' that isn't backed by (guns).

fixed that last part. ;)

And Coinye West.. $h!coin and variations have gotten a lot of press the last couple of years, but I'm skeptical of any 'currency' that isn't backed by (guns).

fixed that last part. ;)

:puke: