Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

POWER Tools

Since we have a basic hand tool thread going why not a power tool thread? What's in your arsenal? What do you want add to it?

For drills, I actually have three. My very first power drill is a Black & Decker CDC1800. It's been a great drill but the NiCd batteries no longer hold a charge and it just doesn't fulfill my needs anymore. (3/8 chuck, 650rpm).

Last year I purchased a Skil 2364-02 720 rpm compact drill/driver. This has been a great little tool, having 2-speeds (which the B&D lacks) makes stripped screws a far less frequent occurrence.

A few months ago I was given a Makita 6227D, however it too had a dead NiCd battery. These are nice drills so I ordered a replacement NiMh battery for it. Unfortunately, it didn't fit properly and neither did the second one they sent me, so I'm waiting on a third to see if it will.

Along with the Makita drill I also received a matching flashlight and Ryobi 1/2 corded drill. I've used that a lot for heavy drilling. Only problem with it is that the chuck is worn so bits that aren't notched at the base can slip.

However, I for Christmas I received a Ryobi One+ Li-Ion kit containing P271 1600 rpm 1/2" chuck drill and a P234G impact driver (which I have been wanting for some time). They seems like really nice quality tools, and I can't wait to put these through their paces. I like how the One+ system Ryobi has been using for years means that any One+ tool (of which there are over 50) can use the Li-Ion batteries.

Rounding out my selection of drills is a Ryobi drill press I purchased on Craigslist and has been awesome for my needs.

I have a Skil 9296-01 angle grinder which sees a lot of duty grinding off old paint and surface rust from lawn mowers as well as sharpening blades. It works great, however I've found I don't like the push forward locking switch to turn it on and keep it on, as its very awkward to hold on and locking it can be dangerous because if it slips out of my hands it won't shut off. Next time I'd get one with a trigger type design.

I also have a no-name 8" orbital buffer.

Then there's the yard equipment: a gas powered Weed Wacker and many lawn mowers.

On my list of things I'd like to purchase are a miter saw, a circular saw, a reciprocating saw, (probably all Ryobi), and an Impact Wrench (probably a DeWalt corded).

I picked up an electric impact drill from harbor freight to do the exhaust on the CR-V with. Not bad for $45.

My "go to" power tool is my dremel, but I use that for mostly non-automotive stuff.

Other than that, I just have a B&D battery drill that just doesn't die. I wear out the batteries fast, but they aren't too expensive and I've got 4 chargers for them, so I'd rather not move to a new system.

Too much stuff to list... I inherited a ridiculous number of worn out tools from dad's collection.

When working on the cars, I rarely use anything besides the air powered impact and the cutoff wheel... and also use my rechargeable Ryobi drill. My supercheap MIG gets a little car time. I actually use power tools for building thing for non-car projects a lot more.

My favorite is the big gas powered abrasive cut-off saw. Looks something like this...

251989.jpg

Buts its not a Husqvarna... its yellow and has no chrome guard... and doesn't say 'rescue' of anything. Very useful in cutting a parts car into more manageable pieces.

Edited by SAmadei

Hoo boy, I don't know I could list them all. Maybe I can break it into segments :

Drilling ~

I have my first corded C-Man 3/8" drill, mid '90s- basement shop backup.

Dremel & 72-piece acc. kit : I don't have much use for it (light duty).

(2) Makita Li-Ion cordless 3/8" drills plus an impact driver. Drill #1 has driven thousands upon thousands of screws, quality piece.

DeWalt 1/2" corded drill- I don't know the amps offhand but I always use it with 2 hands.

Bosch Bulldog SDS hammer drill.

Sprunger table-top 12" drill press, 4-speed, late '60s.

Index Model 55 milling machine, 12-speed, 1940, weighs about 2000 lbs.

Superior 'camelback' floor model, 20", circa 1880, resto candidate.

killed : C-Man 14V cordless 3/8" drill.

I have another small table-top drill press, never used it, I believe it's Taiwanese. Works fine, needs to go.

Sold a small C-Man table drill press last fall, light duty.

I really like Makita drills. Compact & relatively lightweight. Rigid feels a bit more powerful, but they're much heavier to work with- gets tiring. DeWalt falls between the 2.

Cutting~

Makita chop saw, 10", cast iron base, maybe early '80s, I use it to cut scrap & firewood.

Makita 2708 8.5" table saw, circa 1990, hand-me-down from my brother, still kicking ass.

DeWalt DW715 12" chop saw, what a nice piece- love it. Friend just picked up a C-Man 10" chop saw- piece of junk (the laser is off about 1 degree and the fence is bowed). Useless for trim work.

DeWalt circular saw

Milwaukee Super SawZAll, 1990s

Central Pneumatic angle air grinder. This cheap piece of crap is almost 20 years old, still slicing steel pretty well.

Black & Decker jig saw, 1960s, works great (but doesn't like overly thick material).

Just replaced my B&D grinder (worn out) with a Bosch. Bosch makes some smooth, powerful motors.

Fien MultiMaster- the best in this field.

Bosch Pony router, nice piece.

Rockwell 14" band saw. Used regularly- indispensable.

What I have:

• Harbor Freight 1/2" drive corded electric impact wrench (probably the same one Drew has), worked great to remove front axle nuts on my 9-2x
  • Black & Decker corded drill

What I want:

• a corded electric ratcheting wrench (essentially an electric version of the 90-degree pneumatic wrenches that are common) in 3/8" or 1/4" drive, which turns out are pretty hard to find, so I'll probably look for a cordless version

What I want:

• a corded electric ratcheting wrench (essentially an electric version of the 90-degree pneumatic wrenches that are common) in 3/8" or 1/4" drive, which turns out are pretty hard to find, so I'll probably look for a cordless version

You know, I've been underwhelmed with the performance on 90-degree impacts. Seems like a bolt is virtually finger loose before these do anything, and mine collect dust. Mine are all air tools, though.

Speaking of electric impacts... I forgot to mention another tool I am really glad to have... My Milwaukee rechargeable Impact wrench. That and my lightweight floor jack and I can swap a flat tire in a couple minutes. Works good on scissor jacks that have a hex, too... just watch your fingers, as those scissor jacks can open and close FAST.