Sign in to follow this  
Variance

Spanish version of National Anthem

43 posts in this topic

And here's what Bush has to say on the matter...

WASHINGTON - The national anthem should be sung in English — not Spanish — President Bush declared Friday, amid growing restlessness over the millions of immigrants here illegally

"One of the things that's very important is, when we debate this issue, that we not lose our national soul," the president exclaimed. "One of the great things about America is that we've been able to take people from all walks of life bound as one nation under God. And that's the challenge ahead of us."

A Spanish language version of the national anthem was released Friday by a British music producer, Adam Kidron, who said he wanted to honor America's immigrants.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060428/ap_on_...national_anthem

i should be illegal to be here illegaly! my great grandparents went throught the process so can they. and whats with the mexico flag? if you like it go back there if its so great.

i should be illegal to be here illegaly! my great grandparents went throught the process so can they.

Um, no. They can't. The US won't allow them to. If they were allowed to immigrate legally, they would.

Illegal immigration isn't the problem, it's a symptom. The poverty in Latin American countries and the huge disparity in wealth between them and the US is a much bigger problem. On one side of the border, you have a poor country with no jobs available, and on the other, you have the richest country in the world with plenty of jobs readily available. What do you really expect a person to do?

Um, no.  They can't.  The US won't allow them to.  If they were allowed to immigrate legally, they would. 

Illegal immigration isn't the problem, it's a symptom.  The poverty in Latin American countries and the huge disparity in wealth between them and the US is a much bigger problem.  On one side of the border, you have a poor country with no jobs available, and on the other, you have the richest country in the world with plenty of jobs readily available.  What do you really expect a person to do?

And yet the great irony is Mexico's very own harsh illegal immigration policy.

with plenty of jobs readily available.

o rly?

How come our unemloyment rate is getting worse. I know alone 12 freinds that lost there jobs in the past year. And they werent fired and not even in the auto indusrty!

o rly?

How come our unemloyment rate is getting worse. I know alone 12 freinds that lost there jobs in the past year. And they werent fired and not even in the auto indusrty!

Hate to spoil your rant, but unemployment in the US has gone down in the past year. In fact it's lower now than it has been since early 2001.

Edited by Endo

Um, no.  They can't.  The US won't allow them to.  If they were allowed to immigrate legally, they would. 

Illegal immigration isn't the problem, it's a symptom.  The poverty in Latin American countries and the huge disparity in wealth between them and the US is a much bigger problem.  On one side of the border, you have a poor country with no jobs available, and on the other, you have the richest country in the world with plenty of jobs readily available.  What do you really expect a person to do?

Get in line like poor people in every other country that is not connected to the U.S. Illegal immigration is the problem and it needs to be solved immediately.

Posted Image

:D

im getting user posted image but is this what you ment

Posted Image

i new this was coming.

Once again, it's bull$h!, it should be English, and those damn immigrants should be required to learn English, it' our nation's national anthem, and our nation's official language. Don't like it? Then get the f@#k out!!!!

The US doesn't have an official language. And complex international issues can't be simplified down to "learn to talk English good like us or get the f@#k out!"

The US doesn't have an official language.  And complex international issues can't be simplified down to "learn to talk English good like us or get the f@#k out!"

Of course it's not that simple, but I suppose next you're gonna tell me there's no official national athem? riiiight

No, see, that would be dumb. But I don't think there's any law against people putting their own spin on a song, even if it is unofficial. Besides, immigrants wouldn't be the first group to adopt their own alternate national anthem.

No, see, that would be dumb.  But I don't think there's any law against people putting their own spin on a song, even if it is unofficial.  Besides, immigrants wouldn't be the first group to adopt their own alternate national anthem.

Of course not...when was the last time you actually heard the "doth" in it? Most people change it to "does." Oh no they're ruining it!!!

I look at the whole thing this way: Bush can comment on language once he learns to speak English himself.

It's difficult to do business with some customers because they cannot speak English. People who come here should start to learn English before they emigrate so they can live a full life once here. English has been our predominant language since our country's founding and it will remain so. I am not picking on Spanish-speaking people only, but anyone from anywhere who comes here expecting to stay.

Guest YellowJacket894

im getting user posted image but is this what you ment

Posted Image

i new this was coming.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, the one I posted said, "Not Rly". But whatever. It's still a damn owl, brown or white.

This one is pretty cool:

Posted Image

(Sigh, I feel like an ass for trying to provide comic relief. :lol2::unsure: )

I bemember those commercials. That's funny stuff. Those owls always make me laugh.

This is absurd. How can one country be "united" when two languages

separate the population. I came here from Slovakia legaly and

learned english, so did the rest of my family. I have friends from

Brazil, Hungary & even a few from Spanish speaking countries and

all of them have learned english and function well in our country.

This is absurd. How can one country be "united" when two languages

separate the population.

Perhaps you should ask Canada,...

or Switzerland...

or India...

But seriously, these immigrants (or at least their children) will learn English, just like all the previous immigrants to this country. My Grandfather was born in this country to German immigrants and still he didn't speak anything but German until he began school.

This "Nuestro Himno" isn't a big deal. It's not even a direct translation, just an inspired song set to the same tune and designed to get people on both sides riled up and/or pissed off. Looks like it worked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuestro_Himno

"This is not the first time that the National Anthem has been translated into another language by ethnic and immigrant groups in the United States. In 1861, it was translated into German [3] (and is also on that page in Latin). It has been translated into Yiddish by Jewish immigrants[4]and into French by Cajuns.[5]. The website of the US State Department also has been providing mutliple Spanish versions of the anthem. "

It's difficult to do business with some customers because they cannot speak English.  People who come here should start to learn English before they emigrate so they can live a full life once here.  English has been our predominant language since our country's founding and it will remain so.  I am not picking on Spanish-speaking people only, but anyone from anywhere who comes here expecting to stay.

Of course, businesses who cater to those speaking other languages have some real comparative advantages as the foreigners see them as welcoming and accomodating and therefore get their business. Money talks, and it is more cost effective to hire multilingual employees than to lose the business of foreign customers.

Since the US does not have an official language, English has no more official status than Spanish or Swahili.

English is a majority in the US and people tend to go with the majority.

like...

Cars no one still has horse and buggy unless a car is against there religon

Cell phones

Computers

Internet

Homes (who perfers to sleep under a tree in a rain storm

Electricity

Running water

And there is no way you can say those aren't majorities.

So my point is that people Tend to go with the majority. even if they arent acustom to it.

And yet with all the hoopla, people tend to forget the facts. We not only have an official Spanish-language National Anthem, but four.

US State Department

This new one is crap not for the tongue its sung in, but because of the liberties - no pun intended - taken with the original context of the Anthem. Plus, the little pieces of Puerto Rican rap influences in it are mystifying and irritating.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this