Quick Drive: 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG

William Maley

My eyes almost dropped out of my head as I reading through the window sticker on the 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG. $63,815 as equipped?! ARE THEY SERIOUS?! I get the CLA45 AMG features one of the most one of the most powerful four-cylinders on sale and that AMG worked its magic all over the place. But almost $64,000?! This had better impress I thought as I got into the vehicle.

Well the CLA45's exterior does. The shape is very much a downsized CLS-Class and that is very much a good thing. The long-flowing front end, high belt line, sculpting on the doors, and short rear make the CLA a standout in the entry-level luxury class. This gets amped up with AMG bits such as new side skirts, front bumper, mesh grille, and rear diffuser. The only part I didn't like was the optional nineteen-inch, sixteen-spoke wheels. I just felt it made the design look like its trying too hard. Stick with the standard wheels.

The interior is another story. While Mercedes-Benz and AMG have tried their best to make CLA45 AMG feel very luxurious and premium, there are parts where some cheapness make an appearance. For example, certain trim pieces look and felt cheap. Then there is the optional COMMAND infotainment screen which looks like Mercedes-Benz stuck one of those TomTom portable navigation units on top of the dash.

As I said at the beginning, the CLA45 AMG has one the most powerful four-cylinders available today. That four-cylinder happens to be a turbocharged 2.0L inline-four with 355 horsepower and 332 pound-feet of torque. But when you get into it for the first time and hit the accelerator, there is this dead zone of power before the turbo spools up. Most likely this is an effort to improve fuel economy. Once the turbo does spool up, power comes in rapidly. This is accompanied by snorty engine note.

But the achilles heel of the CLA45 AMG is the seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox. The transmission hesitates when you're leaving a stop and seems to be confused of when it needs to up or downshift. I found that putting the transmission in the manual mode and using the paddles made it more enjoyable. I think if Mercedes-Benz had a bit more time to work on this dual-clutch transmission, it would be so much better.

On the handling front, the CLA45 AMG features revised suspension setup from AMG and a all-wheel drive system. Paired together, they make CLA45 AMG a joy to play around in. Body motions are kept in check, and the all-wheel drive system works its magic to keep power flowing and the vehicle on course. Steering has a nice heft to it and the feedback is plentiful. The only item I wish Mercedes would add is some sort of adjustable dampers. While I felt the firm ride was perfect on the curvy bits, it would be too much if I had to drive this daily.

The CLA45 AMG has some things I do like, such as the powertrain and looks. But other parts like the transmission and certain choices on the interior make me wonder why. Throw in that as-tested price, and the CLA45 AMG just seems too crazy for its own good.

Disclaimer: Mercedes-Benz Provided the CLA45 AMG for the MAMA Spring Rally

Year: 2014

Make: Mercedes-Benz

Model: CLA

Trim: CLA45 AMG

Engine: 2.0L Inline-Four Turbocharged Engine

Driveline: Seven-Speed Dual-Clutch Gearbox, All-Wheel Drive

Horsepower @ RPM: 355 @ 5,500

Torque @ RPM: 332 @ 1,250 to 4,000

Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - N/A

Curb Weight: 3,494 lbs

Location of Manufacture: N/A

Base Price: $47,450

As Tested Price: $63,815 (Includes $925.00 Destination Charge)

Options:

Black “Red Cut” Leather w/ AMG Performance Seats - $3,750

Driver Assistance Package - $2,500

Multimedia Package - $2,370

Premium Package - $2,300

Panorama Sunroof - $1,480

PARKTRONIC with Advanced Parking Assist - $970

19” 16-Spoke Alloy Wheel ~ Black - $850

Mountain Gray Paint Color - $720

AMG Performance Steering Wheel - $500

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

MB like BMW seems to have gone over the top in building over priced cheap auto's that only Badge snobs would pay for. They have Whored out their product line and need to clean house.

The only MB I have driven was a late '90s E430, and it too had distinct lags when hitting the gas AND in the brakes engaging. I see mercedes is still battling with the same engineering problems.

$64K and the infotainment is optional?? HUGELY overpriced, esp when you consider the base car starts at $29K. MB hasn't come close to adding $35K worth of value to this. They're going to have to slap S-class incentives on this to move it beyond the initial impulse buyers.

Edited by balthazar

I think $64k is insane for this car, if you took out the performance seats for $3,800 (which seems like a Porsche type option and price) and if they either made the premium package or multimedia package standard, then it gets down to $57k loaded, which I could see as reasonable.  I mean there are Nissan Maximas and Chevy Impalas priced over $40k, and a Chevy Tahoe can cost $70k loaded, so cars all over the place are over priced. 

My car has a bit of a dead zone in the pedal also, I think Mercedes just does that with a lot of cars, but it is good that they do or else my neck would be snapping back every time I hit the gas.  The other thing is Mercedes when in comfort setting on the transmission start in 2nd gear so they feel even more slow off the line, but I think it is done for comfort and the buyers over age 60.  On the CLA45 AMG they should include AirMatic, that would help with the suspension problem, that is an easy fix they have in house, so we'll see if they bother to do it.

Personally I'd much rather have the coming C400 with the 339 hp turbo V6, and you can get Airmatic on that and an AMG appearance package and it would probably be closer to $50k.

I would take a good American auto with a V8 over any of the German turbo 4 bangers or 6 any day. I can expect a low cost maintenance and long life compared to the over priced imagined value of BMW or MB.

There aren't many American V8s left anymore.  Lincoln doesn't have any, Cadillac only has the CTS-V which is much bigger and wouldn't surprise me if the new one pushes $90,000.  So you have the 300C/Charger and Chevy SS which are all big cars and not really luxury cars either.  Hard to compare a Mustang or Camaro to a CLA45 AMG, since it is coupe vs sedan, non-luxury vs luxury, etc.

I have a German V8 though and it is fabulous.  I wouldn't want a turbo 4 from any country.

dfelt didn't say "brand new".

CLA isn't a luxury car, it's a FWD appliance with abundant cheapness, according to too many reviews. It's rock bottom pricing also precludes it from being classified as 'luxury' (insanity that the AMG version's tag is, aside).

300C is much more appealing overall, IMO, primarily because it's not mistaken for a hyundai. 

dfelt didn't say "brand new".

CLA isn't a luxury car, it's a FWD appliance with abundant cheapness, according to too many reviews. It's rock bottom pricing also precludes it from being classified as 'luxury' (insanity that the AMG version's tag is, aside).

300C is much more appealing overall, IMO, primarily because it's not mistaken for a hyundai. 

Your are right Balthazar, I did not say "Brand New", Still having my 2004 SRX with V6 and having spruced it up, it is going to my parents who need a solid roomy car for getting around in their old age.

I have actually been look around for an AWD V8 SRX from the first generation as I love their boxy style, room inside and ease of working on them. Very Solid Reliable Luxury auto! :D

Hard to compare a 300C to a CLA, they are way different in size. That is like comparing an Impress WRX STi to a Chevy SS or Dodge Charger I doubt those are getting shopped too much.

If we are talking used cars at $60k one could get a 3 year old M5 or E63.

Hard to compare a 300C to a CLA, they are way different in size. That is like comparing an Impress WRX STi to a Chevy SS or Dodge Charger I doubt those are getting shopped too much.

If we are talking used cars at $60k one could get a 3 year old M5 or E63.

Would rather own a CTS V as the cost of maintenance, repairs, etc would still be considerably less than either the over priced and over rated M5 or E63. The M3 is superior in many ways to the M5.

So an Impress WRX and a Chevy Impala would be competitors? Or the ATS and Lacrosse are competitors? Obviously price is a big criteria, but size and driving characteristics of the car are nearly as important.

The CLA AMG doesn't have a lot of direct competitors, but I do agree at $63k there are many better options new or used. If the CLA45 for $47k base included airmatic and the premium package standard it think it would he a good deal and if the loaded price was more like $55k I could see that. Personally I am not a CLA fan, I don't like the car much, but if an STi or Evo is $40 grand then I can sort of understand the CLA's price.

Not sure also why everyone assumes Mercedes have such high repair costs when they are constantly near the top in 3rd party reliability studies. And look at resale value, a 200k mile Cadillac or Chrysler or Lincoln is worthless, I have seen 10 year old, 200k mile Mercedes selling for $12,000 or more.

The main problem is asking $64K for a FWD-based econocar that starts at $29K! Even at $55K, that's still trying to convince buyers it actually has $25K of additions over the base car- not remotely worth it. It should be $40-45K, right in the STI/Evo range since it's on the same level.

ATS & LaCrosse could be compared, of course, if the prices are comparable (I have not checked). The OEMs don't look at it that way, but you have to face the reality of how these cars are used- the exact same way; slogging thru traffic to the office & the mall.

The theory that people just absolutely cannot look at two cars that are 16" or so apart in OL would be enormous trouble for those marketers that continually spin the concept that buyers "trade up" thru a brand's lineup. If that were true, perhaps the best plan of attack IS to make a 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7-series all within 5 inches of each other.... because going by your position, no one who owned an e-class would EVER consider an s-class. ;) 

The main problem is asking $64K for a FWD-based econocar that starts at $29K! Even at $55K, that's still trying to convince buyers it actually has $25K of additions over the base car- not remotely worth it. It should be $40-45K, right in the STI/Evo range since it's on the same level.

So what about the Cadillac ELR?  That is a $76k FWD econo car.  The CLA is definitely a cut above the STi and Evo, those cars have no luxury features really and basic interiors.  The CLA starts more than $10k above an Impreza, I can easily see a CLA AMG costing $50k, but at $60k I think Mercedes themselves have better options.

The CLA45 does get 23/31 mpg, that is pretty good for a 355 hp car, so I do have to give it credit there.  I have also seen car magazines with the 0-60 time clocked at 4.2 to 4.5 seconds, that is pretty fast.  There aren't many 4 doors pulling 0-60 in the low 4's, so when you think of it that way, it isn't such a rip off.  Still not a car I'd buy though, but there will be a market for it.

So an Impress WRX and a Chevy Impala would be competitors? Or the ATS and Lacrosse are competitors? Obviously price is a big criteria, but size and driving characteristics of the car are nearly as important.

The CLA AMG doesn't have a lot of direct competitors, but I do agree at $63k there are many better options new or used. If the CLA45 for $47k base included airmatic and the premium package standard it think it would he a good deal and if the loaded price was more like $55k I could see that. Personally I am not a CLA fan, I don't like the car much, but if an STi or Evo is $40 grand then I can sort of understand the CLA's price.

Not sure also why everyone assumes Mercedes have such high repair costs when they are constantly near the top in 3rd party reliability studies. And look at resale value, a 200k mile Cadillac or Chrysler or Lincoln is worthless, I have seen 10 year old, 200k mile Mercedes selling for $12,000 or more.

You must live in a special market as Mercedes and BMW over 100K sell side by side with Chevy, Ford, Buicks. I have not seen them hold higher resell values like what you state.

In regards to repairs, the average tune up on BMW and MB runs 1500 compared to 500 for a cadillac and others. The one thing I hear all the time from coworkers is how much they complain about the cost of maintenance and repairs. When you compare them to Cadillac or even Infiniti and Lexus, BMW and MB are at the top in regards to repairs and maintenance. I have to assume this is one reason they tend to cover all maintenance now for the first 50K miles but then so does cadillac and others.

ELR is a stunner in & out, but I sure would have liked to see a Tesla-esque performance out of it to justify the price better. It's world's nicer in & out than the CLA, tho, from what I've seen & read. But the tag is too high there, too.

I have test drove the ELR along with the VOLT and they are Night and Day different beast and I agree with you the inside is so nice you cannot compare the two. The ELR beats the CLA's hands down as a superior car and superior interior.

Does the ELR go 0-60 in 4.2 seconds?  Superior depends on what you are looking for, if you want performance, the ELR is no good.  If you want a luxury car, then you aren't buying a CLA AMG when you can get an E-class for that money.

I will say the Mercedes dealer charges a lot, but I think a lot of dealers do and the Mercedes dealer always gives you a free loaner car which is nice.  But my car has a 13,000 mile oil change interval, there is spark plug replacement every 100,000 miles and engine coolant every 150,000 miles, and air and fuel filters are the same as any other car, transmission fluid is every 40,000 miles.  Pretty standard stuff and you don't need to go to a dealer for that.

The CLA45 is a Cruze/Focus competitor?  It is faster than a CTS V-sport.  Last I checked the Cruze couldn't do 0-60 in 4.2 seconds, and the CLA interior is a lot nicer than a Focus.  The CLA45 is probably the only car on the market that has over 350 hp, does 0-60 in under 4.5 seconds and gets over 30 mpg.  Off the top of my head I can't think of any other car that can claim that, especially not a sedan.  I think $64k is too much for one, but I think $70,000 for a Tahoe is too much, and $42,000 for a Nissan Maxima is too much; there are a lot of over priced cars out there.

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Walking around the Venue, you become surprised at how small this crossover is. It comes in at 13 feet long and just under 6 feet wide, making it slightly smaller than the Accent sedan. The design is very chunky and boxy, which helps with maximizing interior space. The front has some interesting design traits such as a similar grille seen on larger Hyundai crossovers and a split headlight arrangement. With a large glass area and tall roof, the Venue feels very open and spacious. Finding a comfortable position upfront is no problem and the seats provide a good balance of comfort and support. The rear legroom is a bit tight for any over six-feet. Cargo space is on the small end with 18.7 cubic feet with the rear seats up and 31.9 with them folded. The Nissan Kicks as a comparison offers 25.3 and 53.1 cubic feet of space respectively. The interior design is quite pleasant with contrasting plastics used on the dash and door panels. I also like how all models get an eight-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto as standard. Power for the Venue is a 1.6-liter four-cylinder with 121 horsepower and 113 pounds-feet of torque. The base SE has a six-speed manual as standard*, while a CVT is optional. My SEL tester only comes with the CVT. Power goes to the front wheels only. If most of your driving takes place in an urban area, then the Venue is a perfect partner. It responds quickly off the line and can keep with the flow of traffic. The small size and quick steering make it a breeze to nip around and fit into tight parking spots. The highway is a different story as it takes the engine a bit of time to get up to speed. I should note that isn’t exclusive to the Venue as all cars on the subcompact class experience this issue. Fuel economy is rated at 30 City/34 Highway/32 Combined. My average landed around 30.2 mpg in a 60/40 mix of rural and city driving. Having a short wheelbase usually means a pretty choppy ride. But the Venue’s suspension does a surprising job of minimizing the impacts. For the money, the Venue is surprisingly well equipped. All models come with automatic headlights, automatic emergency braking, lane departure warning, and an eight-inch touchscreen. The SEL is the sweet spot adding 15-inch alloys, automatic climate control, and a six-speaker audio system. It also allows you to order the Convenience package that adds blind-spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alert, and a sunroof. The Venue is perfect for someone who is looking for a new car and lives in an urban environment. The small size, nimble nature, and list of equipment make it a strong contender in the growing subcompact crossover class. But if you need more cargo space or planning on driving on the highway more than the city, save up a little bit more money and move up to a Kona. (*Author’s Note: Hyundai dropped the six-speed manual for the 2021 model year.)

Palisade Limited
      The Palisade is certainly a looker. Take the front end. There is a unique grille shape with a massive chrome surround, flanked by a split headlight arrangement. The Limited adds more a bit more chrome along with the windows and a set of 20-inch multi-spoke wheels. I think the abundance of chrome is a bit much. The interior could make some people at sister brand Genesis a bit envious. My Limited tester featured a suede headliner with openings for the dual glass roof panels; quilted door panels, and aluminum trim used throughout. Technology is another strong point to the Palisade. Similar to the Hyundai Sonata I drove earlier, the Palisade Limited comes with a reconfigurable 12.3-inch gauge display and a 10.2-inch infotainment system. Both are vibrant and easy to read even in direct sunlight. Hyundai's infotainment system still leads the way in being easy to use. Space is plentiful for front and second-row passengers. Third-row passengers get short-changed on legroom and seat padding. Limited and SEL come with seating for seven, while the base SE seats up to eight. Cargo space is in the mid-pack with 18 cubic feet with all seats up, 45.8 with the third-row folded, and 84 with all seats folded. The Palisade comes with a 3.8L V6 producing 291 horsepower and 269 pound-feet of torque. An eight-speed is teamed with either front-wheel or all-wheel drive. My tester had the latter. I never felt that I was looking for more power from the V6. Whether I leaving from a stop or needing to make a pass, the V6 and eight-speed automatic delivered a smooth and steady stream of power. Fuel economy is average for three-row crossovers. EPA says the Palisade AWD will return 19 City/24 Highway/21 Combined. I saw 22 in my week-long test. Ride quality could rival some luxury sedans as various road imperfections seem to be ironed out. Road and wind noise is almost non-existent. To be clear, the Palisade isn't trying to be any sort of sporty crossover. But I was surprised at how well it minimizes body roll when on a winding road. Considering Hyundai's past attempts at a large three-row crossover, the Palisade is a clear winner. The interior is class-leading, it offers a pleasant ride, performance is smooth, and the trademark value proposition is here. The Limited seen here comes in at just under $48,000 with destination. What may set some away is the Palisade's styling, which I'll admit I did like for the most part. Disclaimer: Hyundai Provided the Venue and Palisade; Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2020
      Make: Hyundai
      Model: Venue
      Trim: SEL
      Engine: 1.6L DPI Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: Front-Wheel Drive, CVT
      Horsepower @ RPM: 121 @ 6,300
      Torque @ RPM:  113 @ 4,500
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 30/34/32
      Curb Weight: 2,732 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Ulsan, South Korea
      Base Price: $19,250
      As Tested Price: $23,405 (Includes $1,120.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Premium Package - $1,750.00
      Convenience Package - $1,150.00
      Carpeted Floor Mats - $135.00
      Model: Palisade
      Trim: Limited AWD
      Engine: 3.8L GDI D-CVVT 24-Valve V6
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 291 @ 6,000
      Torque @ RPM: 262 @ 5,200
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 19/24/21
      Curb Weight: 4,387 lbs
      Base Price: $46,625
      As Tested Price: $47,905 (Includes $1,120.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Carpeted Floor Mats - $160.00

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Walking around the Venue, you become surprised at how small this crossover is. It comes in at 13 feet long and just under 6 feet wide, making it slightly smaller than the Accent sedan. The design is very chunky and boxy, which helps with maximizing interior space. The front has some interesting design traits such as a similar grille seen on larger Hyundai crossovers and a split headlight arrangement. With a large glass area and tall roof, the Venue feels very open and spacious. Finding a comfortable position upfront is no problem and the seats provide a good balance of comfort and support. The rear legroom is a bit tight for any over six-feet. Cargo space is on the small end with 18.7 cubic feet with the rear seats up and 31.9 with them folded. The Nissan Kicks as a comparison offers 25.3 and 53.1 cubic feet of space respectively. The interior design is quite pleasant with contrasting plastics used on the dash and door panels. I also like how all models get an eight-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto as standard. Power for the Venue is a 1.6-liter four-cylinder with 121 horsepower and 113 pounds-feet of torque. The base SE has a six-speed manual as standard*, while a CVT is optional. My SEL tester only comes with the CVT. Power goes to the front wheels only. If most of your driving takes place in an urban area, then the Venue is a perfect partner. It responds quickly off the line and can keep with the flow of traffic. The small size and quick steering make it a breeze to nip around and fit into tight parking spots. The highway is a different story as it takes the engine a bit of time to get up to speed. I should note that isn’t exclusive to the Venue as all cars on the subcompact class experience this issue. Fuel economy is rated at 30 City/34 Highway/32 Combined. My average landed around 30.2 mpg in a 60/40 mix of rural and city driving. Having a short wheelbase usually means a pretty choppy ride. But the Venue’s suspension does a surprising job of minimizing the impacts. For the money, the Venue is surprisingly well equipped. All models come with automatic headlights, automatic emergency braking, lane departure warning, and an eight-inch touchscreen. The SEL is the sweet spot adding 15-inch alloys, automatic climate control, and a six-speaker audio system. It also allows you to order the Convenience package that adds blind-spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alert, and a sunroof. The Venue is perfect for someone who is looking for a new car and lives in an urban environment. The small size, nimble nature, and list of equipment make it a strong contender in the growing subcompact crossover class. But if you need more cargo space or planning on driving on the highway more than the city, save up a little bit more money and move up to a Kona. (*Author’s Note: Hyundai dropped the six-speed manual for the 2021 model year.)

Palisade Limited
      The Palisade is certainly a looker. Take the front end. There is a unique grille shape with a massive chrome surround, flanked by a split headlight arrangement. The Limited adds more a bit more chrome along with the windows and a set of 20-inch multi-spoke wheels. I think the abundance of chrome is a bit much. The interior could make some people at sister brand Genesis a bit envious. My Limited tester featured a suede headliner with openings for the dual glass roof panels; quilted door panels, and aluminum trim used throughout. Technology is another strong point to the Palisade. Similar to the Hyundai Sonata I drove earlier, the Palisade Limited comes with a reconfigurable 12.3-inch gauge display and a 10.2-inch infotainment system. Both are vibrant and easy to read even in direct sunlight. Hyundai's infotainment system still leads the way in being easy to use. Space is plentiful for front and second-row passengers. Third-row passengers get short-changed on legroom and seat padding. Limited and SEL come with seating for seven, while the base SE seats up to eight. Cargo space is in the mid-pack with 18 cubic feet with all seats up, 45.8 with the third-row folded, and 84 with all seats folded. The Palisade comes with a 3.8L V6 producing 291 horsepower and 269 pound-feet of torque. An eight-speed is teamed with either front-wheel or all-wheel drive. My tester had the latter. I never felt that I was looking for more power from the V6. Whether I leaving from a stop or needing to make a pass, the V6 and eight-speed automatic delivered a smooth and steady stream of power. Fuel economy is average for three-row crossovers. EPA says the Palisade AWD will return 19 City/24 Highway/21 Combined. I saw 22 in my week-long test. Ride quality could rival some luxury sedans as various road imperfections seem to be ironed out. Road and wind noise is almost non-existent. To be clear, the Palisade isn't trying to be any sort of sporty crossover. But I was surprised at how well it minimizes body roll when on a winding road. Considering Hyundai's past attempts at a large three-row crossover, the Palisade is a clear winner. The interior is class-leading, it offers a pleasant ride, performance is smooth, and the trademark value proposition is here. The Limited seen here comes in at just under $48,000 with destination. What may set some away is the Palisade's styling, which I'll admit I did like for the most part. Disclaimer: Hyundai Provided the Venue and Palisade; Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Model: Venue
      Trim: SEL
      Engine: 1.6L DPI Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: Front-Wheel Drive, CVT
      Horsepower @ RPM: 121 @ 6,300
      Torque @ RPM:  113 @ 4,500
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 30/34/32
      Curb Weight: 2,732 lbs
      Base Price: $19,250
      As Tested Price: $23,405 (Includes $1,120.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Premium Package - $1,750.00
      Convenience Package - $1,150.00
      Carpeted Floor Mats - $135.00
      Model: Palisade
      Trim: Limited AWD
      Engine: 3.8L GDI D-CVVT 24-Valve V6
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 291 @ 6,000
      Torque @ RPM: 262 @ 5,200
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 19/24/21
      Curb Weight: 4,387 lbs
      Base Price: $46,625
      As Tested Price: $47,905 (Includes $1,120.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Carpeted Floor Mats - $160.00
    • By William Maley
      4Runner Venture Edition
      Not much has changed outside since we last checked out the 4Runner in 2016. It still has a blocky and chunky look that helps it stand apart from other SUVs. This Venture model adds several goodies such as TRD wheels, blacked-out trim pieces, and a Yakima roof rack; perfect if you decide to go adventuring. Inside, Toyota has made a massive update to the infotainment system. A larger eight-inch touchscreen running an updated version of Toyota’s Entune system is standard. This change makes it so much easier to operate the system either parked on while on the move. It doesn’t hurt that this system also brings forth Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Aside from this, the interior hasn’t changed. There is plenty of space for those sitting in the front or back, and controls are well marked. Power comes from the old, but reliable 4.0L V6 with 270 horsepower and 278 pound-feet of torque. This is paired with a five-speed automatic transmission. The base SR5 can be equipped rear-wheel or four-wheel drive, while other trims only come with four-wheel drive. The 4Runner’s performance is adequate. Around town, the V6 can get up to speed quickly and smoothly. But it struggles when trying to get up to higher speeds. Adding an extra gear would allow for more flexibility in terms of performance. It would also help fuel economy as I saw 15.4 mpg for the week. EPA figures are 16 City/19 Highway/17 Combined. My average for the week landed at 15.4 mpg. The 4Runner’s roots of being an old-school SUV show up prominently when driving on pavement. It has noticeable body roll-around turns and the ride quality is rough. One area that I sadly did not get to test was the off-road capability. With such features as Multi-Terrain Select and Crawl Control, this helps make the 4Runner very capable off-road. The 4Runner should be considered by someone who wants to venture off-road. For those who are planning to commute or go on family trips while on pavement, Toyota has other models that should be considered first.
      Land Cruiser Heritage Edition
      The Heritage Edition adds some nice touches to the Land Cruiser’s exterior such as 18-inch BBS wheels with a bronze finish, black accents for the front grille, and vintage-style “Land Cruiser” badges on the rear pillars. The Heritage Edition does lose the entry steps found on the standard model, making it somewhat difficult to get in and out. The interior looks somewhat boring in terms of the design, but Toyota nails the materials. Wood trim, supple leather, and soft-touch materials make this a very pleasant place to be in.  Despite having one of the larger screens in Toyota’s utility lineup, the Land Cruiser’s infotainment system leaves a lot to be desired. Using an older version of Entune, it feels sluggish and the graphics look somewhat dull. No Apple CarPlay or Android Auto to be found here as well. Anyone sitting in the front or second-row will have no complaints about space or comfort. No third-row is available on the Heritage Edition which helps boost cargo space from 41.3 cubic feet (with the third-row folded) to 53.5. Under the hood is a 5.7L V8 engine producing 381 horsepower and 401 pound-feet of torque. This is paired with an eight-speed automatic and a full-time four-wheel drive system.  Performance from this engine is impressive considering the Land Cruiser’s curb weight of almost 6,000 lbs. It will move away from a stop much faster than you first think. The only place where the engine seems to run out of steam is on the highway. The eight-speed automatic does an excellent job of providing smooth and quick shifts. I do wish it wasn’t giddy with trying to shift into top gear quickly. Fuel economy isn’t great with EPA figures of 13 City/17 Highway/14 Combined. I only got 13 mpg during my week. I was surprised at how well the Land Cruiser drove on pavement. It felt stable and provided a ride that made even some of the roughest roads feel smooth. There is a fair amount of body roll when cornering, but that is to be expected considering the size and intended purpose of this vehicle. I am bummed that I didn’t get the chance to take the Land Cruiser off-road during my week. But from reading other reviews, very few vehicles can match what is on offer. How to sum up the Land Cruiser Heritage Edition? This is a vehicle that will not impress most due to the poor fuel economy and aging infotainment system. But for a small group who are wanting something that can take them anywhere and back, and do it in comfort, the Land Cruiser is the right vehicle. (Addendum: As I post this review a few months late, I have some news on the Land Cruiser. Earlier this month, Toyota unveiled the next-generation model with a new twin-turbo V6 replacing the V8. The outside doesn't look that much different from the current model, but the interior has underwent some major changes. It is unclear whether or not we'll see this model arrive in the U.S. The best chance we possibly have is next-generation LX. Stay tuned. -WM)
      Disclaimer: Toyota Provided the SUVs, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Make: Toyota
      Model: 4Runner
      Trim: Venture
      Engine: 4.0L DOHC 24-Valve V6
      Driveline: Five-Speed Automatic, Four-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 270 @ 5,600
      Torque @ RPM: 278 @ 4,400
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 16/19/17
      Curb Weight: N/A
      Location of Manufacture: Tahara, Aichi, Japan
      Base Price: $44,285
      As Tested Price: $48,877 (Includes $1,120.00 Destination Charge and $730.00 Keep It Wild discount)
      Options:
      Kinentic Dynamic Suspension Suspension System (KDSS) - $1,750.00
      TRD Pro Exhaust - $799.00
      Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof - $730.00
      Running Boards - $345.00
      Cargo Floor Mats & Cargo Mat - $269.00
      Door Edge Guard - $79.00
      Model: Land Cruiser
      Trim: Heritage Edition
      Engine: 5.7L DOHC 32-Valve VVT-i V8
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, Four-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 381 @ 5,600
      Torque @ RPM: 401 @ 3,600
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 13/17/14
      Curb Weight: 5,715 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Toyota, Aichi, Japan
      Base Price: $87,645
      As Tested Price: $89,239 (Includes $1,295.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Glass Breakage Sensor - $299.00

View full article
    • By William Maley
      4Runner Venture Edition
      Not much has changed outside since we last checked out the 4Runner in 2016. It still has a blocky and chunky look that helps it stand apart from other SUVs. This Venture model adds several goodies such as TRD wheels, blacked-out trim pieces, and a Yakima roof rack; perfect if you decide to go adventuring. Inside, Toyota has made a massive update to the infotainment system. A larger eight-inch touchscreen running an updated version of Toyota’s Entune system is standard. This change makes it so much easier to operate the system either parked on while on the move. It doesn’t hurt that this system also brings forth Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Aside from this, the interior hasn’t changed. There is plenty of space for those sitting in the front or back, and controls are well marked. Power comes from the old, but reliable 4.0L V6 with 270 horsepower and 278 pound-feet of torque. This is paired with a five-speed automatic transmission. The base SR5 can be equipped rear-wheel or four-wheel drive, while other trims only come with four-wheel drive. The 4Runner’s performance is adequate. Around town, the V6 can get up to speed quickly and smoothly. But it struggles when trying to get up to higher speeds. Adding an extra gear would allow for more flexibility in terms of performance. It would also help fuel economy as I saw 15.4 mpg for the week. EPA figures are 16 City/19 Highway/17 Combined. My average for the week landed at 15.4 mpg. The 4Runner’s roots of being an old-school SUV show up prominently when driving on pavement. It has noticeable body roll-around turns and the ride quality is rough. One area that I sadly did not get to test was the off-road capability. With such features as Multi-Terrain Select and Crawl Control, this helps make the 4Runner very capable off-road. The 4Runner should be considered by someone who wants to venture off-road. For those who are planning to commute or go on family trips while on pavement, Toyota has other models that should be considered first.
      Land Cruiser Heritage Edition
      The Heritage Edition adds some nice touches to the Land Cruiser’s exterior such as 18-inch BBS wheels with a bronze finish, black accents for the front grille, and vintage-style “Land Cruiser” badges on the rear pillars. The Heritage Edition does lose the entry steps found on the standard model, making it somewhat difficult to get in and out. The interior looks somewhat boring in terms of the design, but Toyota nails the materials. Wood trim, supple leather, and soft-touch materials make this a very pleasant place to be in.  Despite having one of the larger screens in Toyota’s utility lineup, the Land Cruiser’s infotainment system leaves a lot to be desired. Using an older version of Entune, it feels sluggish and the graphics look somewhat dull. No Apple CarPlay or Android Auto to be found here as well. Anyone sitting in the front or second-row will have no complaints about space or comfort. No third-row is available on the Heritage Edition which helps boost cargo space from 41.3 cubic feet (with the third-row folded) to 53.5. Under the hood is a 5.7L V8 engine producing 381 horsepower and 401 pound-feet of torque. This is paired with an eight-speed automatic and a full-time four-wheel drive system.  Performance from this engine is impressive considering the Land Cruiser’s curb weight of almost 6,000 lbs. It will move away from a stop much faster than you first think. The only place where the engine seems to run out of steam is on the highway. The eight-speed automatic does an excellent job of providing smooth and quick shifts. I do wish it wasn’t giddy with trying to shift into top gear quickly. Fuel economy isn’t great with EPA figures of 13 City/17 Highway/14 Combined. I only got 13 mpg during my week. I was surprised at how well the Land Cruiser drove on pavement. It felt stable and provided a ride that made even some of the roughest roads feel smooth. There is a fair amount of body roll when cornering, but that is to be expected considering the size and intended purpose of this vehicle. I am bummed that I didn’t get the chance to take the Land Cruiser off-road during my week. But from reading other reviews, very few vehicles can match what is on offer. How to sum up the Land Cruiser Heritage Edition? This is a vehicle that will not impress most due to the poor fuel economy and aging infotainment system. But for a small group who are wanting something that can take them anywhere and back, and do it in comfort, the Land Cruiser is the right vehicle. (Addendum: As I post this review a few months late, I have some news on the Land Cruiser. Earlier this month, Toyota unveiled the next-generation model with a new twin-turbo V6 replacing the V8. The outside doesn't look that much different from the current model, but the interior has underwent some major changes. It is unclear whether or not we'll see this model arrive in the U.S. The best chance we possibly have is next-generation LX. Stay tuned. -WM)
      Disclaimer: Toyota Provided the SUVs, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Model: 4Runner
      Trim: Venture
      Engine: 4.0L DOHC 24-Valve V6
      Driveline: Five-Speed Automatic, Four-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 270 @ 5,600
      Torque @ RPM: 278 @ 4,400
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 16/19/17
      Curb Weight: N/A
      Location of Manufacture: Tahara, Aichi, Japan
      Base Price: $44,285
      As Tested Price: $48,877 (Includes $1,120.00 Destination Charge and $730.00 Keep It Wild discount)
      Options:
      Kinentic Dynamic Suspension Suspension System (KDSS) - $1,750.00
      TRD Pro Exhaust - $799.00
      Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof - $730.00
      Running Boards - $345.00
      Cargo Floor Mats & Cargo Mat - $269.00
      Door Edge Guard - $79.00
      Model: Land Cruiser
      Trim: Heritage Edition
      Engine: 5.7L DOHC 32-Valve VVT-i V8
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, Four-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 381 @ 5,600
      Torque @ RPM: 401 @ 3,600
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 13/17/14
      Curb Weight: 5,715 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Toyota, Aichi, Japan
      Base Price: $87,645
      As Tested Price: $89,239 (Includes $1,295.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Glass Breakage Sensor - $299.00
  • Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook