Chevrolet News:2015 Chevrolet, GMC Trucks and SUVs Equipped With 6.2L V8 Get An Eight-Speed

General Motors announced today that certain 2015 Chevrolet and GMC trucks and SUVs will trade in their six-speed automatic for an eight-speed automatic. Those models include,

• Chevrolet Silverado
  • GMC Sierra
  • GMC Yukon Denali/Yukon XL Denali

The catch is that all of these models must have the 6.2L V8 to get the eight-speed.

Automobile Magazine reports that the Cadillac Escalade is also line to get the eight-speed transmission in the near future.

GM says the new eight-speed is about the same weight as the outgoing six-speed, and features a wider gear spread which allows for more torque to be available in first gear.

Other details such as fuel economy numbers and technical bits will released closer to the production date in the fourth quarter.

Source: Automobile Magazine, GM

Press Release is on Page 2

2015 Chevrolet and GMC Pickups, SUVs to Offer Eight-Speed Transmission

DETROIT – Chevrolet and GMC have confirmed a new eight-speed automatic transmission will be standard on 2015 Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra and GMC Yukon Denali/Yukon XL Denali models equipped with the 6.2L EcoTec3 V-8.

The GM-developed Hydra-Matic 8L90 eight-speed is approximately the same size and weight as the Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic. Its 7.0 overall gear ratio spread is wider than GM’s six-speed automatic transmissions, providing a numerically higher first gear ratio to help drivers start off more confidently with a heavy load or when trailering. The 8L90 also enables numerically lower rear axle ratios, which reduce engine rpm on the highway.

With 420 horsepower and 460 lb.-ft. of torque, the 6.2L EcoTec3 V-8 is the most powerful engine offered in any light-duty pickup, and offers a maximum available trailer rating of 12,000 pounds, based on SAE J2807 Recommended Practices. As with other EcoTec3 engines, it seamlessly switches to four-cylinder operation under lighter loads to improve fuel economy.

Additional technical details and the EPA estimated fuel economy will be announced closer to the start of production in the fourth quarter of 2014.

View full article

This is EXCITEMENT! It also tells me to hold off as I will see a decent change in MPG with the 8 spd Transmission in the SUV's and trucks. Sooner rather than later would be good as would the Diesel motor for the product line of trucks and SUV's

What is with this slow roll-out with transmissions?  I understand they want it to be right, no warranty issues, etc., but they seemingly do this every time they bring out a new trans in the trucks.  This should be out ASAP in everything from Colorado to HD3500.

What is with this slow roll-out with transmissions?  I understand they want it to be right, no warranty issues, etc., but they seemingly do this every time they bring out a new trans in the trucks.  This should be out ASAP in everything from Colorado to HD3500.

I'm wondering the same thing ocn.

That is good news, but why put it in a pick up and leave Cadillac with a 6-speed on most cars?  I assume this is the Aisin unit and not GM's own?

No. It's GM's Hydra-Matic 8L90 transmission.