Aston Martin News:Aston Martin's U.S. Dealers Could Be In Trouble Due To Models Not Having Exemptions

Aston Martin could lose a big market in the U.S. if federal regulators don’t exempt the brand from an upcoming safety rule.

The rule in question deals with new side-impact crash regulations that require vehicles to better withstand the impact from running into a pole or tree. This rule has been phased in over the past few years, but low-volume manufacturers like Aston Martin have been given an exemption runs out this month. Convertibles built by low-volume manufacturers don't lose their exemption till next September.

According to Reuters, Aston Martin reached out to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in March asking for exemptions up until 2017 for the DB9 and Vantage. These happen to be the oldest models in Aston Martin's lineup. Aston Martin explained that with money tight during the recent recession, they weren't able to redesign the DB9 and Vantage to meet the upcoming standards. The lack of the exemption would cause "substantial economic hardship" to Aston Martin, including the possible closure of dealers in the U.S.

A spokesperson for NHTSA told Reuters that a decision hasn't been made at this time.

"The agency has been in contact with Aston Martin regarding their exemption request and is awaiting additional information from their dealers," the spokesperson said.

Source: Reuters

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

The fewer brands sold in the US the better. Aston won't really be missed.

Disagree. I would say Aston is more memorable then... Volvo, Mitsubishi, Lexus, Lincoln... I Could go on.

This is a total Hitting the Nail on the Head Statement. Aston should stay, these others could go on to be foot notes in Auto History books.

• Agree 1

The fewer brands sold in the US the better. Aston won't really be missed.

Disagree. I would say Aston is more memorable then... Volvo, Mitsubishi, Lexus, Lincoln... I Could go on.

This is a total Hitting the Nail on the Head Statement. Aston should stay, these others could go on to be foot notes in Auto History books.

Glad we agree.  The less boring compliant cars the better.  I am tired of the automotive industry being in a design funk.   Lincoln can pretty much pound sand  IMHO.