• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Toyota News: Next-Generation Toyota Tacoma Coming to Detroit

It has been quiet at Nissan and Toyota since General Motors introduced the new Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. But that appears to changing very soon at Toyota. Automotive News has learned that the company is planning to show off the next-generation Tacoma at the Detroit Auto Show next month. Bill Fay, Toyota's general manager says with the recent introduction of GM's new midsize trucks, it will spur interest and demand in the class.

“With the new entries coming in, the market should expand,” said Fay.

Despite being one of the oldest models in the class, the Tacoma is still a strong seller. Through November, the company moved 140,747 Tacomas, more than 66 percent of the total midsize truck marketplace.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article

This is good news - competition is always good. I like how fast Toyota is reacting. Let us see how GM raises the ante.

One thing GM does not have compared to Toyota is manual transmission for the 4-cylinder and V6 with 4x4.

• Let us assume that the current generation Tacomas on sale are representative to that of the brand new Tacomas sold over the time period.
  • As of this moment, around the country approx. 12,400 current body style Tacomas are for sale; approx. 1,620 are manual transmissions.
  • Of that 9,000 are V6, 850 are V6 with manual.
  • 6,025 are V6 4x4 and of that 627 with manual transmissions.
  • There are only 935 4x4 in 4-cylinders, out of which 444 are MANUAL.
  • That is not a bad take rate, contrary to what GM claims only 2% will buy the WT manual. That is because dear GM, no one wants to buy the crap base be it Automatic or Manual. Manual transmission owners want gizmos also. Typical BS manufacturers throw for not producing manual transmission vehicles.
  • Also note from 2004 to 2009 top of the line 2WD V6 Tacomas did not have manual transmissions. That may skew the overall V6 numbers towards automatic. At any rate, ~13% manual take rate is nothing to sneeze about especially GM's analysis shows 2%, which I think is BS.
  • Upvote 2

Looks like it's going to be a truck heavy show this year.  I think Frontier may be coming too?

I know Titan is coming to Detroit. Frontier if I remember from a report I wrote beck earlier this year is still a few years out.

Looks like it's going to be a truck heavy show this year.  I think Frontier may be coming too?

I know Titan is coming to Detroit. Frontier if I remember from a report I wrote beck earlier this year is still a few years out.

That's it, got them mixed up

Yeah, a six speed manual transmission across the model line would do even more to entice me.

But does the sales numbers really support the cost of R&D to put a manual into the auto's? Seems more and more people are wanting the stronger Auto than the manual.

I fear that us manual drivers are a dying breed.

There is no R&D to spend that isn't already spent. They already make the transmission and already build some trucks that way.

But does the sales numbers really support the cost of R&D to put a manual into the auto's? Seems more and more people are wanting the stronger Auto than the manual.

I fear that us manual drivers are a dying breed.

As Drew stated, it has already been done. And the problem is equivalent to the chicken and egg. For this one the egg came first. GM is killing the manual transmission breed not the other way around.

This is good news - competition is always good. I like how fast Toyota is reacting. Let us see how GM raises the ante.

One thing GM does not have compared to Toyota is manual transmission for the 4-cylinder and V6 with 4x4.

• Let us assume that the current generation Tacomas on sale are representative to that of the brand new Tacomas sold over the time period.
  • As of this moment, around the country approx. 12,400 current body style Tacomas are for sale; approx. 1,620 are manual transmissions.
  • Of that 9,000 are V6, 850 are V6 with manual.
  • 6,025 are V6 4x4 and of that 627 with manual transmissions.
  • There are only 935 4x4 in 4-cylinders, out of which 444 are MANUAL.
  • That is not a bad take rate, contrary to what GM claims only 2% will buy the WT manual. That is because dear GM, no one wants to buy the crap base be it Automatic or Manual. Manual transmission owners want gizmos also. Typical BS manufacturers throw for not producing manual transmission vehicles.
  • Also note from 2004 to 2009 top of the line 2WD V6 Tacomas did not have manual transmissions. That may skew the overall V6 numbers towards automatic. At any rate, ~13% manual take rate is nothing to sneeze about especially GM's analysis shows 2%, which I think is BS.

For real. When you only offer the manual transmission on base models with no options, it shouldn't be any surprise it doesn't sell. If the US market had the options of the European market, I bet the take rate for manual transmissions would increase greatly. 

For real. When you only offer the manual transmission on base models with no options, it shouldn't be any surprise it doesn't sell. If the US market had the options of the European market, I bet the take rate for manual transmissions would increase greatly. 

Not only that, but also in US the manufacturers encourage dealers to move the metal on the lot rather than encouraging to build and wait. And dealers want to make quick bucks so no one ends up having a manual on the lot. They encourage customers to buy automatics by claiming them to better than manual transmissions.

Sure automatics are faster NOW. Mainly because they have more gears (the fact why manual transmissions were faster before when there were 3 or 4 speed autos). When manuals are now stuck in 6 gears while automatics are adding 9 or 10, that is not a surprising fact, is it? Launch control is offered and mostly pushed in automatics by the Germans.

Second, fuel economy. Because automatic transmissions can cheat the flawed EPA testing methodology by quickly shifting to higher gears, unlike manual transmissions, which have to be rowed to keep in the range EPA suggests in the test. I drove the 335i with the 8 speed Auto and 6 speed manual. During the 25 miles of driving each, I came ahead in the fuel economy by tactically changing gears to the optimum limit.

Third, the automobile manufacturers simply do not want to put efforts in the manual transmissions vehicles. Look at M5. The very BMW that bitches US customers do not like manual transmission for non-M models bitches that it has to develop M5 with manual transmissions for US customers; non US customers love their SMGs. And it ends up just putting manual transmission to appease US customers to make them leave it in disgust and get the SMG. Good tactical move by offering Car and Driver crappy manual to give it a hate recommendation.

As we have seen in the Audi, Toyota recall fiascoes it is easy to blame the consumers. The same goes for manual transmissions.

Well, automatics aren't just faster 0-60, automatics can now shift gears faster than any human rowing his own.  DCTs are even faster still.   If you're just doing a 0-60 run, an automatic will also shift smarter than a human... getting the shift points right each and every time now that they are computer controlled. 

I can't imagine much sound reasoning to consider a Tacoma, what with the 45-50 million recalls over the last decade for toyota, and the dismal rot issues / buyback 'n crush program for the Tacoma specifically. Foolhardy, IMO.

a tenant of mine had the frame replaced on his... the truck was never right after (though I'd argue that it wasn't right before the procedure either). He traded it in on a real truck... a 2013 Silverado.

I can't recall if silver ado has MT but in theory if Colorado had wider MT application then perhaps they could scrap MT on that.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      There have been some rumors floating around for the past couple of years that BMW was planning to offer a 3-Series with a fully electric powertrain. Some new spy shots reveal that may come to fruition.
      At first glance, this looks like a normal 3-Series sedan. But on the front doors, there is a label that reads "Electric Test Vehicle". BMW has also tried to disguise the fact this is an electric by attaching tailpipes, but the spy photographer says its a pure EV.
      Not much is known about the electric powertrain or batteries. This mule was seen testing with a Tesla Model 3, suggesting that BMW sees it a direct competitor to the 3-Series EV. To do that, the model would need a range of over 200 miles. But sources at BMW tell Motor Trend that the range could be as close to 300 miles.
      We do know the next 3-Series will transition the CLAR platform that uses a combination of steel, aluminum, and carbon fiber. It also looks like that the design will not change that much from the current model.
      The next 3-Series is expected to debut at the Paris Motor Show in October. Whether we see the EV version is unclear.
      Source: Motor Trend

View full article
    • By William Maley
      There have been some rumors floating around for the past couple of years that BMW was planning to offer a 3-Series with a fully electric powertrain. Some new spy shots reveal that may come to fruition.
      At first glance, this looks like a normal 3-Series sedan. But on the front doors, there is a label that reads "Electric Test Vehicle". BMW has also tried to disguise the fact this is an electric by attaching tailpipes, but the spy photographer says its a pure EV.
      Not much is known about the electric powertrain or batteries. This mule was seen testing with a Tesla Model 3, suggesting that BMW sees it a direct competitor to the 3-Series EV. To do that, the model would need a range of over 200 miles. But sources at BMW tell Motor Trend that the range could be as close to 300 miles.
      We do know the next 3-Series will transition the CLAR platform that uses a combination of steel, aluminum, and carbon fiber. It also looks like that the design will not change that much from the current model.
      The next 3-Series is expected to debut at the Paris Motor Show in October. Whether we see the EV version is unclear.
      Source: Motor Trend
    • By William Maley
      Toyota is planning a big push with hydrogen fuel cell vehicles. According to Reuters, the Japanese automaker is doubling-down on investments for fuel cell vehicles by making improvements to reduce costs and building different models including commercial trucks.
      “We’re going to shift from limited production to mass production, reduce the amount of expensive materials like platinum used in FCV components, and make the system more compact and powerful,” said Yoshikazu Tanaka, chief engineer of the Mirai.
      Currently, Toyota hand builds the Mirai at a plant in Toyota City. Everyday, about 6.5 cars roll out of the plant. This is due to the detailed inspections that partially assembled models go through. The parts comprising the Mirai are quite expensive as well. According to analysis done by Strategic Analysis Inc., it costs Toyota about $11,000 to produce each of the fuel cell stacks. Blame the use of the platinum, titanium, and carbon fiber for the stacks.
      Toyota has been building up production capacity as it expects sales of FCVs to increase from about 3,000 to over 20,000 after 2020. This will help reduce the cost of each fuel cell stack to $8,000.
      “It will be difficult for Toyota to lower FCV production costs if it only produces the Mirai,” said a source,
      That's where an expansion of FCVs come in. Toyota is planning a "phased introduction' of other FCVs, including SUVs and commercial trucks starting around 2025. Toyota declined to talk about future products, but did reveal that it has built prototypes of small delivery vehicles and transport trucks with fuel cell powertrains.
      “We’re going to use as many parts from existing passenger cars and other models as possible in fuel cell trucks. Otherwise, we won’t see the benefits of mass production,” said Ikuo Ota, manager of new business planning for fuel cell projects at Toyota.
      Why is Toyota doubling down on fuel cells? Sources say that Toyota believes demand will increase as more countries, including China "warm to fuel cell technology". The company also sees FCVs as a hedge against battery materials such as cobalt becoming scarce.
      But there is still one issue that Toyota, and other automakers build FCVs still need to solve; infrastructure. There aren't many hydrogen refueling stations around. For example, the majority of hydrogen stations in the U.S. are in California. Not helping is a current shortage of hydrogen at refueling stations in California. Green Car Reports says this issue is due to various problems with supplier Air Products. The company said that it hopes to restore hydrogen supplies sometime in early August.
      Source: Reuters, Green Car Reports

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Toyota is planning a big push with hydrogen fuel cell vehicles. According to Reuters, the Japanese automaker is doubling-down on investments for fuel cell vehicles by making improvements to reduce costs and building different models including commercial trucks.
      “We’re going to shift from limited production to mass production, reduce the amount of expensive materials like platinum used in FCV components, and make the system more compact and powerful,” said Yoshikazu Tanaka, chief engineer of the Mirai.
      Currently, Toyota hand builds the Mirai at a plant in Toyota City. Everyday, about 6.5 cars roll out of the plant. This is due to the detailed inspections that partially assembled models go through. The parts comprising the Mirai are quite expensive as well. According to analysis done by Strategic Analysis Inc., it costs Toyota about $11,000 to produce each of the fuel cell stacks. Blame the use of the platinum, titanium, and carbon fiber for the stacks.
      Toyota has been building up production capacity as it expects sales of FCVs to increase from about 3,000 to over 20,000 after 2020. This will help reduce the cost of each fuel cell stack to $8,000.
      “It will be difficult for Toyota to lower FCV production costs if it only produces the Mirai,” said a source,
      That's where an expansion of FCVs come in. Toyota is planning a "phased introduction' of other FCVs, including SUVs and commercial trucks starting around 2025. Toyota declined to talk about future products, but did reveal that it has built prototypes of small delivery vehicles and transport trucks with fuel cell powertrains.
      “We’re going to use as many parts from existing passenger cars and other models as possible in fuel cell trucks. Otherwise, we won’t see the benefits of mass production,” said Ikuo Ota, manager of new business planning for fuel cell projects at Toyota.
      Why is Toyota doubling down on fuel cells? Sources say that Toyota believes demand will increase as more countries, including China "warm to fuel cell technology". The company also sees FCVs as a hedge against battery materials such as cobalt becoming scarce.
      But there is still one issue that Toyota, and other automakers build FCVs still need to solve; infrastructure. There aren't many hydrogen refueling stations around. For example, the majority of hydrogen stations in the U.S. are in California. Not helping is a current shortage of hydrogen at refueling stations in California. Green Car Reports says this issue is due to various problems with supplier Air Products. The company said that it hopes to restore hydrogen supplies sometime in early August.
      Source: Reuters, Green Car Reports
    • By William Maley
      I need to get something out of the way before diving into the review of the 2018 Toyota C-HR. Originally the C-HR was to join Scion’s lineup, but the C-HR would become a Toyota as the Scion brand would shut its doors in late 2016. With this change of brands, does this leave the C-HR with an identity crisis?
      The C-HR is short for ‘Coupe High Roof’ and the design makes that very clear. Proportions are very similar to a coupe with a long front and stubby back. Other coupe details to be aware of are a set of wider fenders, a sloping roofline, and a rear spoiler. It makes for a very polarizing design that many will agree catches your eye for better or worse
      Toyota’s designers must have been infatuated with diamonds as you’ll notice this shape throughout the C-HR. Key examples include the pattern on the cloth seats and arrangement of buttons on the steering wheel. The center stack is slightly angled towards the driver to emphasize a sporty nature. Material quality is about average with a mix of soft-touch plastics on the dash, and hard plastics for the door panels and center console. The C-HR’s ergonomics are excellent as controls are laid out logically and easy to use.
      I found the front seats are lacking in lower-body support. I’m 5’9” and after driving the C-HR for an hour, I found my thighs and legs started to ache. This comes down to a short bottom cushion. Shorter drivers will likely not run into this issue. ‘Claustrophobic’ is the word to describe the C-HR’s back seat as the small rear windows make it feel small. Not helping is the limited amount of legroom as I found my knees touching the backside of the front seat. CH-R’s cargo space is in the middle of the class when the rear seats are up at 19 cubic feet. To give some perspective, the Mazda CX-3 is the smallest at 12.4 cubic feet, while the Honda HR-V has the largest at 24.3. Fold the rear seats and the C-HR is at the bottom of the class with 36.4 cubic feet. The Mazda CX-3 has 9.1 cubic feet more space when its rear seats are folded.
      All C-HRs come equipped with a 7-inch touchscreen radio with the basics; AM/FM, Bluetooth, and inputs for USB and aux cords. While I found the system to be intuitive to use with a simple menu structure and decent performance, I did find myself wishing Toyota had included Apple CarPlay and Android Auto or the option of a larger system with navigation.
      Powering the C-HR is a 2.0L four-cylinder with 144 horsepower and 139 pound-feet of torque. This is paired with a CVT and front-wheel drive. All-wheel drive is nowhere to be found despite the C-HR offering it in markets outside the U.S. Driving in town, the C-HR feels lively thanks to a responsive throttle. But above these speeds, the C-HR reveals a major weakness; put your foot down and the engine takes its sweet time to get up to speed - taking over 11 seconds to hit 60 mph. This makes certain tasks such as passing a slower vehicle treacherous. Under hard acceleration, the CVT is quite loud. Toyota does offer other engines for the C-HR elsewhere, including a hybrid. Reading through various test drives, the hybrid is slightly quicker; recording a 0-60 time of 11 seconds.
      Fuel economy figures for the 2018 C-HR are 27 City/31 Highway/29 Combined. My average for the week landed at 28.1 mpg.
      Like most new and redesigned Toyota models, the C-HR rides on the modular TGNA platform. I have praised this platform on both the Prius and Prius Prime as it makes them feel playful on a winding road. This extends to the C-HR. Despite a higher ride height, body motions are kept in check when cornering. Steering feels precise and has ample weight when turning. Ride quality is on the firm side, but it will not beat up passengers. A fair amount of tire and wind noise comes inside when driving on the expressway.
      The Toyota C-HR is quite expensive for a subcompact crossovers. The base XLE begins at $22,500. My XLE Premium tester begins at $24,350 and with some added accessories, the final price was $25,633. That’s without leather seats, navigation, or a sunroof. Toyota is quick to point out that the C-HR does come equipped with a number of active safety features such as adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist as standard. That only helps the base XLE when it comes to arguing value. The XLE Premium has a tougher time since you can get into a well equipped Hyundai Kona Limited FWD with a sunroof, leather seats, a 7-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration; and 18-inch alloy wheels for only $53 more. You do miss out on the active safety features since as you can only get those on the top-line Ultimate, but the Kona presents a better value than the C-HR when you compare features bit by bit.
      The Toyota C-HR left me very frustrated as the week came to a close. The crossover has some charm with sharp driving dynamics and a very willing chassis. But it is clear that the C-HR feels more like a Scion than a Toyota as it was built to be cost-effective as it doesn’t offer any options. What you see is what you get. The problem is that competitors offer more equipment for similar money. The C-HR also trails competitors in terms of cargo capacity and performance. I do believe there is a crossover that can stand out from the growing field of subcompact models, but Toyota needs to think of the C-HR as one of their own models, not as a Scion.
      Disclaimer: Toyota Provided the C-HR, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2018
      Make: Toyota
      Model: C-HR
      Trim: XLE Premium
      Engine: 2.0L DOHC, 16-Valve Four-Cylinder with Valvematic
      Driveline: CVT, Front-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 144 @ 6,100
      Torque @ RPM: 139 @ 3,900
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 27/31/29
      Curb Weight: 3,300 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Arifiye, Sakarya, Turkey
      Base Price: $24,350
      As Tested Price: $25,633 (Includes $960.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Carpeted Floormats and Cargo Mat - $194.00
      Mudguards - $129.00

View full article
  • My Clubs