Tesla Model S Struck By Lightning While Charging

FAPTurbo

Tesla's Model S may have taken the world by storm, but one Atlanta woman's vehicle was taken out by a storm. 

Sarah Day was charging her Model S at a Supercharger near Columbus, Georgia, when a lightning bolt struck nearby. Once Day realized her dash camera stopped working, Day realized something went wrong. She explained what happened next in an interview with Teslarati:

“I heard the crash, and just a second or two after about 9 errors popped up on the dashboard. Some of them were low charge warnings, saying it would disable some functions. Others were on how the car needs to be serviced. I was also getting that the car can’t be charged, and that the 12 volt battery is low.

“After the storm died down I got out of the car. The charging port wasn’t lit up, and when I tried to remove the cable it wouldn’t come out. I still had most of the functions in the car, including the touchscreen. The other car that was charging just a couple stalls down from me was completely fine and drove away, though I didn’t get to talk to that owner afterwards.”

Though Tesla sent a tow-truck, the Model S was unable to be disconnected from the charging station. The sunroof was also stuck halfway. Thus Day's vehicle had to be left at the station, until a technician could service the vehicle onsite. 

Sarah's day wasn't entirely rained out. She raved about Tesla's "amazing," "responsive" customer service, who first offered to pay for a rental vehicle to return home. Opting to remain in the same city as her vehicle, Day was then asked if she'd like to be put up in a hotel, with expenses and transportation paid for. 

Tesla's service centre has sent a technician to safely disconnect the vehicle's power cable and bring it in. Tesla told Day that each Supercharger "has multiple relays and sensors to protect the cars from surges," and the vehicle may have sensed the voltage spike and disconnected everything as a precaution. 

Could it be Edison's vengeful ghost? Is this Ben Franklin's endorsement? Heaven only knows. 

What we do know is that Tesla is hoping that its upcoming Model X crossover will as successful as the Model S. Perhaps lightning will strike twice?

We'll have more once the story develops.

Source: Teslarati

Did it not charge the car? I mean really Tesla, get with the program here!

That's some customer service though. If it were a another automaker's product she'd have likely gotten this message:

"Well m`am, you don't technically own the vehicle, and since we do we've elected to inform you that you're $h! out of luck and that you should have known better than to try and charge your car's battery with lightning. Have a nice day!"