Wrap It or Spray It?

audi-stickerbomb.jpg?w=648&h=434

There comes a time when every paint job has reached the end of its natural life. Assuming you care about these kinds of things, what do you do? Wrap it or paint it? When it comes down to it your costs will be about even so it’s really a question of preference. If you’re looking a truly unique pattern or finish (like the sticker bomb wrap above) then wrapping s the way to go but nothing beats paint for durability. So, lay or spray? Weigh in here and we’ll let you know the results next week.

Question #1:

Does wrapping your car protect the paint from deteriorating?

Question #2

Does the wrap protect the metal from oxidizing?

Question #3

Does moisture end up building up and collecting underneath the wrap between the wrap and the paint to rust the car that much faster?

I think, on average, most companies charge $3000 for the job. That price is the cost of material plus labor. My company only sells the vinyl so if you're asking about the cost of that alone I'd say it's closer to $500. 

Edited by Rvinyl.com

Question #1:

Question #2

Question #3

Does moisture end up building up and collecting underneath the wrap between the wrap and the paint to rust the car that much faster?

Yes, a good wrap should protect the car's paint from UV and oxidation. If done correctly, no moisture should remain between the film and the paint. The clear coat on the paint should make rusting a non-issue.

Question #1:

Question #2

Question #3

Yes, a good wrap should protect the car's paint from UV and oxidation. If done correctly, no moisture should remain between the film and the paint. The clear coat on the paint should make rusting a non-issue. But as per the question in the survey...Id do nothing.  Why? Well, I live in a land of the ice and snow. By the time the paint needs a little love,  that means underneath the paint, the rust gods have already started their magic on the metal.

Thanx for the info.

It is an interesting idea that I might look into.

But as per the question in the survey...Id do nothing.  Why? Well, I live in a land of the ice and snow. By the time the paint needs a little love,  that means underneath the paint, the rust gods have already started their magic on the metal. It is too late to do anything about that. Unless of course a complete stripping of the paint is made and then we take care of the problem areas on the metal...because to just wrap it or spray paint over the problem areas..we are just masking the problem and not really taking care of it.

Id do the wrap thing on a brand new car....when all is nice and new and rust free 100%.

Edited by oldshurst442

I love the idea of a wrap but with it very close in cost to a paint job.. I'd still wrap it and save the little difference. I like the idea that it protects the factory paint as well. so to go back to factory is possible whereas with paint..no.

How long do the wraps last before there is peeling or fading or anything that's negative?

• Agree 1

I love the idea of a wrap but with it very close in cost to a paint job.. I'd still wrap it and save the little difference. I like the idea that it protects the factory paint as well. so to go back to factory is possible whereas with paint..no.

How long do the wraps last before there is peeling or fading or anything that's negative?

It depends on the quality and type of film but most films have an upper end life of 5 years. The only other con I can think of is that they are more easily damaged than paint (but only if you don't use PPF on it).

It depends on the quality and type of film but most films have an upper end life of 5 years. The only other con I can think of is that they are more easily damaged than paint (but only if you don't use PPF on it).

Plus you can simply replace a "piece" right? like if I got chips on the hood or front bumper.. just replace them..?

• Agree 1

That title..... this isn't the X-Rated forum!

Man Drew, I didn't even realize!!! 

LOL ... you didn't?  My mind went X-rated the second I read the title.

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Keep this feelin' alive" __ Eric Carmen __ 'Make Me Lose Control'
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

LOL!  I better not type what I was thinking.

"Feelings are intense" __ Depeche Mode __ 'Enjoy The Silence'

Apparently not...someone gave you a -1 on that post....like WTF???!!!

At least you got a +1 for this post...

Wrap or Lay is the question........ I mean Spray! :P

Guess I would Spray, never been one to wrap it, but I like the depth that you can get with paint that wraps cannot do. Plus wraps are just to commercial even though I understand it can be very custom, but for me give me some serious depth on a good paint job covered in Clear Coat and I am there. :)

LOL ... they did?  Heh ... interesting!

"Just when I think that I can make it without you, you come around & say you want me now" __ Rosanne Cash __ 'I Don't Know Why You Don't Want Me'

LOL ... they did?  Heh ... interesting!

"Just when I think that I can make it without you, you come around & say you want me now" __ Rosanne Cash __ 'I Don't Know Why You Don't Want Me'

Well, someone did...

That  post overcame adversity  :explode: and it is now in the positive... :thumbsup:

Well, someone did...

That  post overcame adversity  :explode: and it is now in the positive... :thumbsup:

LOL!  Something I'm always doing anyway...... ;)

"How do we explain something that took us by surprise?" __ Richard Marx __ 'Hold Onto The Nights'