Beautiful Cars Appreciation Thread

oldshurst442

Just now, riviera74 said:

Compare that 1977 GP to the 1978-87 models: which one is better?

Good point.  They "touch my soul" in different ways.

'76 and '77 - good; they came down in displacement from the entry-level 400 c.i. V8 in the preceding year

'78 and '79 - hindsight is 20/20, so the refresh coming after them was better;  these two years took some getting used to

'81 through '87 - very good to excellent, except for CCC teething problems

- '81 and '82 had the small Pontiac 4.3 V8

- 85 onward started out with the Chevy TBI Vortec V6 to replace the standard carbureted 3.8 V6

- - - - -

For everyday driving, I'll say '81, '82,  and '85 to '87 - they retained the manners of the much larger car, but were easier to work with

On 3/25/2023 at 12:15 PM, oldshurst442 said:

Tran-Zam.com

1976 Pontiac Trans Am - why it Ruled in 1976 - Old Car Memories

Thank you!  This year of Firebird over the equivalent year of Camaro.  Easy.  This was the top of the heap for the Firebird, whether base, Esprit, Formula, or Trans Am.  With their revised front fascias, '77 and '78 were cringeworthy. 

- - - - -

Here we go.  One periodically sees what celebs are up to on one's homepage, so I Googled "Deborah Harry today," and of all the images that came up, this one was the klassiest.  She's better behaved in the other photos.

Debbie-Harry.jpg&ehk=7%2BYqNTdMz5JkvWicz

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Of the late 70s Firebirds, my favorite front is the '77-78, but my favorite rear is the '79-81 with the full width taillight trim...

79rear.jpg

1977firebird.jpg

It's the angle of the front inch that I don't like.  Like on the very last GP, it's too much.  It's not so much a "go big or go home" approach that Pontiac would sometimes push as it is a matter of good taste, but that's just my opinion.  In styling cars, fractions make big differences in how the styling turns out.

I'm okay with the full width rear taillamps.  They're clean.

I probably would have opted for a '75 or '76 Esprit with some nice Rally or honeycomb wheels, full instrumentation, and some other tame trim options.  With the F-bird, I always felt "less is more." 

(sidebar:  the phone number for that car is in Tom Leykis's "beloved" "the 909")

On 4/8/2023 at 7:18 AM, Robert Hall said:

Of the Firebirds a few years earlier, I like the '74-75, didn't like the '76.  Something about the front bumper angle..

1975_pontiac_firebird_157530580706e631975_pontiac_firebird_157487302195d565ef66e7dadacbd9c-303e-47ae-bb42-2a581fa67a21-ogXWg0.jpg.webp

1976_pontiac_firebird_16016588283dc39977creceived_538850836832278.jpeg.webp

Okay, I partially agree with you.

Not so much on '74, as it lacked the wrap-around rear back lite, which I liked for the F-bird/Camaro.

A big thumbs up to '75 ... the inset lamps on the grille looked great.

I'm okay with '76, but I see what you mean.  You didn't exactly pick out a flattering photo of one!

It was funny that this car could be had with a bullet proof 250 c.i. L6, and that it was available in base and Esprit.  Not sure if up-level Camaro LTs and Berlinettas could be had with this engine during that same time frame.  For the short while I owned a Camaro, it had the 305 c.i. V8.

My very first car that I ever fell in love with was a '76 Trans Am as a toddler.  Cragar SS wheels.  Rear tires were fat and the rear was raised as so many muscle cars were in the '70s.  The rear window had that grille louver thing.   Like the T/A down below.   Except I remember the rears being fatter than what this T/A is sporting.  Or maybe not.  Almost 50 years has passed. Maybe my toddler memory of that car has been mythologized.  

1977 Pontiac Trans Am | W184 | Indianapolis 2013

I was savvy (My son and I saw just saw Pirates of the Caribbean yesterday for the hundreth time...hence the word choice :Dto the model years so when I first saw the '79 Trans Am for the first time, I instantly fell in love with that model and replaced it as my favorite.  I did see Smokey and the Bandit sometime in 1980 or '81, and I knew that it was a '77 or '78 .  Strangely enough, I didnt like it.  I mean, yeah I liked it, but the '79 remained by favorite followed by the '76.   I later refined my taste to include the '70-'73.  

Today:

I must say, the '76 has lost some of the luster I once had for it.  The beak is not prominent enough for my liking. 

I dont like the '74 and '75 as much either for the same lack of a prominent beak plus the fact that I dont like the front bumper.   

And yeah, the '77 & '78 Trans Am is still a Trans Am that I would love to own as much as any other 2nd gen,  it is not my favorite.  

Although I love the rear of the '70-73, my favorite rear goes to the '79-81.  Second goes to the '76-78 rear.  In 3rd place goes to the '70-'73.  And lastly is to my least favorite 2nd gen Trans Ams of '74-'75. 

My favorite body STYLE is '75. 

What?  

Yeah...that is when the wrap around rear window debuted. '76 the T-Tops so in essence my favorite FAVORITE body style would BE from '76 on.    In reality, Id proudly own and drive ANY 2nd gen Trans Am as is.  If I was restomodding one though, I would keep the model year front and rear clips of the model that I would happen to own, BUT, I WOULD change the body style to the '75 or '76 one.  T-Tops of course so '76.  

As dreams go...  I dont know if I would do the awesome 17"/18"/19" retro Snowflakes or 17"/18"/19"  Cragars... 

• Like 1

@oldshurst442  Front F-bird lamps and fascia on the '79 to '81 were safe and decent looking.  At least they were really toned down and slotted into the sloped front.  Better than '77 and '78. 

Agree on '75!

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

@oldshurst442  Front F-bird lamps and fascia on the '79 to '81 were safe and decent looking.  At least they were really toned down and slotted into the sloped front.  Better than '77 and '78. 

Agree on '75!

I dont like the '77/'78 as much anymore either.

1. too much emphasis on the Smokey and the Bandit thing.  Too many folk like the Trans Am JUST because of the movie and therefore are more like poseurs. The 2nd gen Trans Am is soooooo much more than THE Smokey and the Bandit car...   But it is what it is...

2.  After being a teenager in the mid 1980s, sometimes I look at that front clip and it just reminds me of these. And I really wished it didnt, but when Pontiac decided to use the 'Smokey and the Bandit' styling on these, to me, they really really cheapened the effect of THE Smokey and the Bandit car. And hence why I view the lovers of the Smokey and the Bandit FAKE Trans Am lovers...  I really really want to distance myself from THAT.   But I cant fully do that as I actually do like a Trans Am...   

Curbside Classic: 1984 Pontiac 2000 Sunbird – We Build Excitement (But Not  Necessarily Into Everything We Produce) | Curbside Classic

IMCDb.org: 1986 Pontiac 6000 in "Blue Steel, 1989"

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

Read 1932 Ford Roadster Online

1932 Ford "Highboy" Roadster - Classic "Old School" Hot Rod | Hot rods  cars, Hot rods, Hot rod trucks

Hemi-powered '32 Ford is America's Most Beautiful Roadster 2023 - Hagerty  Media

Beautiful, would be awesome to have it as an EV where you not only have the rear jumper seat, but the engine area becomes a frunk. AWD with electric motors between the front and rear and the battery pack a slim slab between the wheels enhancing the grip and low center of gravity. 

This would be AWESOME.

image.png

image.png

Cracks me up the fake side pipes.

Electric Car Motors | DC EV Motors, Controllers & Conversion Kits (ddmotorsystems.com)

Apparently this one has a BMW M5 V10 under the hood.  Id rock it.  I wouldnt admit it...but Id rock it! 

$350,000 BMW E30 M3 Build Packs an M5 V10 With 625 HP | The DriveL'incroyable BMW M3 E30 propulsée par un V10 !La BMW E30 M3 di Renner ha il V10 della M5 e costa 340mila euro

da da da. this is a stupid song. da da da.  

And that would be how I feel I truly feel about about a BMW of this era and vintage.    da da da

Still a cool restomod though. 

BMW E30 M3 restomod given 390 bhp by UK firm

This might just be the finest E30 BMW M3 you'll ever see | Top Gear

This Epic E30 BMW M3 Is A $500,000 Work Of Art | CarBuzz

14 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Alpine F1 Team Drivers' Cars on European Grand Prix | Old News Club

2021 Alpine A110 price and specs: 215kW A110S now available to order - Drive

The Alpine A110 is now an awesome rally car | Top Gear

Alpine A110 Price & Specs | Top Gear

RENAULT ALPINE A110 - FORMIDABLE Mag - Cars

1971 Alpine A110 1600 Group 4

1973 Renault Alpine - British European Auto

Alpine A110 Wallpapers - Top Free Alpine A110 Backgrounds - WallpaperAccess

1973 Alpine A110 - Journey of a Petrol Head

How Could You Not Love This 1973 Alpine A110? | Carscoops

Looks like an attempt to copy the 007 Aston. Lines are just quirky weird to me.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

The modern Alpine is pretty faithful to the original Alpine... neat car.  I like the 80s Alpines, which at one time were supposedly coming to US Renault/AMC dealers..

images.jpeg

IMG_7819.jpg.webp

Quirky but cool looking.

• 2 months later...

@oldshurst442 My wife at our 10th wedding Anniversary bought me a Bulova watch. I have it, never wear it as I grew up working in my dad's auto shop and you never wear jewelry, watches, etc. I like the watch very much and will never part with it till I am cremated, but I doubt I will ever wear it as it just feels weird wearing it. Same with my wedding ring, after the first year, I have never worn it again.

Course still married and going strong 33 years so far.

Interesting how things have changed over time.

• Oh Yeah! 1

Maybe we DO need a watch appreciation thread.

I sometimes get visions in my head that I like to tie in with cars in this thread.  Ive done watches before.  I usually do music.  

I came across the Bulova Jetstar commercial a few weeks back and it marinated in my mind.  About the same time, I saw the Porsche 911 S/T.   Coming back to post again, I had this (great?) idea to meld them together in an apprecition post.   The Omega and yet another Bulova watch was stirring in my mind and so I got the inspiration to do a 1970s car thing since the Bulova Jetstar ad and the Porsche ad heavily influenced by that decade.   The Omega and Bulova were the actual first watches to be worn by astronauts that landed on the moon.   And since NASA astronauts were gifted or bought Corvettes...  And you see how my choices were made.

Just like really expensive cars, I appreciate really really expensive watches, but I would rather not indulge with really high end watches.  That Omega is a beaut and just about the most expensive watch I would buy.  Or any of the other watches I just posted.   The Bulova Lunar re-issue is just to darned big for my wrists.  The original is just about the biggest Id wear.   The Jetsar re-issue is about $500 US or $700 CDN.   I also love that one too.  The precisionist mouvement is a great innovation.  And the Jetsar is the right size for me as well.    The Seiko Grand would be another watch Id love to own.  But alas, Ive got 2 Bulovas myslef  @David,  Quartz mouvements,  (No...I aint a watch snob that my watches need to be wound up)     I dont need that many watches to live my life.   The less junk I own, the better...   

Original vs. Reissue: Longines Legend Diver - Crown & Caliber Blog

1970 Aston Martin DBS V8 - UK version - Free high resolution car images

Aston Martin DBS V8 - Secret Classics

SOLD - 1970 Aston Martin DBS 6 - Vantage Spec - The Classic Motor Hub

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Parmigiani Fleurier Bugatti Aerolithe Performance

Exquisite Collection Of Classic Bugatti Grand Prix Racers Returns To The  Brand's Home | Carscoops

Introducing the Parmigiani Fleurier Bugatti Type 390, inspired by the  impressive 2016 Bugatti Chiron (with live pics) - Monochrome Watches

Bugatti Chiron Sport And Pur Sport Paris Test Drive

Parmigiani Fleurier – Bugatti 390 Concept Watch

Bugatti Chiron Super Sport 'Golden Era': una pieza única con dibujos  pintados a mano - La Tercera

This one-off Bugatti Chiron Super Sport 'Golden Era' is a 273mph sketchpad  | Top Gear

Parmigiani Bugatti: A Retrospective Look - Grail Watch

In Photos: Leopold III's Bugatti goes up for auction

BUGATTI Paris, France |

One-off Bugatti Chiron Profilée sells for record $10.7M at auction

Disagree vote is just too strong with the red down arrow, but I just have never really gotten into Bugatti and especially the watches just are Blah weird to me. Guess I am just too simple for something too complex. :P