Beautiful Cars Appreciation Thread

oldshurst442

This is exactly the same mindset I have with my B-59 - take a huge, finned coupe and inject serious power into it.
'59 DeSoto Firesweep Sportsman, 440 CI Cross-Ram dual-quad. I wish it was a Fireflite (2 models higher) with more chrome, and not nuts about the color scheme, but it'll do nicely.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265439541009?mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5337851298&customid=495318&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 12.09.37 PM.png

• Agree 1

I also like that idea of a '50s finned car to have big horsepower.  

Albeit with my approach, its more of a restomod and/or pro touring with modern everything.  The exterior remains stock looking tho.  Some exterior refinements are fine by me, but more original looking than modern.    

LED headlights and taillights are good.  Maybe a bumper could be integrated in the body lines more...  But the chrome stays!   

Powertrain is all modern though.  (In some cases, if the car in question has matching numbered engines and the like, those could and will  remain, but if the car in question has no engine for example, than a GM/Mopar/FoMoCo crate engine goes in. I am not searching for a V8 from the '50s from another junked car to put in...   

But...for some cars, stock appearance might not be part of the equation.

Say  Tri-Five Chevys...

Those will have a hot rodded look!  But then again, those cars have had hot rodded appearances since the '60s, so basically...par for the course! 

Custom-Built '55 Chevy 210: Obsession of the Week - ChevroletForum

Cadillacs of the '50s and I would want to squeeze in a Blackwing 4.2 twin turbocharged V8...

A '58 Plymouth Fury and THAT car would have a Hellcat crate engine under the hood.   

This one apparently has a Hellephant residing in it.  

Just A Car Guy: 1958 Fury "Christine" tribute with a Hellephant motor I  posted about was in the Mopar booth at SEMA

But I would have fatter tires on it...

1958 Plymouth Fury with a 1000 hp Supercharged Hellephant V8 – Engine Swap  Depot

Who knew that even Ferrari would try to capture some of that 1990s-2000s Pontiac rounded,  boy racer flair?

Ferrari 812 Superfast: the new F12 rolls into Geneva | CAR Magazine

5 American Muscle Cars From The '90s You Should Avoid Like The Plague, And  12 That Are Worth Every Penny

Ferrari 812 Superfast Recalled Because Rear Window Might Fly Off

From the Archive: The last meal, and it's a good one.

2018 Ferrari 812 Superfast | S110.3 | Kissimmee 2021

The First LS1-Powered Pontiac Trans Am Was a Monster

Makes me love the 4rth gen Firebird/Trans Am even more than I did back then!  And I guess that is why I absolutely LOVE the 812 Superfast. Yeah yeah....the V12 in it is just incredible, but its the styling that I adore even more than the V12 itself!  

Ferrari 812 Superfast European sales figures

Pin on BaT Auctions

Ferrari 812 Superfast (2018) - test & specificaties - TopGear Nederland

Trans Am

Het aanpakken van een Ferrari 812 Superfast moet zó - AutoTrack

2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - The Pontiac Last Stand!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Following on from @oldshurst442, more beautiful E-body Mopies...'71 Challengers this time..love the styling of these cars.

images-5.jpeg

8-1630444588683.jpg

5840390f55445eb6992114da208fc2fb.jpg

182861.jpg

1971-Dodge-Challenger-RT-2107-48.jpg

1971_dodge_challenger_156884704563a3b3001-exterior.jpg

More Mopies...my favorite B-body muscle cars--the '71 Plymouth Road Runner and GTX...love the fuselage styling.   Something about the early 70s muscle car aesthetic has captivated me since I was a kid...love the wings and scoops, and stripes.. 

236521_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

5b74e738223d177a4030153c35f64896.jpg

1971-plymouth-gtx-super-commando-manual-is-a-rare-bird-144915_1.jpg

236521_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

MM194-BUG-03.jpg

R-Web-WebTeam-Mary-Motoring-UC-440-road-runner-plymouth-road-runner-3.jpg

1971-plymouth-road-runner_7715.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I would have never thought that the Avanti was a fast car, but sometime in the beginning of the new millennium when I first started on the interwebs, I came across a fact.  That the Avanti was THE fastest car in the world upon its introduction.   Before then, I just kinda looked at it and no emotions flowed through me.   I was very indifferent towards it.    I did know that I didnt really like the '80s version. I always felt that it should have STAYED in the 1960s. 

Studebaker Avanti: From Savior to Orphan - The New York Times

The '60s version is just so pure.  There are some '80s designs that I like the excess, plastic body cladding aero work, and others not so much.   

Rocker Alice Cooper and His 1963 Studebaker Avanti Spy Car

The Avanti's interior is pure class.   I like it a lot!

63 Avanti interior | ClassicCars.com Journal

• Agree 1

In honour of National Lampoons Christmas vacation.   The year goes by and I always forget that a baby blue Continental is quietly parked  slightly out of frame minding its own business until l I see the movie again.  I get all giddy looking at it and New Year's Day comes along and I forget the car until... the following year.  And the cycle continues...

And yeah, Im watching the movie with my wife right now as I type this.  I gotta say, its my favorite XMAS movie. 

1961 Lincoln Continental Convertible, Blue with White Soft Top. | Lincoln  continental, Lincoln cars, Classic cars trucks

1963 Lincoln Continental Convertible | Hemmings Motor News

1963 Lincoln Continental - Wheels

• Agree 3

2nd gen F-Bodies, mainly THE Trans Am, but not limited to, are my favorite of the pony cars and the first dream car to me. It happens to be the 1976 Trans Am as that was the first to catch me youngling eye, but later on refining my taste to the 1979 model and then to the 1970-1973.  

But I gots to say that a 1970 Camaro split bumper is as close to my heart as any 2nd gen Trans Am.  

That 1979 restomod is just great!  I love those updated snowflake wheels. 

There was a '76 Trans Am with Cragar SS wheels where I lived. I knew the wheels were Cragar SS because in actual fact, the word Cragar SS was on the center cap and it might very well be one of the first words Ive read in my life  :) 

Big fat wheels in the back and it was raised slightly.  The rear window had those sun shade louvers.  Beautiful machine! 

• Agree 1

Love that Cadillac.  Im not sure about that firetruck red paint job on it nor the wheel choice.  The wheel choice is fine, I guess its the gold that I dont like.   

Love the stance though. Id want that Caddy in black rather than red.  Even in matte black.  The wheels would be in black replacing the gold part. 

If it had to be red, I choose a dark candy apple red.  And Id replace the gold part on the wheels with black again.  

Some lovely trucks

image.pngimage.png

Not sure how they can justify a $285,000 price for this 1952 Thriftmaster 3100 Pickup, but wow it is nice looking.

1952 Thriftmaster 3100 Inspired by TR Gets a New School Upgrade, $285K Price Tag (newsweek.com)

image.png

Loving this Purple Pickup.

image.png

Part of this story with very cool auto's 10 Coolest Cars Metallica's James Hetfield Hides In His Garage (hotcars.com)

Loving these cars

image.png

While the look of this 1937 Ford is just nice to me, the real beauty is the Maroon paint job!

image.png

• Agree 1

On 12/21/2021 at 5:23 PM, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 5.20.58 PM.png

Always liked the GT Hawk...was a beautiful update to the Hawk.

I can only imagine the sensation the original '53 caused, it was such a clean, angular design compared to the gaudy humpy lumpys that Detroit was making then.  I generally don't get into '50s cars much, but I do like the original Studebaker pre-Hawk coupes.  

fl16_r0194_02_0.jpg

maxresdefault-9.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1