Brands that Time forgot

David

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos-luxury/10-luxury-car-brands-that-time-forgot/ss-AAfhCnL?ocid=UP94DHP

Have to say the pictures are awesome, but also a bit surprising to learn about some beautiful auto's that the industry seemed to forget about and leave behind.

Will admit that I did not know the Continental was an actual division of Ford, I always thought it was part of Lincoln.

Continental and Imperial were both stand-alone divisions at various points.

The article got the years wrong on Continental, it was stand alone '56-58 I believe (I'm in a couple Lincoln and Continental groups on FB, the anal old farts freak out if anyone refers to them as Lincoln Continentals, incl. the '58 Mark III), and  Imperial was a stand alone division from '55-75.   Supposedly the '81-83 were not badged as Chryslers, but I would assume they were registered as Chrysler Imperials.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

The '81-83 Imperial thing is an interesting question. 

I went off digging into this and all '81-83 Imperials are VIN coded (2nd character) with 'A', which signifies the make (Imperial). 5th digit (model) is 'Y', again indicating Imperial. 

Chryslers are coded with 'C' (Plymouths were 'P' and, for some reason, Dodges were 'B').

It was legally an 'Imperial Imperial' rather than a 'Chrysler Imperial'.

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 2

The '81-83 Imperial thing is an interesting question. 

I went off digging into this and all '81-83 Imperials are VIN coded (2nd character) with 'A', which signifies the make (Imperial). 5th digit (model) is 'Y', again indicating Imperial. 

Chryslers are coded with 'C' (Plymouths were 'P' and, for some reason, Dodges were 'B').

It was legally an 'Imperial Imperial' rather than a 'Chrysler Imperial'.

You're not the Yoda of Vintage cars for nothing....

• Agree 1

I have honed 'cyber digging' to a decently keen edge, I must say. ;)

In another, off-topic subject, I have overturned numerous published sources on key facts. If you're interested, you can get pretty motivated.

Just don't ask me to learn mercedes model codes (W212, etc etc)- I still haven't gotten a firm grasp on the published alphanumerics. :D

I have honed 'cyber digging' to a decently keen edge, I must say. ;)

In another, off-topic subject, I have overturned numerous published sources on key facts. If you're interested, you can get pretty motivated.

Just don't ask me to learn mercedes model codes (W212, etc etc)- I still haven't gotten a firm grasp on the published alphanumerics. :D

Like I always say. Google is your friend.

Why bother learning it?

There is no need to fill up your memory with that stuff...

Use the internet as an extension of your brain and your memory.

That is what Google is there for. 

Exactly...Google and Wikipedia are there...rather than memorizing trivia, look it up...that's why smart phones are so convenient these days...can look stuff up most anytime, anyplace..  I know a fair bit of auto trivia like vintage platform names (GM and Chrysler, A-, B-, C- bodies, etc) and a lot of BMW and M-B generational codes, because those are widely known and appear in the media all the time, and I've had some of them.