Geneva Motor Show: Maserati Levante: Comments

Maserati was hoping to keep the Levante - their first SUV - under wraps before its official debut at the Geneva Motor Show next month. But Dutch publication Autoweek published leaked images of the Levante earlier today. That caused the Italian automaker to reveal the Levante's exterior and spill some information on it.

As we have reported previously, the Levante would not be using any of the design found the on Kubang concept. Instead, the Levante looks like a Ghibli or Quattroporte hatchback or wagon. Up front is the distinctive grille that Maserati has been using on their current lineup, along with narrow headlights and sculpted hood. The back end is very reminiscent of the Porsche Cayenne.

Maserati describes the Levante's chassis as combining "the outstanding on-road performance typical of every Maserati with unrivalled handling even on very low-grip surfaces and an excellent off-road performance and ride." We're doubting most owners of the Levante are planning to go off-road.

Maserati has also revealed that the Levante will have an eight-speed automatic and Q4 all-wheel-drive system.

We'll have more details on the Levante next month.

Source: Maserati, Autoweek.nl

Press Release is on Page 2

Maserati Levante

• Maserati's first SUV receives its eagerly-awaited world unveiling at the upcoming Geneva International Motor Show

Maserati reveals the exterior form of the Levante, the first SUV in the brand's more than one hundred year history: the new model completes the existing range of saloon and sports cars, extending the offering together with the Quattroporte, Ghibli, GranTurismo and GranCabrio models.
The design of the Levante features clear associations with the Maserati brand and its distinctive Italian character: the aggressive front introduces new, tapered headlights separated into two elements, with the upper headlight unit connected to the radiator grille. Maserati's design signature is clearly visible on the sides: the three iconic air vents on the front wings, the trapezoidal C-pillar with the “Saetta” logo and the large, frameless door windows. The rear is dominated by the very tapered back window and streamlined shape, both typical of a high-performance sports car.
At a technical level, the Levante's chassis is designed to combine the outstanding on-road performance typical of every Maserati with unrivalled handling even on very low-grip surfaces and an excellent off-road performance and ride. The new SUV boasts a high level of content as standard, with all versions featuring: sophisticated electronic suspension with controlled damping and air springs, which can be set on several levels, “Q4” intelligent all-wheel drive and 8-speed automatic transmission specially calibrated for the brand's new SUV.
When it comes to power units, the Levante is equipped with both petrol and diesel engines that are all Euro6-compliant.
The Maserati Levante is built at the Mirafiori plant in Turin; the first cars have already come off the assembly line with the launch planned for this spring in Europe, to be followed by the rest of the world later this year.

View full article

I can't believe Infiniti ripped off the Porsche Cayenne body shape so bad.  Oh wait, this is a Maserati?

On a side note, I sat in both a Ghibli and Quatroporte last week, and they were I think $90k and $118K sticker price respectively.  Neither were very impressive.  I mean they were nicer than an ATS or 3-series, but probably any sedan at $55-60k has a better interior than those 2.   And at $118k in the Quatroporte you got a 400 hp V6.  What a rip off.  No wonder it doesn't sell.

I also see this is clearly a rebadge of the Alfa.

Nothing new here at all.

I hate when people confuse 'rebadge' with 'platform sharing'.   This may share a platform with the new Alfa SUV, but it's not a rebadge--probably not a single exterior panel in common.   

• Agree 1

Nothing new here at all.

I hate when people confuse 'rebadge' with 'platform sharing'.   This may share a platform with the new Alfa SUV, but it's not a rebadge--probably not a single exterior panel in common.   

Call it what you want but after seeing the pictures of the Alfa, when I saw this, I saw the alfa first with a different nose clip. Yes some subtle changes, but you can see they are on the same platform, not that much difference than you are stating. 

Nothing new here at all.

So you have seen the new Alfa Romeo SUV in person before anyone else?

I'm highly doubting that.

Nope just the pictures you guys posted but after seeing the Alfa first, then seeing this, I see the alfa with some small tweeks to the body and the front clip changed out. For a label like Maserati it should have been better I think.