What Would You Buy Instead: Porsche 911 R Edition

One of only a few tests I've seen with test results on the new 911 R-

C&D 911 R Test

Of course, this car is the anti-numbers sports car. Some may like that, others may not. Base price is $185,950, as-tested was $198,695. Now, this car is sold out already, and most brought far more than that, but were going to work with a range based off these numbers. Rules...

1) You choice must be a NEW, on-sale-now MY 2016 or 2017 sports/super car.

2) This is obviously a toy car. Assume your daily needs are already met.

3) Your car of choice MUST have an MSRP of at least $180,000 and NO MORE THAN $230,000.

rp-911rfd-2.jpg?itok=2dNMbd2f

Edited by Frisky Dingo

I absolutely love WHAT the car is. It's got that old school straight up driver's car vibe to it that all of the electronics get rid of these days.

"The R delivers what computers can’t yet replicate—the human experience. The 911 R creates bliss through the challenge and reward that come from executing a complex task with easy grace. It’s the gratification of knowing a machine so intimately that every downshift becomes an unthinking, seamlessly rev-matched flurry of footwork and snorts from the flat-six engine. (An automatic rev-matching function is standard and can be turned off.) "

That is why I will take a 911 R in this price range. For about 200k it is probably the ONLY manual transmission car left out there and there are only 500 made.

1 hour ago, ykX said:

This looks like a great car, but I never have been a 911 fan,

So DB11 for me

full-on.jpg

:drool: I would hit that! :drool:

Yup I will take a DB11 in Dark Syrah Color!

Everyone here knows I am a big Porsche fan. But I am also a big (though not as) Lamborghini fan. The 580-2 Huracan is a massively, massively appealing car to me. I love the looks, I love the V10, I love the straight line thrust. I also love the R8 for some of the same reasons, plus the added ability of having a car that can easily be driven daily.

In the end, though. I'd have to pick the 911 R. As much as I love some others in this price point, I feel this car is truly, truly very special. The kind of car that will be looked back upon in 25 years as quite possibly the greatest real driver's car of this era. That will bring 7 figures in the not too distant future. And in a way, I even love it's 'plain' looks. Stunning though the Bull and Ringed techno-wonder are, this is a car that forgoes loud aesthetics in the name of functionality and performance. It doesn't need them. That has it's own sort of appeal. You could drive this car to a C&C, and on the way, only get a passing glance as 'just another 911', and then have grown men go total 'Taylor Swift fangirl' mode. It's a car for only those in the know.

On a side note, the new Aston doesn't do much for me. I find the outgoing Vanquish and even DBS to be far better looking. I could really pick that car's design apart, especially in the picture posted of it. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I'd take Guards Red w/ only the tape stripe in black w/ white 'Porsche'. No over-stripes for me. 

I didn't see the white lettering as an option. Just black, red, or green.

Weird enough, I like the over striped kind of because they're ugly.. They don't mesh the greatest but I think that's the subtle way of saying, "I'm a 911 R".

On 11/12/2016 at 6:43 PM, ccap41 said:

Ohhhh haha well I guess I was just going with their available colors. I wonder if they would do anything special for such a limited run or just basically say, "you get grey or white and red or green stripes and that's it". 

Historically, they have done paint-to-sample even on their very limited production runs like the 997 GT3 RS 4.0, Carrera GT, 997 Speedster, etc. 

12 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Historically, they have done paint-to-sample even on their very limited production runs like the 997 GT3 RS 4.0, Carrera GT, 997 Speedster, etc. 

Those weren't limited in the same manner as this though, right?  Like this was set out to only make and sell 500 units while those other ones were just low production numbers.  Or am I just wrong? lol

10 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Those weren't limited in the same manner as this though, right?  Like this was set out to only make and sell 500 units while those other ones were just low production numbers.  Or am I just wrong? lol

Both 997's I mentioned were built in lower numbers than the new R.

18 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Both 997's I mentioned were built in lower numbers than the new R.

...and all this damned Porsche talk is making me want one....off to look at cheap Boxsters and older water cooled 911's, I guess....

On 11/11/2016 at 3:59 PM, dfelt said:

:drool: I would hit that! :drool:

Yup I will take a DB11 in Dark Syrah Color!

Ohh absolutely...now only to convince my wife to sell the house and buy a car....

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

...and all this damned Porsche talk is making me want one....off to look at cheap Boxsters and older water cooled 911's, I guess....

Ohh absolutely...now only to convince my wife to sell the house and buy a car....

Join the crowd buddy. A house is first on the list for us. <_<

1 minute ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Thanks. Tried to talk the wife into just putting a double-wide on some acreage out in the country and building a 5 car garage next to it. Didn't go over very well. :roflmao:

Yeah, I had a chance to buy a couple of houses cheap from fellow car guys which had 4 cars of garage space.....

I can imagine that not going over very well.