Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Advice on used cars...

Okay, doesn't look like going with a new small GM car lease will put the wife and I where we want to be financially (damn insurance premiums in NJ). We can continue to keep the '04 Malibu and find a way to afford the three NEW car payments + insurance costs... or we can get rid of the Malibu and find a decent used car for under $7k to hold us for a few years (not getting rid of the SKY, that's for darn sure :P ).

So cruising local dealer's online inventories and autoshopper.com, I've found some interesting cars:

1994 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi - 115k, loaded, $3995

1999 Buick Century Custom - 65K, $6995

1998 Buick LeSabre - 60K, $5888

So what do you think of these cars? Anything I should look out for? I'd really like a '98 or '99 Aurora, but none in my area worth considering. Should I stay away from that Bonne? I've always liked the '92-'95 SSEi's - this one is how I like it: white exterior with the white rims. But having tons of electronic gizmos and 115K and being 12 years old is making me think twice.

Any advice will be appreciated!

I'm also considering '99-'00 Olds Intrigues. The Century is a nice, comfortable car with a dependable 3.1 V6, and that's why I'm considering it - but I'm sure the wife will be turned off by it's "old person's car" appeal. Same with the Lesabre - but I know they're dependable and reliable cars. That '94 Pontiac Bonne SSEi really has caught my eye, but I don't know how reliable all the electronic gizmos will be in another year or so.

Whatever we get, it has to last 2-3 years or until our finances get in order and maybe another new car payment can be considered. The SKY is putting us over, but it's a toy I've been waiting for for a LONG time so it's going no where :P Right now I'm not making a move until I find something that makes me want to get it, or until the Malibu becomes too much to handle financially witht eh SKY and Envoy payments.

1994 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi - 115k, loaded, $3995

Out of all the cars you mentioned this seems like a

great deal. A family friend had a 1993 Bonneville

SSE (same thing minus Huffer) white-wiht tan interior

and he got rid of it at like 240,000 miles with nothing

but regular maintenance. Gotta love the 3800. :)

P.S. he drove it like he stole it. I used to babysit for

his kids and one time when he was dropping me off

at home we were discussing cars in the pouring rain

on Rt. 125 in Andover... it's a 35-45mph zone and

he was doing like 65-70.

Edited by Sixty8panther

I dont have experience with the Bonneville or Century, but the Lesabre is a nightmare to drive. The engine is fine, but the handling and steering is just bad. If you dont mind floating and bobbing over every bump, then it would be ok for you.

Does it have to be from a dealer? I bought my 98 Grand Prix from a private seller with 50k miles, GTP with every option, for $7200.

Edited by CaddyXLR-V

A big thing with some of the Latino guys around here right now is... big American cars with big ol' blingy rims. I've seen some LeSabres done up like that. Maybe that will make the car "younger" for the Mrs.? :)

I'm also considering '99-'00 Olds Intrigues. 

Yes. That's the ticket. These look better than the other cars you are considering. Go for 98 and early 99 with the 3800. Pass on the "Shortstar" V6 (3.5).

We've had great luck with both the Intrigue and the Alero, though we found the Intrigue to be the nicer of the two and well worth the extra money.

With todays gas prices, an Alero with an Ecotec would give you a little bit of everything. Around here you can find one with 50k or so for approx $7000.

A big thing with some of the Latino guys around here right now is... big American cars with big ol' blingy rims.  I've seen some LeSabres done up like that.  Maybe that will make the car "younger" for the Mrs.? :)

I noticed that around here too....

though I'd rather have the "hot rod" kinda rims...

look for a nice used intrigue....nicest of the W bodies IMO and if you find a 98 or 99 with a 3800 you know it is going to be reliable for years to come. Good luck with the shopping GMTG. I hope you find a nice car that fits your wallet.

Edited by scharmer05

Alright... don't tell me, then. :P

Yeah, I agree with those saying Intrigues and Aleros. Two cars that are the best of their respective platforms. However, I'd also look into a Vibe or a late 90's Saab 9-5. Both could probably be found for cheaper than the new cars you were thinking of. Also, a G-body Bonneville would be a good car, considering you can deal with the interior. :D

Alright... don't tell me, then. :P

Sorry BV, I didn't ignore you on purpose. :)

Here's the latest - the used and new car hunt is temporarily suspended. :rolleyes:

I think the wife is trying to drive me crazy. :banghead: She goes on this rant about our finances, especially how three car payments and their insurance to boot will "kill" us financially. She says we have to get rid of a car (which is impossible b/c her 64-mile roundtrip commute would kill the Envoy lease) or find a car with a lower monthly payment. When I tell her what we can get NEW for the amount of $$$ she wants, she then suggests used. Now yesterday she asks when the Malibu will be paid off - I say probably in two years. So know all of a sudden it might be better to pay a little more now to not have a car payment in two years (aka --> no new car when the Malibu is paid off).

So I'm sorry to be a burden here. I have no idea what she'll say next!

Moving on.... the 'bu has almost 36K on the odometer and the Bridgestone tires are crap. They're pretty much worn down and I need to start shopping for new tires. Any help here? I'm thinking of going with Goodyear because I've always been satisfied with those in the past. But tire shopping is not my area... where should I start?