Would You Rather: Early 00's Lite-Supercar Edition

Today supercar shoppers are spoiled for choice. There's more supercar, and almost-supercar choices than you set on fire. Some of them do that themselves, though.

But it wasn't always like this. No, rewind 13-14 years, and there but 2 real options- the Ferrari F430, and the Lamborghini Gallardo.

The F430 was the gorgeous 360 Modena's uglier, but more athletic successor. A car that continued Ferrari's foray into the digital age that their cars now reside in. 

The Gallardo was the car that saved Lamborghini and was the first full product developed by their overlords- the VW Group. Sometimes called the Camry of supercars, there are more Gallardos than every Lamborghini built before it put together.

You must choose between the cars in their base form, only as they were offered in the 2004 MY. HOWEVER, feel free to make an additional pick of the one you'd have if allowed to choose from either car in thier various iterations throughout their entire production span. Or, if you're feeling really frisky, maybe even do a 5 car Dream Garage collection of them.

So, which Italian entry level supercar would you prefer-

2004 Gallardo

2004_lamborghini_gallardo-pic-56961-1600

2004 F430

53261382_infinity.jpg

F430, no contest.  I have zero love for that era of lambo....

Image result for Alfa GTV

I would take a vintage Alfa to go with it....don't need five Italian cars....

Edited by A Horse With No Name

About 10 or so years ago I got  "to drive a supercar gift card" with one of the companies that do that sort of thing.  So the choice was between F430 and Gallardo.  I choose F430 because I always have been much more a Ferrari fan then Lamborghini, I loved the drive even if it was too short but after I drove F430 I got to sit in the Gallardo.  Lambo's interior looked cheap and crappy compared to the F430.  

So I would choose F430 even if I haven't driven one, but after I sat in both I can say definitely F430.

Edited by ykX

After much deliberation, I have to go with the F430 by a slim margin. I'm a much bigger fan of the later Gallardos, but the early cars were understeery, not that fast, and lack the finesse of the Prancing Horse, and their reliability and looks don't save them for me.

I'd take a Blu Abu Dhabi Coupe w/ the gated manual

96596202.jpg

F430, as pictured above, is just too stylistically tame AND jumbled. It lacks flow and IMHO, it lack presence. And the wheels too frequently look 'out of center' to the fender openings.

Lambo looks both cohesive and about 15 years newer than the ferrari. In that these cars primary sit parked nearly as much as my 1940 Ford, I'd rather look at the Lambo than the F430.

27 minutes ago, balthazar said:

F430, as pictured above, is just too stylistically tame AND jumbled. It lacks flow and IMHO, it lack presence. And the wheels too frequently look 'out of center' to the fender openings.

Lambo looks both cohesive and about 15 years newer than the ferrari. In that these cars primary sit parked nearly as much as my 1940 Ford, I'd rather look at the Lambo than the F430.

If we are going on looks, you and i would both prefer a 64 Pontiac wagon!

• Agree 1

Image result for 1964 Pontiac Wagon

For Balthazar and myself...

39 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

After much deliberation, I have to go with the F430 by a slim margin. I'm a much bigger fan of the later Gallardos, but the early cars were understeery, not that fast, and lack the finesse of the Prancing Horse, and their reliability and looks don't save them for me.

I'd take a Blu Abu Dhabi Coupe w/ the gated manual

96596202.jpg

A very nice color combination.

32 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Agree, although for guys like us where the world pretty much went away after the early 1970's....it is not bad by modern automotive standards.

That being said, I find even the Current generation Miata to be more attractive than either the Lambo or the Ferrari. Modern super cars are one thing I wish I loved...but really they leave me pretty cold.

8 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

If we are going on looks, you and i would both prefer a 64 Pontiac wagon!

Or 1966 Pontiac Catalina

1966PontiacCatalina.jpg

3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Or 1966 Pontiac Catalina

1966PontiacCatalina.jpg

I would rather own this than actually almost any Italian super car.

3 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Oh Horsey- what a stunning P-64 Safari!!

I do like some super car genre stuff- that Renault concept I posted in 'Random' is fairly awesome, kills any ferrari dead.

60's Pontiac's are just awesome in white, I find. 

Were that 64 to be a convertible in white, take me home to your parents-I am yours...

4 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Oh Horsey- what a stunning P-64 Safari!!

I do like some super car genre stuff- that Renault concept I posted in 'Random' is fairly awesome, kills any ferrari dead.

Ohh I like them. It's just that I will never own one and don't really dream of owning them. On a rainy afternoon at the library it is fun to look at a book full of them, or the one time a year I go to an Italian car show...

But really the Italian machinery i lust after is in the band saw department. 

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Totally valid points.

I like the Lambo's styling much more, but the Ferrari enjoys too much of a gap in driving pleasure for me to pass it over.

26 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Totally valid points.

I like the Lambo's styling much more, but the Ferrari enjoys too much of a gap in driving pleasure for me to pass it over.

See, I can't quite warm up to the Lambo's styling.  The newest stuff I like and the Miura I adore...but this generation leaves me really cold, actually.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/425551.jpg

Sorry the cut and paste Image makes it look like a VW kit car....

Image result for Miura car

I HATE THE GALLARDO.

Something about it makes me say NO!!!!

I never did like the 360 Modena and even less the F430.

I feel the F430 is too boyracer lookin' and not sexy enough for a Ferrari.  Sure the Testarossa was also boyracer, but it was a product of the 80s after all. And it was sleaker and sexier than the F430 will ever be.  At least that is how I see things.

With that being said.

Id be somewhat of a big douche bag wearing these

Related image

and driving my F430

Id make the boyracer style work for me!!!

Image result for ferrari f430 yellow and black

10 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I HATE THE GALLARDO.

Something about it makes me say NO!!!!

I never did like the 360 Modena and even less the F430.

I feel the F430 is too boyracer lookin' and not sexy enough for a Ferrari.  Sure the Testarossa was also boyracer, but it was a product of the 80s after all. And it was sleaker and sexier than the F430 will ever be.  At least that is how I see things.

With that being said.

Id be somewhat of a big douche bag wearing these

Related image

and driving my F430

Id make the boyracer style work for me!!!

Image result for ferrari f430 yellow and black

I like the Earlier and later Ferrari's far better.

...and Actually I think the F430 is not boy racerish, to me it comes across as a little bit plain and under thought...

A 5 car Dream Garage list (in order) of just F430 and Gallardo variants-

1) Verde Ithaca LP550-2 Balboni 6MT

balboni-1_653.jpg

2) Blu Abu Dhabi or Tour de France F430 Scuderia

blue_ferrari_f430_scuderia_by_partywave.

3) Rosso Mars Gallardo Super Trofeo

lamborghini-gallardo-lp570-4-super-trofe

4) Monterey Blue first gen Gallardo Spyder 6MT (w/ UGR Turbo Kit on low boost, ~800whp)

img1609.jpg

5) Bianco Isis (last gen) Gallardo Spyder

new_gallardo_lp560_spyder_figures.jpg 

Edited by Frisky Dingo

Ill do the Dream Garage on Thursday.

I had to assist my son's baseball game tonight.

Im assisting my daughter's softball game tomorrow night.

Im gonna be the Skipper at my son's baseball game Wednesday as the coach wont be there. Instaed of dreaming up Ferrari Dream Garages, Ill be dreaming up ideal batting orders and player positions the next little while.

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Ill do the Dream Garage on Thursday.

I had to assist my son's baseball game tonight.

Im assisting my daughter's softball game tomorrow night.

Im gonna be the Skipper at my son's baseball game Wednesday as the coach wont be there. Instaed of dreaming up Ferrari Dream Garages, Ill be dreaming up ideal batting orders and player positions the next little while

Good luck to both of them!