Model 3 to go on sale end of next week

balthazar

Tesla tweeted that the Model 3 will go on sale Friday July 7th.

While it is claimed to do 0-60 about a half second quicker than it's primary price competition --the Chevy Bolt--, disappointingly it's range is a mere 133 miles vs. the Bolt's 238. All along the range expectation was said to be over 200, many stating they thought it would be over 250. Combined with the lack of options & upgrades on initial launch, it remains to be seen what any rate of order cancellation may occur.

Looking forward to first 'journalist' test impressions- no doubt Tesla will be receive massive publicity & coverage when the 3's start becoming available, as per usual. Here's to hoping the launch is pulled off smoothly!

Where are you getting your 133 mile range info...

I'm seeing conflicting info including one amateur hour site that said 215 miles or 133km.. 215 miles is ~346km.

I'm assuming range is 215 miles.  This "news" post is just as bad as the other report saying no Model 3's would arrive until 2018 because orders put in now won't be built until 2018..

Edited by frogger

nobody's cancelin' nothin', man.

We have heard many....many times

maxresdefault.jpg

that people may gonna cancel every single time there is some sort of update on the Model 3, yet the sky is still where it is...

Chicken-Little01.png

From the Road and Track link 

http://www.motortrend.com/news/first-tesla-model-3-completed-friday/

In his first tweet, he stated that the upcoming Tesla Model 3 had already passed all regulatory requirements two weeks ahead of schedule and that the first (SN1) Model 3 would be completed by this Friday. Earlier this year we reported that production of the Model 3 would begin in July despite Tesla’s first-quarter losses, and apparently the EV maker managed to hit its goal.

His third tweet, the shortest, simply stated that Tesla Model 3 production will reach 20,000 units per month in December. This suggests Musk isn’t expecting the same production delays that plagued the Model X.

The Model 3 is expected to have an estimated driving range of more than 215 miles and should be able to reach 60 mph in about 5.6 secondsPrices will start at around $35,000 before government incentives.

We've already discussed to death the "prices will start at around $35,000 before government incentives." argumentMultiple sources do say buyers will probably opt for options raising the price tag...

In other words, people EXPECT to PAY MORE!

So much so that Musk was afraid this would cut into Model S sales...but it seems that Tesla sold a tad more cars than expected so there is no sky is falling scenario in this either!

Again, from the link

In April, we reported that Tesla was valued at $48.2 billion, $3.1 billion more than Ford, putting the EV automaker just behind General Motors. The announcement came after Tesla reported that worldwide shipments topped 25,000 units, exceeding estimates.

Tesla really does resemble Apple inc.

Since the 1980s, many detractors call Apple's demise time and time again...

The only time I fear for Tesla...is when that new Fisker EV comes to play!

image.jpg

And Fisker did do some work on the Tesla Model S before he skedaddled out of there! 

Other than that....I dont fear the Reaper!

Edited by oldshurst442

1 hour ago, frogger said:

Where are you getting your 133 mile range info...

The notoriously poor Yahoo news :
https://www.yahoo.com/news/tesla-says-model-3-car-082508266.html

Probably wrong, I should know better to quote them. Reviews will clarify the issue.

36 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

• Multiple sources do say buyers will probably opt for options raising the price tag...

• Tesla really does resemble Apple inc. Since the 1980s, many detractors call Apple's demise time and time again...

• There are no options on the Model 3... initially. Perhaps next calendar year, perhaps earlier... will have to see how production goes.

• Apple made $9 billion in profit, 4Q2016.

Edited by balthazar

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

• There are no options on the Model 3... initially. Perhaps next calendar year, perhaps earlier... will have to see how production goes.

• Apple made $9 billion in profit, 4Q2016.

True about the options on the Model 3....so the price tag will surely be close to 35 000 as speculated by the Motor Trend link (I thought it was Road and Track hence why I said the link is from Road and Track bit it is not, it is from Motor Trend) :stupid:

Weeeeee Hooo! 9 billion American smackeroonies! 

With a treasure chest (pun soon to come) as big as Dolly Parton's :censored: !!!

That does not stop some haters in hatin' and calling for Apple's demise....since the 1980s...(this may very well be anecdotal rather than CNN news like, but still!

My points were (to clarify) ~

• Tesla, financially, is NOTHING like Apple.

• And while yes- the initial $35K price may be the common tag, the majority of Model 3 buyers were willing to spend something like $42K with a number of guesstimated option prices/upgrades included. Questions :

1. Are these early reservation holders going to happy without the equipment they wanted/were willing to spend for?
2. What does an initial production run of $35K 3's do to Tesla's bottom line?? The estimates were that the 3 had to sell in the mid 40s to 50K to break even....

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Elon is aiming for volume this time to keep the lights on and amortize that R&D a bit sooner.

If he can make a go of it you might well see a 3 in my driveway in a few years to replace the Cooper S.  I wish him the best!

On 7/3/2017 at 7:13 PM, oldshurst442 said:

nobody's cancelin' nothin', man.

We have heard many....many times

maxresdefault.jpg

that people may gonna cancel every single time there is some sort of update on the Model 3, yet the sky is still where it is...

Chicken-Little01.png

From the Road and Track link 

http://www.motortrend.com/news/first-tesla-model-3-completed-friday/

We've already discussed to death the "prices will start at around $35,000 before government incentives." argumentMultiple sources do say buyers will probably opt for options raising the price tag...

In other words, people EXPECT to PAY MORE!

So much so that Musk was afraid this would cut into Model S sales...but it seems that Tesla sold a tad more cars than expected so there is no sky is falling scenario in this either!

Again, from the link

Tesla really does resemble Apple inc.

Since the 1980s, many detractors call Apple's demise time and time again...

The only time I fear for Tesla...is when that new Fisker EV comes to play!

image.jpg

And Fisker did do some work on the Tesla Model S before he skedaddled out of there! 

Other than that....I dont fear the Reaper!

I heard Don't fear the reaper in concert with my son...amazing song!