Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

What are your New Year's Eve and New Year's Day Traditions?

David

What are your

New Year's Eve and New Year's Day Traditions?

Since I am starting this off, I will tell you what Mine are, been the same for the last 26 years of Marriage. I am married to a Korean and they have very specific things that are done. 

We start off with a Korean Pot sticker making party in the first week of Dec. Make hundreds, people who help get some to take home, most are kept for use in what is called Korean New Year's Day Soup. We then start on the 26th and make a ton of homemade Beef broth with flank steak in it that is then shredded. We also make a wide variety of Korean side dishes from scratch. This takes multiple days as to why we start early. Then on New Year's eve, we clean the house, Korean custom, always start the new year off with a very clean house. New Years day, Koreans go and visit each other, friends and family stop by all day to visit, wish each other a happy new year and to have a bowl of New Year Soup.

What is in the soup? Beef broth, rice cakes, potstickers, shredded beef, green onion, optional egg and optional seaweed.

KoreanNewYearsDaySoup.jpg

So What is your traditions?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Roast pork with sauerkraut, my maw adds chicken thighs and sliced apples to soften the taste of the kraut, all in one big roasting pot.  She sticks it in the oven early in the morning on low heat and by the time we eat, everything falls apart beautifully.  Mashed potatoes on the side.  One old tradition that seems to have faded is that if a male is the first person to enter a home/visit on New Year's Day, it will be blessed with good luck.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Roast pork with sauerkraut, my maw adds chicken thighs and sliced apples to soften the taste of the kraut, all in one big roasting pot.  She sticks it in the oven early in the morning on low heat and by the time we eat, everything falls apart beautifully.  Mashed potatoes on the side.  One old tradition that seems to have faded is that if a male is the first person to enter a home/visit on New Year's Day, it will be blessed with good luck.

Very cool Tradition and sounds Yummy! :P

• Agree 1

Here is our New Years Day Soup, gonna enjoy it all day long along with our Korean Side Dishes.

20180101_083652.jpg

Dill Pickles, White Radish with spices, Jalapeno Cucumber and Danmuji (Korean Yellow Pickled Radish) Gives a crunch factor to the soup.

20180101_083726.jpg

• Agree 4

My mother-in-law usually makes a family dinner, where all the closest family is present.  Food wise nothing specially particular to that day, but food usually is good and in large variety.  Other then that we just trying to relax after the New Year celebration. 

• Like 1

No real traditions...first New Years back in Ohio, so on New Years Eve we went downtown to see the holiday displays in Public Square, drove through Playhouse Square over to Severance Hall at Case Western U for dinner and a performance by the Cleveland Pops Orchestra.   Then drove back home to the burbs around midnight.  Cold.   Then on New Years Day slept in and stayed inside watching the snow come down, watched a bit of college football. 

In Public Square downtown (first two pics) there is a skating rink set up..people were out skating at 6:30 pm-ish when I drove by...but it was 10F outside, so I was happy to stay instead w/ heated seats and wheel. 

26114030_10215438217378095_5583023221275641119_n.jpg

26165179_10215438216778080_3096296012311549601_n.jpg

26167147_10215438214218016_2156160725847915010_n.jpg

26166073_10215438211777955_9147708482626147379_n.jpg

26114219_10215439804057761_196321558688826079_n.jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

New Year's Eve I was originally going to go to Boston and enjoy the festivities with a friend, but it's so damn cold it didn't seem like it would be very fun to walk around with subzero wind chills. I defaulted to the "tradition" of watching some movies at home with family and then watching said festivities on TV.

• Like 1