April Car Spotter

Robert Hall

Haven't seen much memorable in the last week.  Looking forward to Spring, this winter weather is hanging around too long...33 and flurries today.    Saw a gold Chevy Express panel van with the license plate 'I DO HVAC'...clever call out to their occupation, presumably.    Also saw a late model silver Subaru Impreza with lot of surface rust on the hood...odd.  

13 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

The pizza delivery guy tonight was driving a silver late model Merc C63 AMG. 

Luxury Pizza delivered in supposed Luxury! 😛

Saw a clean red '74-77 Corvette at Dunkin Donuts this morning...had silver t-tops and some rims that looked like they came off of a C5.    Also saw this morning the two local Trailblazer SSes I see occasionally--the clean silver one (now has a cowl induction style hood) and the beater gray one. 

On Thursday evening was out enjoying the weather and went to a beach, saw a sharp turquoise '67 Plymouth Fury 2dr ht from a distance..very nice and rumbly..loud under acceleration.. 

• Agree 1

Saw a 1972 boat tail Riv on Thursday.  The owner told me it had the 455 V8.  (I don't recall anything else ever powering those Rivs.)  He also told me he didn't break 10 mpg.  Funny that half of that displacement would power the car 20 years later ... meh, 231 c.i. (3800) is close enough to 227.5 ...

And, as I was talking to this dude, a truck loaded with cars went wizzing by on the freeway.  Of the handful of cars on it, one was a much "cherrier" boat tail Riv in a light metallic blue with a white vinyl top.  With those odds, one probably should have bought a lottery ticket that day.

Got a running start and got to sit in a new Ram today at the local dealer.  Modestly optioned Big Horn shorty crew 4X4 wit Hemi.  While I'm not entirely sold on the kinder, gentler exterior, the interior is top notch.  FORTY-NINE THOUSAND DOLLARS!  And it's only a Big Horn, one step removed from Tradesman status!  :huh:

Found myself out and about at 5am, saw a white '14-15 Camaro Z/28 blasting along the 480 in the rain...only seen a couple of those over the years. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Was behind a Kia Niro this morning..first one I've seen on the road.  Seemed pretty low, more like a Golf hatchback than a CUV.  At the same time, there were two Sportages to my left and a Soul behind me...Parma, Oh is having a Kia invasion!  :)  

There is a late model Golf GTI 5dr around that I see every few days--black, with the C-pillars painted a contrasting dark gray from the roof down to the rocker...reminds of the side blades on the 1st gen Audi R8, kind of looks neat.

Someone in the lot where I park for work is preserving a 1985ish Dodge Aries coupe. Sitting high on fresh new springs and proud new 185 70r14s, it looks like it just rolled out of the Dodge-Chrysler-AMC dealer. 

Sitting there in dark blue, it really struck me how much like a Chinese knock-off Mercedes these can look like from certain angles. 

kcar1.JPG

• Agree 1

Saw a Brand New Terrain today on the way into work. Not sure I like the body style seeing it for real compared to the pictures. Could be the color of the CUV, but something just looked off and this is to also say that it blended to much with the Honda CR-V next to it. 😕

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Someone in the lot where I park for work is preserving a 1985ish Dodge Aries coupe. Sitting high on fresh new springs and proud new 185 70r14s, it looks like it just rolled out of the Dodge-Chrysler-AMC dealer. 

Sitting there in dark blue, it really struck me how much like a Chinese knock-off Mercedes these can look like from certain angles. 

kcar1.JPG

Wonder if it was an Estate Sale auto that some old person kept in their garage and drove like once a month to the store and back.

Once I saw it from other angles, it's not as clean as it looked as first...missing a wheel cover on the left front, the rear bumper rubber strip is loose, and there is bubby rust going on at the base of the vinyl top on the right C-pillar.  Still, nice...fascinating to think these cars were once very popular and everywhere...I remember them from when I was a kid... Cutlass Supremes were as common then as Camrys are today. 

14 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Spotted this clean Maroon Cutlass outside a local restaurant.  

IMG_4435.JPG

Always amazes me how people cannot seem to park in the middle of the parking spot and end up on one side of the other right against other auto's.

The one thing I did not like about all 2 door cars like this is how big the cars are for access to the back seat and the number of times people would open them and hit leaving a door ding in the auto next to it.

Another reason for parking square in the middle of the spot for best available door opening room.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Always amazes me how people cannot seem to park in the middle of the parking spot and end up on one side of the other right against other auto's.

The one thing I did not like about all 2 door cars like this is how big the cars are for access to the back seat and the number of times people would open them and hit leaving a door ding in the auto next to it.

Another reason for parking square in the middle of the spot for best available door opening room.

Lack of parking discipline drives me crazy... I go out of my way to make sure I'm centered in spots.   But some dumbass always seems to park with a tire right on the space boundary line or over it.   The long doors of 2drs are part of why I prefer 4drs in general.. especially in parking garages.  

My favorite parking headache story happened about 15 years ago in Denver.  I parked my old Jeep GC in a spot of the 5th floor of my employer's garage.  Came out at 5pm, and asshat #1 had parked a Chevy pickup so close to my left side I couldn't have opened the door, and asshat #2 had parked a Aerostar so close on the right I couldn't have opened the passenger door.   Had to open the hatch and crawl over the back seat, between the front seats into the driver's seat.  Arrggggghhhh

• Agree 2

I was behind a rusted out white Chevy minivan this morning--saw a badge on the tailgate I didn't recognize--'Uplander'..completely forgot about that model name, I remembered the 'Venture' that was it's predecessor.

I was stuck in traffic yesterday afternoon behind an Impala with the license plate 'STRYCH9'...so maybe the owner was a fan of the band, a fan of the retro jiu-jitsu clothing line, an exterminator or a serial poisoner? 

Idaho Dually with trailer having purchased two new Lexus from the dealership around the corner today. They had the Washington 3 day temp paperwork on the auto windows for transport.

Spring Purchases.jpg

Guess some like overpriced mid luxury auto's.

Idaho only has 1 Lexus dealer..guess they had to source cars from out-of-state dealers..  fascinating, apparently Montana doesn't have a Lexus dealer, and Washington, Oregon and Idaho together only have 7, less than Ohio. 

Sunny and 60s today...should have gone to the beach today instead of yesterday...went up the coast and stopped at several beaches--temps in the 40s and 50s and overcast yesterday.   Went to the carwash today, saw a few convertibles out and about w/ tops down-a yellow C7, a bright blue '18 Mustang GT w/ a temporary tag, a couple 3 and 4 series BMWs, and a clean light blue '75 Buick Le Sabre (so many of the '74-75 B-body convertibles seem to be light blue).