Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Regular C6 beats 500hp Shelby Mustang

What was the weight of the Mustang? I think the coupe weighs 3900lbs or so while the Vette weighs about 3250lbs.

3250/400 = 8.125

3900/500 = 7.8

So, maybe the Vette is underrated. As someone else asked, what did the Mustang cost?

What's funny is that the supercharged Mustang with 200 extra HP is only .6-.7 fast than the regular GT, and the GTO is almost as quick with the LS2. Give the GTO headers, exhuast, CAI, and it should be faster than the GT500. If not, adding a cam will definetly make the GTO faster.

I'd be willing to bet the results would be a bit different from a highway roll...What are the trap speeds on both cars?

Well the Mustang was only behind by .1 in the 1/4 and the Vette beat it to 150MPH by 3.5 seconds, so I don't know if that would be true.

The Mustang coupe costs $45k?!?! And it has the $h!ty interior still, so I'd take the Vette all day long. I could see the convertible being $45k, but not the coupe.

Chev-Ro-Effin-Let! :D

This.. is incredible. The Corvette has about 100 HP less and only costs about $500-1000 less. :lol:

i test drove the new Mustang GT manual transmission the other day and i understand why the GT500 is slower with the extra power...

the mustang GT rated at 300 hp seemed rediculously slow... the car didnt even have a seat of the pants feel... keep in mind, (brand new mustang GT) i took on a test drive, a put her up to 110 mph, fun little car, just gutless for a musle car...

after i got outa first the car seemed to be without a powerband...

so i assume the GT500 is the same thing... its just a HP claim without a powerband to back it up...

This.. is incredible. The Corvette has about 100 HP less and only costs about $500-1000 less. :lol:

Well, it has the performance to back it up. A 911 has less power than a Vette but it will still beat it pretty handily around the track.

Oh, and the GT500 is still a Mustang. The Vette is, well, a Vette. That makes a bit of a difference.

Corvette Trap speed 113

Mustang Trap Speed 112

Mustang price 45,000

About the Corvette... it won this duel handiliy

Was it a true C&D "Comparison Test" with all the figures, facts, and rankings? Or was it just a "preview drive" of both...?

It doesn't surprise me. I was assuming that the cars would be close with a base Z51 Vette Coupe running a bit faster in acceleration and probably quite a bit better in handling.

Pricing is really close too if you go lightly with your Vette options....

i cant say im surprised... but then again i didnt expect it to win in the 1/4 mile... so that portion made me happy... man i bet this will finally knock the mustang crowd down a few pegs...

one thing i dont understand... is why these where even compare in the first place... sure the GT500 has 100 more hp... but the vette is in a totally different league... you cant pit the ferrari killer against a straight line runner... its not fair to the poor stang...

and you people who were talking about the mustang GT not really having the powerband to backup the 300 hp... i beleive you... my car keeps up with those far too easily for that 300 to be any more than a lofty claim... im not saying ive beaten them... but i can keep up

i cant say im surprised... but then again i didnt expect it to win in the 1/4 mile... so that portion made me happy... man i bet this will finally knock the mustang crowd down a few pegs...

one thing i dont understand... is why these where even compare in the first place... sure the GT500 has 100 more hp... but the vette is in a totally different league... you cant pit the ferrari killer against a straight line runner... its not fair to the poor stang...

and you people who were talking about the mustang GT not really having the powerband to backup the 300 hp... i beleive you... my car keeps up with those far too easily for that 300 to be any more than a lofty claim... im not saying ive beaten them... but i can keep up

Well, the acutal numbers are strong for the Mustang GT....most C&D and MT comparos/road tests have the car going 0-60 in the low 5's.....which is not that bad at all.....

A GT would show its heels to an Impala SS, HEMI Charger, or say an Infiniti G35 Coupe...or BMW 3-series....yadda, yadda...

The Mustang GT is actually underrated for the #'s it makes on the dynos. The ones you've run into probably don't have the best drivers. I don't think I've seen numbers for auto GT's though, so maybe they're significantly slower.