Industry News: Rumorpile: Detroit Auto Show Moving to June

When we last reported on the date change of the Detroit Auto Show, organizers had made the final decision on what month it would be held beginning in 2020 - either October or June. A new report from The Detroit News says June will be month that will be announced at a press conference on July 24th.

Sources tell the paper that back in January that the Detroit Auto Dealers Association (DADA), organizers of the show sat down and started discussions as to moving the show. Originally, DADA had October as the month as it would move the show from the harshness of winter and give some breathing room from the Consumer Electronics Show (CES).

But plans changed after The Detroit News interviewed General Motors' senior vice president of global communications, Tony Cervone. He said a move to June had the potential to create a "massive festival of automotive" for consumers. The hope is that this event would draw people into visiting the various venues and concerts in Detroit. Organizers released a teaser video late last month showing outdoor test tracks and vehicle displays.

This brings us to a new twist. Ford is urging DADA to pull elements from the Goodwood Festival of Speed for this reimagined show. The Festival of Speed, being held this weekend, features a hill climb with a variety of racing and production cars, and a moving auto show that allows the press and would-be buyer to experience new vehicles. It should be noted that Ford has been a sponsor of the Festival of Speed for 23 years.

Source: The Detroit News

View full article

I like what i am reading and would have to say that this could really reboot the show into one of the premier shows to attend along with all the other stuff in the area to go and do.

I'd consider going if it were in October or June....both nice months in Michigan.  I have no interest in going to Detroit in January.  (I went to the NAIAS in '95-97 because I lived nearby in Ann Arbor). 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

47 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I'd consider going if it were in October or June....both nice months in Michigan.  I have no interest in going to Detroit in January.  (I went to the NAIAS in '95-97 because I lived nearby in Ann Arbor). 

Current Detroit Autoshow: mash up GIF

June is OK, IIRC from when I lived there..July and August were hot and humid.   The 3 years I lived there, I spent a lot of time in air-conditioned offices and labs (grad school)...the thing I remember most about summer was going to the beaches up on Lake Huron..very nice. 

13 hours ago, riviera74 said:

While escaping Detroit winters are totally understandable, are Detroit summers actually OK or ridiculously hot and humid?

It honestly varies. We're just coming off from a week-plus of hot and humid weather, and now it is slightly comfortable.

1 hour ago, William Maley said:

It honestly varies. We're just coming off from a week-plus of hot and humid weather, and now it is slightly comfortable.

Please define slightly comfortable?

To me in washington is upper 60's, lower 70's with 50% humidity no more. :P

Just trying to figure out the meaning of this. :) 

On 7/11/2018 at 10:20 AM, Anthony Fongaro said:

This is a great idea. I've only been to the Detroit Auto Show once and getting there and back from Illinois was a nightmare. 

Didn't we have a blizzard there that year? I think that's the year @William Maley had a Miata with snow tires as his press car for the show. 

13 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Didn't we have a blizzard there that year? I think that's the year @William Maley had a Miata with snow tires as his press car for the show. 

Yes, I believe it happened the night before and lasted into the morning before we headed out whatever GM preview that was taking place.

Let me tell you how happy I was to be on snow tires.

• Haha 1