William Maley

Industry News: Rumorpile: Detroit Auto Show Moving to June

When we last reported on the date change of the Detroit Auto Show, organizers had made the final decision on what month it would be held beginning in 2020 - either October or June. A new report from The Detroit News says June will be month that will be announced at a press conference on July 24th.

Sources tell the paper that back in January that the Detroit Auto Dealers Association (DADA), organizers of the show sat down and started discussions as to moving the show. Originally, DADA had October as the month as it would move the show from the harshness of winter and give some breathing room from the Consumer Electronics Show (CES).

But plans changed after The Detroit News interviewed General Motors' senior vice president of global communications, Tony Cervone. He said a move to June had the potential to create a "massive festival of automotive" for consumers. The hope is that this event would draw people into visiting the various venues and concerts in Detroit. Organizers released a teaser video late last month showing outdoor test tracks and vehicle displays.

This brings us to a new twist. Ford is urging DADA to pull elements from the Goodwood Festival of Speed for this reimagined show. The Festival of Speed, being held this weekend, features a hill climb with a variety of racing and production cars, and a moving auto show that allows the press and would-be buyer to experience new vehicles. It should be noted that Ford has been a sponsor of the Festival of Speed for 23 years.

Source: The Detroit News

View full article

I like what i am reading and would have to say that this could really reboot the show into one of the premier shows to attend along with all the other stuff in the area to go and do.

Posted (edited)

I'd consider going if it were in October or June....both nice months in Michigan.  I have no interest in going to Detroit in January.  (I went to the NAIAS in '95-97 because I lived nearby in Ann Arbor). 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

47 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I'd consider going if it were in October or June....both nice months in Michigan.  I have no interest in going to Detroit in January.  (I went to the NAIAS in '95-97 because I lived nearby in Ann Arbor). 

Current Detroit Autoshow: mash up GIF

While escaping Detroit winters are totally understandable, are Detroit summers actually OK or ridiculously hot and humid?

June is OK, IIRC from when I lived there..July and August were hot and humid.   The 3 years I lived there, I spent a lot of time in air-conditioned offices and labs (grad school)...the thing I remember most about summer was going to the beaches up on Lake Huron..very nice. 

13 hours ago, riviera74 said:

While escaping Detroit winters are totally understandable, are Detroit summers actually OK or ridiculously hot and humid?

It honestly varies. We're just coming off from a week-plus of hot and humid weather, and now it is slightly comfortable.

1 hour ago, William Maley said:

It honestly varies. We're just coming off from a week-plus of hot and humid weather, and now it is slightly comfortable.

Please define slightly comfortable?

To me in washington is upper 60's, lower 70's with 50% humidity no more. :P

Just trying to figure out the meaning of this. :) 

This is a great idea. I've only been to the Detroit Auto Show once and getting there and back from Illinois was a nightmare. 

On 7/11/2018 at 10:20 AM, Anthony Fongaro said:

This is a great idea. I've only been to the Detroit Auto Show once and getting there and back from Illinois was a nightmare. 

Didn't we have a blizzard there that year? I think that's the year @William Maley had a Miata with snow tires as his press car for the show. 

13 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Didn't we have a blizzard there that year? I think that's the year @William Maley had a Miata with snow tires as his press car for the show. 

Yes, I believe it happened the night before and lasted into the morning before we headed out whatever GM preview that was taking place.

Let me tell you how happy I was to be on snow tires.

• Haha 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      This past year hasn't been good for Jaguar Land Rover. A triple whammy of sales dropping in China, demand for diesel vehicles falling, and the looming threat of Brexit has seen the company report a 90 million pound (about $113,550,300) loss in the third-quarter. S&P Global Ratings recently cut their long-term rating into JLR's parent company, Tata Motors into Junk Status.
      Because of this, Jaguar Land Rover will be detailing a three-year cost-cutting plan next month. Tata announced the plan back in October that would save 2.5 billion pounds (about $3.2 billion) within the first 18 months. There would be job cuts, but Tata did not say how many. The Financial Times reported this week that JLR is planning to cut 5,000 of its 40,000 workforce in the U.K.- this according to sources.
      “It’s do or die at the moment,” Robin Zhu, an analyst from Bernstein said.
      “JLR has been seriously mismanaged in recent years, with cost runaways, products disappointing in the market, and hedging issues costing it billions."
      “Jaguar Land Rover notes media speculation about the potential impact of its ongoing charge and accelerate transformation programmes. As announced when we published our second-quarter results, these programmes aim to deliver £2.5bn of cost, cash and profit improvements over the next two years. Jaguar Land Rover does not comment on rumours concerning any part of these plans,” JLR said in a statement to The Guardian.
      Other parts of the plan are said to include a reduction in models and selling off various assets. But Evercore ISI, an investment advisory frim said JLR needs to do more than cut costs.
      "The company needs to consider whether it’s spreading itself too wide and whether competing with the Germans in the tough premium sedan segment is a viable strategy," it wrote in a note to investors this week.
      Source: Financial Times (Subscription Required) via The Guardian, Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article
    • By William Maley
      This past year hasn't been good for Jaguar Land Rover. A triple whammy of sales dropping in China, demand for diesel vehicles falling, and the looming threat of Brexit has seen the company report a 90 million pound (about $113,550,300) loss in the third-quarter. S&P Global Ratings recently cut their long-term rating into JLR's parent company, Tata Motors into Junk Status.
      Because of this, Jaguar Land Rover will be detailing a three-year cost-cutting plan next month. Tata announced the plan back in October that would save 2.5 billion pounds (about $3.2 billion) within the first 18 months. There would be job cuts, but Tata did not say how many. The Financial Times reported this week that JLR is planning to cut 5,000 of its 40,000 workforce in the U.K.- this according to sources.
      “It’s do or die at the moment,” Robin Zhu, an analyst from Bernstein said.
      “JLR has been seriously mismanaged in recent years, with cost runaways, products disappointing in the market, and hedging issues costing it billions."
      “Jaguar Land Rover notes media speculation about the potential impact of its ongoing charge and accelerate transformation programmes. As announced when we published our second-quarter results, these programmes aim to deliver £2.5bn of cost, cash and profit improvements over the next two years. Jaguar Land Rover does not comment on rumours concerning any part of these plans,” JLR said in a statement to The Guardian.
      Other parts of the plan are said to include a reduction in models and selling off various assets. But Evercore ISI, an investment advisory frim said JLR needs to do more than cut costs.
      "The company needs to consider whether it’s spreading itself too wide and whether competing with the Germans in the tough premium sedan segment is a viable strategy," it wrote in a note to investors this week.
      Source: Financial Times (Subscription Required) via The Guardian, Automotive News (Subscription Required)
    • By William Maley
      Infiniti will be debuting another electric concept at next month's Detroit Auto Show. The Japanese automaker has released a teaser showing off a curvaceous crossover. The details we can pull from this image include slim LED headlights, light-up badging, cameras taking the place of the side-view mirrors, and a sloping roofline.
      "The concept car we will show in Detroit is the beginning of a new era for INFINITI, and an illustration of where we want to go with the brand. Electrification and other new technologies have given us the opportunity to evolve our design philosophy," said Karim Habib, Executive Design Director, INFINITI in a statement.
      The concept will also debut a new modular platform that was built with electrification in mind. The platform, expected to debut on a production model in 2021, will be able to use parallel hybrid and pure electric powertrains. 
      Source: Infiniti

On Road to Electrification, INFINITI previews future fully-electric crossover, Showcases new EV platform
      North American International Auto Show world premiere of future fully-electric INFINITI crossover INFINITI to showcase a new EV platform INFINITI celebrating 30 years in 2019 HONG KONG – INFINITI will preview a vision for its first fully-electric crossover at The North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit in January, revealing a new form design language for electrification, infused with Japanese DNA. INFINITI made its global debut 30 years ago at the NAIAS.
      The advent of electrified platforms heralds a fresh approach to what crossover and sedan platforms look like, both inside and out. With new exterior proportions, electrification also gifts interior space, enabling spacious, and lounge-like interiors, rich in welcoming and assistive technologies.
      In January, the company announced INFINITI would electrify its portfolio from 2021 onward, using either e-power (serial hybrid) or pure EV powertrains.
      "Thirty years ago, as a 24-year old designer in the audience, I saw the birth of INFINITI in person and am proud to be part of the journey of creating iconic luxury automobiles," said Alfonso Albaisa, Senior Vice President for Global Design, Nissan Motor Co. "Now, 30 years later, Q Inspiration shows how new proportions triggered by the new electrified power of INFINITI has inspired a new direction, a new visual language. Alongside our Prototype 10 Pebble Beach Concept, both designs embody a deep simplicity inspired by the technology within and a new artistry inspired by our unique culture and of course our roots in Japan."
      The Q Inspiration, revealed at the 2018 NAIAS, and Prototype 10, seen at the 2018 Pebble Beach Concours d 'Elegance, both provided elements of a futuristic design language. At the 2019 NAIAS in January, these elements will come together to provide the clearest vision yet of the future of INFINITI in an era of electrified design.
      "The concept car we will show in Detroit is the beginning of a new era for INFINITI, and an illustration of where we want to go with the brand. Electrification and other new technologies have given us the opportunity to evolve our design philosophy," said Karim Habib, Executive Design Director, INFINITI.
      "The industry is at a technological inflection point," said Roland Krueger, Chairman and Global President of INFINITI Motor Co. "As such, INFINITI has a compelling vision as a luxury challenger brand to bring a full portfolio of beautifully-designed electric vehicles to customers around the world. We will focus on developing the full portfolio of e-power and EVs."
      INFINITI recently reported the best November sales in the brand's 29-year history.

View full article
  • My Clubs