Trouble for Harley Davidson Livewire complements of Lightning Motorcycles

David

Trouble for Harley Davidson Livewire complements of Lightning Motorcycles

image.png

While all the world was focused on the Detroit auto show this week, a small start up in San Carlos California announced their second motorcycle. In 2009 Lightning Motorcycles was founded to bring a true electric super-bike to the world. This bike was the LS-218 and has racked up numerous racetrack wins and set land speed records. The LS-218 has a governed top speed of 218 MPH, 10,500 RPM red line, 200 HP, 168 lb-ft of torque and a 100 mile range with a weight of 495 lbs. There are options to give the Super-Bike a 120, 150 or 180 mile range plus plenty of other options from enhanced brakes, suspension, etc. all for a starting retail price of $38,888 USD. It is truly the fastest production motorcycle in the world.

Now if this was all they had, Harley would not have a problem, but as the very first image above states, Lightning announced their second bike the "Lightning Strikes" that will have a base 150 mile range, top speed of 150 mph with a 35 min recharge on DC for a starting price of $12,998. Production begins March 2019. At this time there is no other information or pictures of the production bike, but all this will come out at the grand official Strike launch in March 2019.

150 miles of range, 150 mph top speed for $12,998, 🤔 I think Harley Davidson should be worried! 

image.png

Lightning Motorcycle

lightningmotorcycle.com
(650) 453-3769

The Lightning is a sport bike.

The Livewire is like a naked bike, right?  (real question)

Naked bikes are like a hybrid sort, right? (real question)  Like a cross between a sport bike and a cruiser, right? (real question)

If Im right with my assumptions above, and if Im right in thinking that the sport bike market niche is a different one than the naked bike market niche and maybe then Ill be right in thinking that the shoppers of these two bikes do not really cross shop?  

But maybe they do because a naked bike has the (probably 85% of the speed of a speed bike, but 100% of the comfort of a cruiser, but because the speed is there, and the image of a crotch rocket is also there, maybe the Lightning and Livewire will be crossshopped. 

What the hell do I know?  I do not know much about motorcycles.  Not my style. I think they are cool and all, but, not my style.

If I had to choose between the two, Id take the Livewire.  I do not like speed bikes all that much.   

Edited by oldshurst442

27 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

The Lightning is a sport bike.

The Livewire is like a naked bike, right?  (real question)

Naked bikes are like a hybrid sort, right? (real question)  Like a cross between a sport bike and a cruiser, right? (real question)

If Im right with my assumptions above, and if Im right in thinking that the sport bike market niche is a different one than the naked bike market niche and maybe then Ill be right in thinking that the shoppers of these two bikes do not really cross shop?  

But maybe they do because a naked bike has the (probably 85% of the speed of a speed bike, but 100% of the comfort of a cruiser, but because the speed is there, and the image of a crotch rocket is also there, maybe the Lightning and Livewire will be crossshopped. 

What the hell do I know?  I do not know much about motorcycles.  Not my style. I think they are cool and all, but, not my style.

If I had to choose between the two, Id take the Livewire.  I do not like speed bikes all that much.   

Good Questions and I myself have never heard of the term "naked bike".

@Drew Dowdell Do you know more about a "naked bike" versus a speed bike?

Since all we have is the front image so far of this new electric bike, I have no idea of the style yet.

If the Lightning Strike is a single rider bike like the Livewire bike, then I think Harley does have a problem as people will cross shop the two.

I honestly think based on the info they have supplied that it is another sports bike like the Livewire. To quote them: Lightning is announcing the upcoming launch of the all-new Lightning Strike – the world’s first premium mass-market electric motorcycle.

Does not sound to me as if it is going to be another crouch rocket speed bike.

See the source image

8 minutes ago, ykX said:

I thought sports bike have slightly different suspension and fork angle, plus different engine tuning

The can, but most are just shrouding and other aero.  A naked bike is generally considered a sport bike without the shrouds. More sporty than a standard bike. 

• Thanks 1

Almost all sport/supersport bikes have clip on handle "bars" that sit much lower than a standard or nakes sport bike. A standard/nakes sport bike has "regular" handle bars like a bicycle  Naked sport bikes also usually have a slightly detuned engine offering more mid range and less top end. The pegs are lower for a more confortable ride without having your knees and elbows touch(unless you're @dfeltand your elbows and knees touch on a Goldwing! 😂). 

Clip on's vs handlebars. You can see there's at least 2-3 inches difference in riding position of your hands alone. 

clip ons.jpg

handlebars.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

The pegs are lower for a more confortable ride without having your knees and elbows touch(unless you're @dfeltand your elbows and knees touch on a Goldwing! 😂). 

:roflmao: NAILED IT! 

• Haha 1