Item: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

Yeah, we've mostly given up on the Intellilink NAV in our Buick and just use Waze or Google Maps now. 

The entire system was a mess, and in both the Terrain and Traverse, whether USB, Bluetooth, or FM, would repeatedly crash, freeze, black out or lock onto Pandora by default at start up. This is a different world, however.

After putting 5,500 miles on a 2017 GC Limited rental I had, all over NYC, update NY, western PA, etc. repeatedly, definitely one of my favorite new vehicle packages. 550 miles to a tank, getting 23-26 mpg effortlessly in something silent and perfectly sized doesn't hurt either.

Mom, who was terrified of Start Stop, and I said "you can turn it off" now says "absolutely not. It's so cool. I'm in traffic or stuck all the time. Is that why it never needs gas? It's better than any of my cars...and so fast". Boom.

• Like 1

Ugh, that's one thing I hate about intellilink... every time we plug the phone in it tries three times to switch to Pandora even though we set it back to whatever we're listening to, usually XM or FM.

I look forward to having android auto and apple car play....I carry one of each.

I found the auto-stop in the Cherokee (not Grand) to be a little too aggressive in heavy traffic, but otherwise, I didn't mind it too much. I only shut it off once during a trip back to PA from Miami when there was a huge wreck on 95 north. 

The one thing I really really want in my next vehicle is adaptive cruise control. I think it would make a world of difference for me during the long drives I do. 

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Ugh, that's one thing I hate about intellilink... every time we plug the phone in it tries three times to switch to Pandora even though we set it back to whatever we're listening to, usually XM or FM.

I look forward to having android auto and apple car play....I carry one of each.

I found the auto-stop in the Cherokee (not Grand) to be a little too aggressive in heavy traffic, but otherwise, I didn't mind it too much. I only shut it off once during a trip back to PA from Miami when there was a huge wreck on 95 north. 

The one thing I really really want in my next vehicle is adaptive cruise control. I think it would make a world of difference for me during the long drives I do. 

I always talked people out of adaptive cruise...but now that I'm a road warrior daily in NY, I get it. Good move. Glad it's becoming standard now for normal car makers. You know, unlike GM focus groups and "our customers say they don't want those features"...where even blind spot is optional in a $50k+ Cadillac.

Thankfully, unlike GM again (also), the blind spot system in an FCA vehicle is functional, and vs. you having to stare at it because it does nothing but maybe light up, if its on and you signal, "beep beep beep!". Add adaptive cruise (easy not expensive bundle on a Limited), and you're set, including auto parking.

The difference in feel and platform between a Cherokee and GC is huge. So, auto stop is rarely noticed in the GC. She loves it...and that's saying something. We test drove a new Toyota Highlander Limited that would shudder on off on off every time, followed by a "what is wrong with this car?" reaction. Jeep, never notices, and likes it.

Edited by caddycruiser
  • Agree 4

4 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Very nice..I've been happy w/ my '14 GC Limited...had it almost 2 years now.  It's been great on road trips and around town.    

A friend is up to 110k on her 2014 GC Limited...with original brakes, a set of 20" tires changed once, and not much else. Great tanks, with mileage and capability to match.

A lot changed in 2016 forward, with engine modifications, tuning, the shifter, the front fascia, etc. so each year there are improvements that not everyone notices. Great car.

To be continued for the 2020 model year...as the next gen isn't ready yet, until 2021.

Edited by caddycruiser
  • Agree 3

Love that color!

Stop start is annoying on my Equinox...still not used to it yet!

Love the GCs, it was pretty much my choice before the nox. I am starting to think I might dump the Chevy for a limited one of these (all they have around here). Drove my bosses 18 Limited, and I really loved it. Just a very solid ride to me....

• Agree 4

About the only features from the higher trims (Overland or Summit) I'd like to have would be the power folding mirrors, pano roof, and ventilated seats, along w/ Apple Car Play from the newer versions.  Maybe in a few years I'll look for a CPO '19- '20 Summit in brown.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

The great thing about GJC, whatever anyone believes about FCA reliability...

They have built and sold so many and you can find parts everywhere for it, and Mopar is unparalleled in the variety of they product catalog. You can basically swap fascias, drive lines, half shafts, besrings, mostly anything except maybe transmission from the '11 redesign up till now. 

This is the edicated, wise person choice in this segment. Or get the new Explorer or Durango if you truly want something flashy

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

20 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

About the only features from the higher trims (Overland or Summit) I'd like to have would be the power folding mirrors, pano roof, and ventilated seats, along w/ Apple Car Play from the newer versions.  Maybe in a few years I'll look for a CPO '19- '20 Summit in brown.  

We own a consulting firm now for vehicle purchases, nationwide, and usually stay away from the higher end trims for those reasons. Air ride, few want nor is it recommended, and at the end of the day, not much else is different vs. a Limited. Go Limited Luxury II with panoramic, cooled seated, etc. and you have it all.

Get ANY 2018+, 7.0" or 8.4", and you have the latest UConnect with CarPlay anyway. Lots of trim options. to choose. Great mix.

17 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

The great thing about GJC, whatever anyone believes about FCA reliability...

They have built and sold so many and you can find parts everywhere for it, and Mopar is unparalleled in the variety of they product catalog. You can basically swap fascias, drive lines, half shafts, besrings, mostly anything except maybe transmission from the '11 redesign up till now. 

This is the edicated, wise person choice in this segment. Or get the new Explorer or Durango if you truly want something flashy

FCA "reliability" is no different than any other modern vehicle. I worked for Honda/Acura for 6+ years, and came to realize, driving dynamics aside, the build quality was a mix (or a mess), the refinement stunk, and still issues.

Before the Jeep, there was a 2011 GMC Terrain, a 2013 GMC Terrain, and a 2016 Traverse. None went in for any issues, per say, but all had miserable infotainment that would crash, black out, or stop working (aside from the 2011 without a touch screen) and poor powertrain dynamics. Buy a 1st 6 months Alfa Giulia...it'll be finnicky. Buy a Grand Cherokee, you've been fine for 8 years, and each year the powertrain tuning is even better.

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Love that color!

Stop start is annoying on my Equinox...still not used to it yet!

Love the GCs, it was pretty much my choice before the nox. I am starting to think I might dump the Chevy for a limited one of these (all they have around here). Drove my bosses 18 Limited, and I really loved it. Just a very solid ride to me....

For the cost of an Equinox...a more refined Grand Cherokee with a silent silky V6 and crisp 8 speed, that can get better mileage real world, is far more comfortable, etc. isn't that much more. See what's possible.

I had a base-base 2016 GC Laredo 4x2 as a rental, also, back in 2017 and it was just as nice, aside from few features. Also the first one I averaged 27.5mpg on a highway trip in.

• Agree 3

We got this back at the start of October, by the way. It's "in the family" and I bought it through my consulting firm.

Back in June of last year, with 6 months to go on the Traverse lease and a checklist of "I don't like...I don't want...but I do want", I made mom drive a checklist of cars:

Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo/Limited (what she said she wanted before driving)

Subaru Ascent Limited (loved it, just too big)

Buick Envision Turbo (too small, too narrow, didn't like the drive) and looked at a GMC Acadia ("don't need to drive it, thanks")

Mazda CX-9 Touring (beautiful, comfortable, and not too big. She just didn't want it)

2019 Kia Sorento EX AWD V6 (another one she really liked)

Toyota Highlander Limited (minivan, meh, and not a fave)

Waited another 3 months, then off with the Traverse and into a late model year 2018 JGC Limited.

Edited by caddycruiser
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, caddycruiser said:

For the cost of an Equinox...a more refined Grand Cherokee with a silent silky V6 and crisp 8 speed, that can get better mileage real world, is far more comfortable, etc. isn't that much more. See what's possible.

I had a base-base 2016 GC Laredo 4x2 as a rental, also, back in 2017 and it was just as nice, aside from few features. Also the first one I averaged 27.5mpg on a highway trip in.

Meh, with the age of our fleet, I could just dump the Equinox on the wife.. 🙂 

Besides being a bit more plasticy than I like and the stop start issue, the Nox is a pretty nice ride. Even just having an LS offers me quite a bit....

I think if I could sock a little more in funds to go to the Nox, I could see a nice Jeep in the near future.......

• Agree 2

• 5 months later...

Visited western PA Wednesday last week, and got to see the Jeep for the first time since last October at delivery. 8,800 miles and great. Sunrise morning views in PA:

spacer.png

Alongside my Forester:

spacer.png

Dealer serviced once. Enjoyable, and the best combination of power & mileage of any of the last 4 utes. "Just right" size.

Edited by caddycruiser
  • Agree 2