Drew Dowdell

Lexus News: Lexus GX 460 Gets a Face..... Lift?

Neither are great for long term resale... but I'd trust a 10 year old GX more in a normal daily use routine. It's one of those vehicles that you can see going to 300k miles and the biggest issue on it is that the leather seats are starting to crack. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Neither are great for long term resale... but I'd trust a 10 year old GX more in a normal daily use routine. It's one of those vehicles that you can see going to 300k miles and the biggest issue on it is that the leather seats are starting to crack. 

GX is like my 1994 GMC SLE Suburban, it gets all the regular maintenance at the scheduled interval and it just runs 300K plus miles. 

Why would I want to give up the interior room for an overpriced G-Wagon that is very expensive just for the maintenance.

10 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Exactly my point. The sheer number of both those and 4 Runners for sale with 200k+ miles on them while still looking in good shape is a testament to their long term durability. 

24 minutes ago, dfelt said:

it gets all the regular maintenance at the scheduled interval and it just runs 300K plus miles

That would be any vehicle. 

It's impressive when the regular maintenance is getting skipped or pushed back tens of thousands of miles. 

40 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Hand built low volume with a much higher cost of ownership.

Choosing your own categories to discredit another vehicle.. 

Value retention becomes discredited if it is low volume and has higher operating costs. 

What is the cost of ownership difference? 

53 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

EF7AF073-FE98-4389-9B3B-AC3F53DD59F3.png

What in the fck is "santanderconsumerusa.com" as a source?

Over what span? 

21 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It's impressive when the regular maintenance is getting skipped or pushed back tens of thousands of miles. 

Have to disagree with you as I have seen plenty of American, Asian and European cars get their regular maintenance and still not last 100,000 miles.

This is not just any Vehicle.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Choosing your own categories to discredit another vehicle.. 

Value retention becomes discredited if it is low volume and has higher operating costs. 

What is the cost of ownership difference? 

What in the fck is "santanderconsumerusa.com" as a source?

Over what span? 

You again, did not read everything. I stated that it was over a five year span. Good grief. Pay attention next time before clicking that quote button. Since you want to pick on the source. Here’s another one (market watch but the information comes from Kelly Blue Book). You have been living under a rock if you don’t know that 4 Runners are habitually at the top of those lists almost every year. 

https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-career/suvs-actually-worth-good-money-after-5-years-on-the-road.html/

Do you get it now or do you have yet another pointless semantics laden argument to make while ignoring the initial discussion in the first place (SMKs assertion that “old isn’t reliable”)? For gods sake, pay attention.

Edited by surreal1272

59 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

“That would be any vehicle”

Fiat begs to differ and if any vehicle were capable of it the there would be tons of them available. Alas, there is not because companies put together crap engines while some put together crap transmissions. Some screw up both (see older Dodge 2.7L models as an example of this. 

36 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Have to disagree with you as I have seen plenty of American, Asian and European cars get their regular maintenance and still not last 100,000 miles.

You have actual specific evidence that the owners were flushing transmissions, replacing shocks and struts, flushing cooling system, every 50k... like it is in those old manuals? Then not last 100k miles? I'm sorry but it is impossible to believe that. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Exactly. Spending even a short amount of time at a dealership will prove that. 

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

You have actual specific evidence that the owners were flushing transmissions, replacing shocks and struts, flushing cooling system, every 50k... like it is in those old manuals? Then not last 100k miles? I'm sorry but it is impossible to believe that. 

Do you have actual proof to the contrary? I’m betting not. 

9 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

did not read everything

I'm sorry, Sweetie. Please forgive me. 

10 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Pay attention next time before clicking that quote button

To quote the great surreal1272, " Don't tell me what to do." 

despicable me kiss GIF

3 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Do you have actual proof to the contrary? I’m betting not.

Sure do. 

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, ykX said:

Q7 starts at $73k

Yes GX is old but is PROVEN to be very reliable and it is PROVEN to be really good off-road 

Audi Q7 starts at $53,550.  It is also nearly the size of a GLS.

Toyota can't make a reliable car with a modern engine?  They can't make a GX that gets 25 mpg highway rather than 18 mpg highway?  It is lazy on the part of Toyota.  

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It isn't about trusting a 10 year old GX, it is why would anyone pay $53K or more for a GX that has the same engine it had 10 years ago.  On the XT6 thread most of us were saying they need an option powertrain because 310 hp isn't enough.  Well the XT6 has 9 more hp than the GX460 and probably beats it by 5 mpg easily.

2 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Do you get it now or do you have yet another pointless semantics laden argument to make while ignoring the initial discussion in the first place (SMKs assertion that “old isn’t reliable”)? For gods sake, pay attention.

Old isn't reliable.  The Dodge Journey is old, that isn't reliable or quality made.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I'm sorry, Sweetie. Please forgive me. 

To quote the great surreal1272, " Don't tell me what to do." 

despicable me kiss GIF

Sure do. 

And proving his trolling tendencies once again while answering not a damn thing. 

You say “sure do” yet you don’t actually offer said proof. More trolling I guess. Feel free to make another whimsical comment while lying about what you just told me not even a day ago. It’s what children do. 

54 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

It isn't about trusting a 10 year old GX, it is why would anyone pay $53K or more for a GX that has the same engine it had 10 years ago.  On the XT6 thread most of us were saying they need an option powertrain because 310 hp isn't enough.  Well the XT6 has 9 more hp than the GX460 and probably beats it by 5 mpg easily.

Old isn't reliable.  The Dodge Journey is old, that isn't reliable or quality made.

Hey ccap, I mean SMK. Pay attention. I never said all things old were reliable. I gave you two perfect examples ones that were though, including the one of which this thread is about. If you’re going to move the damn bar like that, just say so I’m advance. 

And based on your GX logic why would anyone have paid six figures for a German Jeep that had not changed (for the most part) for three decades? Again, you fail when you single out something you don’t like while ignoring the one you do like. For the record, that ancient GX gets better MPGS than that $125K G-Wagon. Surely the “best or nothing” can do better. 

736DC10A-621B-4EDB-83F4-54BF580E1790.png

Edited by surreal1272
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/18/2019 at 11:58 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

With a different face, I could totally be into this vehicle. 

Yeah, this thing is kind of a paper bag special with that face....

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Audi Q7 starts at $53,550.  It is also nearly the size of a GLS.

The lowest trim Q7 comes with 2.0 turbo, which is a joke on a large vehicle like that. 

I would rather have old V8 in the GX or old V6 in the 4Runner.

Here is from Consumer Reports reliability rating of the vehicles that have been discussed:

BMW X5

image.thumb.png.634da3f4c0d3a9ef2f537e7b8ac20fdf.png

Audi Q7

image.thumb.png.75bc3ff0748a1289e91dd1bf5d47221d.png

MB M-Class

image.png.32baa932ce984f3e802832fe77085da1.png

MB GLE

image.thumb.png.a6059731c6cdc2051985d1bc0b32ac90.png

Lexus GX

image.thumb.png.9ddfdf64026ccf3099b2482a6e0c93b0.png

• Upvote 1

The 4 cylinder Q7 and GLE are both faster than a V8 Lexus GX460.  And the Q7 and GLE have more powerful engine options too, GX460 doesn’t.

No doubt Lexuses are reliable, they are the most reliable vehicle on the road.  But the GX could use the 415 hp V6 from the LS and still be reliable.  

3 hours ago, smk4565 said:

The 4 cylinder Q7 and GLE are both faster than a V8 Lexus GX460.  And the Q7 and GLE have more powerful engine options too, GX460 doesn’t.

No doubt Lexuses are reliable, they are the most reliable vehicle on the road.  But the GX could use the 415 hp V6 from the LS and still be reliable.  

Your ignoring a key item here, the BULK of Lexus owners could CARE LESS about the HP / Torque of their engines in comparison to the butter smooth and VERY QUIETness of the auto with long term reliability.

I know this to be true as I have been asking folks here in the office who own Lexuses if they feel it needs more power and so far NO ONE has told me they wish the Lexus auto they drive needs more power.

So then what is it about their auto as to why they bought it? RELIABILITY

Whether you believe it or not, the Marketing machine of Lexus has that front and center in the mind of the customer.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Your ignoring a key item here, the BULK of Lexus owners could CARE LESS about the HP / Torque of their engines in comparison to the butter smooth and VERY QUIETness of the auto with long term reliability.

I know this to be true as I have been asking folks here in the office who own Lexuses if they feel it needs more power and so far NO ONE has told me they wish the Lexus auto they drive needs more power.

Whether you believe it or not, the Marketing machine of Lexus has that front and center in the mind of the customer.

Bingo..as long as the power is sufficient, it's fine.   Lexus owners aren't getting into pissing contests over 0-60 with M-B leasers or internet obsessives.    With Lexus, it's about quiet and reliability.  Nothing wrong with that being the priority.   

I wouldn't mind having an older LS or 1st gen SC, w/ the V8. 

• Upvote 1

Such hypocrites.. Everybody here will ask for more power from a V8 that only puts out 300 ponies until that works for your personal narrative against smk. Everybody knows the combo of V8 + 300hp + 15/18mpg is dated as all hell. Those are literally pre-recession kind of numbers. It only has 64.7 cubic of space behind the driver.. A Chevy Equinox has 63.5 cubic feet of volume behind the driver's row. 

It better be reliable because it does literally nothing else very well or even adequate for the price they're selling for. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It better be reliable because it does literally nothing else very well or even adequate for the price they're selling for. 

That's very true, but it has one more thing besides reliability that I personally like - it is a real off road capable truck.  I know that 99% of the owners will never take it off road and that it drives like a dinosaur compared to X5 or GLE.  But it is based on a very popular and capable Land Cruiser Prada, it is very reliable and very capable off road, and it makes it desirable to me personally.  I wish it would be less ugly though and have the looks of the truck it based on but all manufacturers now have to have one corporate design now days.

Lexus does need something more modern to compete with BMW or MB.

Plenty of people though grab used ones after soccer moms are done with them and make real off road rigs

sn59-3446-GX460.jpg

• Upvote 1

It is a "pretty dang good" off-roader. It is difficult to say it is a real off-roader when it is missing a locking rear diff(even the 4Runner TRD Pro and Land Cruiser are missing one...). There is no doubt they are a very good platform to build off of for off-roading. 

I've actually been following TFL and they're TRD Pro-ing a Land Cruiser. The guys can be annoying but I enjoy most of their content...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

Is the Lexus 4.7 V8 from 2007 era, more refined, quieter, and more reliable than the 3.5 V6 hybrid system in the RX or the turbo V6 in their top of the line LS and LC products?   If the 4.7 is the superior engine than the $100,000 LC500 should use it.

The GX V8 was barely competitive with the Northstar V8 that GM killed in 2009.  Imagine a 2020 Escalade or CT6 with the STS's Northstar cranking out 320 hp and Cadillac saying they use that engine because it is reliable.  

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Such hypocrites.. Everybody here will ask for more power from a V8 that only puts out 300 ponies until that works for your personal narrative against smk. Everybody knows the combo of V8 + 300hp + 15/18mpg is dated as all hell. Those are literally pre-recession kind of numbers. It only has 64.7 cubic of space behind the driver.. A Chevy Equinox has 63.5 cubic feet of volume behind the driver's row. 

Exactly!  2 weeks ago everyone here was saying 335 hp and 400 lb-ft from a 3 liter V6 that will probably pull more like 20/30 mpg was not enough power in the Cadillac CT5.  Now the same people say a 301 hp V8 with 15/18 mpg is a good thing because it is reliable.   Maybe GM should dump all their 420 hp 6.2 V8s and buy some of these Lexus V8s so they can have best in class reliability with the Silverado and Escalade.  Hell, the Silverado's 4 cylinder makes more power than the Lexus V8.

• Upvote 1