Lexus News: Lexus GX 460 Gets a Face..... Lift?

Neither are great for long term resale... but I'd trust a 10 year old GX more in a normal daily use routine. It's one of those vehicles that you can see going to 300k miles and the biggest issue on it is that the leather seats are starting to crack. 

• Agree 4

4 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Neither are great for long term resale... but I'd trust a 10 year old GX more in a normal daily use routine. It's one of those vehicles that you can see going to 300k miles and the biggest issue on it is that the leather seats are starting to crack. 

GX is like my 1994 GMC SLE Suburban, it gets all the regular maintenance at the scheduled interval and it just runs 300K plus miles. 

Why would I want to give up the interior room for an overpriced G-Wagon that is very expensive just for the maintenance.

10 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Exactly my point. The sheer number of both those and 4 Runners for sale with 200k+ miles on them while still looking in good shape is a testament to their long term durability. 

24 minutes ago, dfelt said:

it gets all the regular maintenance at the scheduled interval and it just runs 300K plus miles

That would be any vehicle. 

It's impressive when the regular maintenance is getting skipped or pushed back tens of thousands of miles. 

40 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Hand built low volume with a much higher cost of ownership.

Choosing your own categories to discredit another vehicle.. 

Value retention becomes discredited if it is low volume and has higher operating costs. 

What is the cost of ownership difference? 

53 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

EF7AF073-FE98-4389-9B3B-AC3F53DD59F3.png

What in the fck is "santanderconsumerusa.com" as a source?

Over what span? 

21 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It's impressive when the regular maintenance is getting skipped or pushed back tens of thousands of miles. 

Have to disagree with you as I have seen plenty of American, Asian and European cars get their regular maintenance and still not last 100,000 miles.

This is not just any Vehicle.

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Choosing your own categories to discredit another vehicle.. 

Value retention becomes discredited if it is low volume and has higher operating costs. 

What is the cost of ownership difference? 

What in the fck is "santanderconsumerusa.com" as a source?

Over what span? 

You again, did not read everything. I stated that it was over a five year span. Good grief. Pay attention next time before clicking that quote button. Since you want to pick on the source. Here’s another one (market watch but the information comes from Kelly Blue Book). You have been living under a rock if you don’t know that 4 Runners are habitually at the top of those lists almost every year. 

https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-career/suvs-actually-worth-good-money-after-5-years-on-the-road.html/

Do you get it now or do you have yet another pointless semantics laden argument to make while ignoring the initial discussion in the first place (SMKs assertion that “old isn’t reliable”)? For gods sake, pay attention.

Edited by surreal1272

59 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

“That would be any vehicle”

Fiat begs to differ and if any vehicle were capable of it the there would be tons of them available. Alas, there is not because companies put together crap engines while some put together crap transmissions. Some screw up both (see older Dodge 2.7L models as an example of this. 

36 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Have to disagree with you as I have seen plenty of American, Asian and European cars get their regular maintenance and still not last 100,000 miles.

You have actual specific evidence that the owners were flushing transmissions, replacing shocks and struts, flushing cooling system, every 50k... like it is in those old manuals? Then not last 100k miles? I'm sorry but it is impossible to believe that. 

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Exactly. Spending even a short amount of time at a dealership will prove that. 

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

You have actual specific evidence that the owners were flushing transmissions, replacing shocks and struts, flushing cooling system, every 50k... like it is in those old manuals? Then not last 100k miles? I'm sorry but it is impossible to believe that. 

Do you have actual proof to the contrary? I’m betting not. 

9 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

did not read everything

I'm sorry, Sweetie. Please forgive me. 

10 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Pay attention next time before clicking that quote button

To quote the great surreal1272, " Don't tell me what to do." 

despicable me kiss GIF

3 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Do you have actual proof to the contrary? I’m betting not.

Sure do. 

• Disagree 1

9 hours ago, ykX said:

Q7 starts at $73k

Yes GX is old but is PROVEN to be very reliable and it is PROVEN to be really good off-road 

Audi Q7 starts at $53,550.  It is also nearly the size of a GLS.

Toyota can't make a reliable car with a modern engine?  They can't make a GX that gets 25 mpg highway rather than 18 mpg highway?  It is lazy on the part of Toyota.  

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It isn't about trusting a 10 year old GX, it is why would anyone pay $53K or more for a GX that has the same engine it had 10 years ago.  On the XT6 thread most of us were saying they need an option powertrain because 310 hp isn't enough.  Well the XT6 has 9 more hp than the GX460 and probably beats it by 5 mpg easily.

2 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Do you get it now or do you have yet another pointless semantics laden argument to make while ignoring the initial discussion in the first place (SMKs assertion that “old isn’t reliable”)? For gods sake, pay attention.

Old isn't reliable.  The Dodge Journey is old, that isn't reliable or quality made.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I'm sorry, Sweetie. Please forgive me. 

To quote the great surreal1272, " Don't tell me what to do." 

despicable me kiss GIF

Sure do. 

And proving his trolling tendencies once again while answering not a damn thing. 

You say “sure do” yet you don’t actually offer said proof. More trolling I guess. Feel free to make another whimsical comment while lying about what you just told me not even a day ago. It’s what children do. 

54 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

It isn't about trusting a 10 year old GX, it is why would anyone pay $53K or more for a GX that has the same engine it had 10 years ago.  On the XT6 thread most of us were saying they need an option powertrain because 310 hp isn't enough.  Well the XT6 has 9 more hp than the GX460 and probably beats it by 5 mpg easily.

Old isn't reliable.  The Dodge Journey is old, that isn't reliable or quality made.

Hey ccap, I mean SMK. Pay attention. I never said all things old were reliable. I gave you two perfect examples ones that were though, including the one of which this thread is about. If you’re going to move the damn bar like that, just say so I’m advance. 

And based on your GX logic why would anyone have paid six figures for a German Jeep that had not changed (for the most part) for three decades? Again, you fail when you single out something you don’t like while ignoring the one you do like. For the record, that ancient GX gets better MPGS than that $125K G-Wagon. Surely the “best or nothing” can do better. 

736DC10A-621B-4EDB-83F4-54BF580E1790.png

Edited by surreal1272
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Audi Q7 starts at $53,550.  It is also nearly the size of a GLS.

The lowest trim Q7 comes with 2.0 turbo, which is a joke on a large vehicle like that. 

I would rather have old V8 in the GX or old V6 in the 4Runner.

Here is from Consumer Reports reliability rating of the vehicles that have been discussed:

BMW X5

image.thumb.png.634da3f4c0d3a9ef2f537e7b8ac20fdf.png

Audi Q7

image.thumb.png.75bc3ff0748a1289e91dd1bf5d47221d.png

MB M-Class

image.png.32baa932ce984f3e802832fe77085da1.png

MB GLE

image.thumb.png.a6059731c6cdc2051985d1bc0b32ac90.png

Lexus GX

image.thumb.png.9ddfdf64026ccf3099b2482a6e0c93b0.png

• Agree 1

The 4 cylinder Q7 and GLE are both faster than a V8 Lexus GX460.  And the Q7 and GLE have more powerful engine options too, GX460 doesn’t.

No doubt Lexuses are reliable, they are the most reliable vehicle on the road.  But the GX could use the 415 hp V6 from the LS and still be reliable.  

3 hours ago, smk4565 said:

The 4 cylinder Q7 and GLE are both faster than a V8 Lexus GX460.  And the Q7 and GLE have more powerful engine options too, GX460 doesn’t.

No doubt Lexuses are reliable, they are the most reliable vehicle on the road.  But the GX could use the 415 hp V6 from the LS and still be reliable.  

Your ignoring a key item here, the BULK of Lexus owners could CARE LESS about the HP / Torque of their engines in comparison to the butter smooth and VERY QUIETness of the auto with long term reliability.

I know this to be true as I have been asking folks here in the office who own Lexuses if they feel it needs more power and so far NO ONE has told me they wish the Lexus auto they drive needs more power.

So then what is it about their auto as to why they bought it? RELIABILITY

Whether you believe it or not, the Marketing machine of Lexus has that front and center in the mind of the customer.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Your ignoring a key item here, the BULK of Lexus owners could CARE LESS about the HP / Torque of their engines in comparison to the butter smooth and VERY QUIETness of the auto with long term reliability.

I know this to be true as I have been asking folks here in the office who own Lexuses if they feel it needs more power and so far NO ONE has told me they wish the Lexus auto they drive needs more power.

Whether you believe it or not, the Marketing machine of Lexus has that front and center in the mind of the customer.

Bingo..as long as the power is sufficient, it's fine.   Lexus owners aren't getting into pissing contests over 0-60 with M-B leasers or internet obsessives.    With Lexus, it's about quiet and reliability.  Nothing wrong with that being the priority.   

I wouldn't mind having an older LS or 1st gen SC, w/ the V8. 

• Agree 1

Such hypocrites.. Everybody here will ask for more power from a V8 that only puts out 300 ponies until that works for your personal narrative against smk. Everybody knows the combo of V8 + 300hp + 15/18mpg is dated as all hell. Those are literally pre-recession kind of numbers. It only has 64.7 cubic of space behind the driver.. A Chevy Equinox has 63.5 cubic feet of volume behind the driver's row. 

It better be reliable because it does literally nothing else very well or even adequate for the price they're selling for. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It better be reliable because it does literally nothing else very well or even adequate for the price they're selling for. 

That's very true, but it has one more thing besides reliability that I personally like - it is a real off road capable truck.  I know that 99% of the owners will never take it off road and that it drives like a dinosaur compared to X5 or GLE.  But it is based on a very popular and capable Land Cruiser Prada, it is very reliable and very capable off road, and it makes it desirable to me personally.  I wish it would be less ugly though and have the looks of the truck it based on but all manufacturers now have to have one corporate design now days.

Lexus does need something more modern to compete with BMW or MB.

Plenty of people though grab used ones after soccer moms are done with them and make real off road rigs

sn59-3446-GX460.jpg

• Agree 1

It is a "pretty dang good" off-roader. It is difficult to say it is a real off-roader when it is missing a locking rear diff(even the 4Runner TRD Pro and Land Cruiser are missing one...). There is no doubt they are a very good platform to build off of for off-roading. 

I've actually been following TFL and they're TRD Pro-ing a Land Cruiser. The guys can be annoying but I enjoy most of their content...

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

Is the Lexus 4.7 V8 from 2007 era, more refined, quieter, and more reliable than the 3.5 V6 hybrid system in the RX or the turbo V6 in their top of the line LS and LC products?   If the 4.7 is the superior engine than the $100,000 LC500 should use it.

The GX V8 was barely competitive with the Northstar V8 that GM killed in 2009.  Imagine a 2020 Escalade or CT6 with the STS's Northstar cranking out 320 hp and Cadillac saying they use that engine because it is reliable.  

Such hypocrites.. Everybody here will ask for more power from a V8 that only puts out 300 ponies until that works for your personal narrative against smk. Everybody knows the combo of V8 + 300hp + 15/18mpg is dated as all hell. Those are literally pre-recession kind of numbers. It only has 64.7 cubic of space behind the driver.. A Chevy Equinox has 63.5 cubic feet of volume behind the driver's row. 

Exactly!  2 weeks ago everyone here was saying 335 hp and 400 lb-ft from a 3 liter V6 that will probably pull more like 20/30 mpg was not enough power in the Cadillac CT5.  Now the same people say a 301 hp V8 with 15/18 mpg is a good thing because it is reliable.   Maybe GM should dump all their 420 hp 6.2 V8s and buy some of these Lexus V8s so they can have best in class reliability with the Silverado and Escalade.  Hell, the Silverado's 4 cylinder makes more power than the Lexus V8.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

And SMK will use the “old isn’t reliable” remark as long as it can’t be used against Mercedes. See how that works while you whine about “hypocrisy”. LMAO that you even went there. The fact is, and this has been pointed out my multiple people here, is that the average Lexus buyer isn’t as concerned about horsepower as much as they are reliability. You and SMK have sidestepped that little face throughout this whole thread while trying to pick apart everyone else or just move the bar entirely. Boo freakin hoo. 

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

And SMK will use the “old isn’t reliable” remark as long as it can’t be used against Mercedes. See how that works while you whine about “hypocrisy”. LMAO that you even went there. The fact is, and this has been pointed out my multiple people here, is that the average Lexus buyer isn’t as concerned about horsepower as much as they are reliability. You and SMK have sidestepped that little face throughout this whole thread while trying to pick apart everyone else or just move the bar entirely. Boo freakin hoo. 

Lexus (overall as a brand) makes the most reliable cars compared to any other brand.  They are the reliability champion, no one does it better.  That has little to do the dated ass engine in the GX, because the LS, LC, NX and RX Hybrid are reliable and they have newer engines.    The Avalon, errrr ES350 has a newer engine.   

And Lexus buyers DO care about fuel economy, as Toyota preaches fuel economy until the cows come home.  The GX460 has awful fuel economy, and the fact they haven't really updated GX since like 2003 other than some front facia revisions is embarrassing.  I gave Toyota the Finger of Shame for not making the Tundra more competitive, this is another Finger of Shame to Toyota for letting this monstrosity go on sale.  

And you probably think the GX460 is better than the XT6 because the GX is more reliable and has "V8 power."

22 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

“Fact” not “face”. Good grief autocorrect and fat thumbs lol! 

1 minute ago, smk4565 said:

Ever since the Passionate Pursuit of Perfection.

Not with that drivetrain...

But...ya'll gotta admit.  The average Lexus owner does not care about that stuff.

While the drivetrain is antiquated, the average Lexus owner believes in this mantra:  "If it aint broke, dont fix it."

Reliable?  I dont know enough about Toyota SUV products to comment on that.  But I do know that there are certain SUVs from Toyota that are bullet proof.  

Again...the same mantra goes for reliability regarding Lexus owners:  "If it aint broke, dont fix it."

So...while we can argue about passionately about Lexus products...their business model is passionless...and it works just fine for them.

What I find Lexus is missing the mark, is they want to infuse a little bit of passion in their designs and Predator Face just falls flat... 

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Lexus (overall as a brand) makes the most reliable cars compared to any other brand.  They are the reliability champion, no one does it better.  That has little to do the dated ass engine in the GX, because the LS, LC, NX and RX Hybrid are reliable and they have newer engines.    The Avalon, errrr ES350 has a newer engine.   

And Lexus buyers DO care about fuel economy, as Toyota preaches fuel economy until the cows come home.  The GX460 has awful fuel economy, and the fact they haven't really updated GX since like 2003 other than some front facia revisions is embarrassing.  I gave Toyota the Finger of Shame for not making the Tundra more competitive, this is another Finger of Shame to Toyota for letting this monstrosity go on sale.  

And you probably think the GX460 is better than the XT6 because the GX is more reliable and has "V8 power."

Yet you sidestepped that whole reliability part at the beginning with your “old isn’t reliable” remark which is what I pointed out from the get go. Only today have you actually acknowledged what everyone else already knew. 

And I don’t think anything in the slightest as far those two are concerned other than, once again, the GX is probably the more reliable of the two. Your assumptions here are unfounded nonsense. 

And, errrr, the GX shares its bones with the 4 Runner which explains why its doesn’t have a newer engine unlike the much newer CUVs mentioned. Duh. They did change the engine from the 4.7 to the 4.6 so you are not correct on your “since 2003” remark which means that they changed it about as often as Mercedes changed the G-Wagon. 

A some folks cry about hypocrisy. 

Edited by surreal1272

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

Yet you sidestepped that whole reliability part at the beginning with your “old isn’t reliable” remark which is what I pointed out from the get go. Only today have you actually acknowledged what everyone else already knew. 

And I don’t think anything in the slightest as far those two are concerned other than, once again, the GX is probably the more reliable of the two. Your assumptions here are unfounded nonsense. 

And, errrr, the GX shares its bones with the 4 Runner which explains why its doesn’t have a newer engine unlike the much newer CUVs mentioned. Duh. They did change the engine from the 4.7 to the 4.6 so you are not correct on your “since 2003” remark which means that they changed it about as often as Mercedes changed the G-Wagon. 

A some folks cry about hypocrisy. 

Old doesn't make it reliable.  How is a GX more reliable than an RX350 or ES350?

That 4.7 was from the 90s Tundra I think.  Even that 4.6 V8 was dated when it launched, it was among the least powerful V8s in the luxury segment in 2009 and 10 years later they are still making it.

The G-wagen used 3 V8's (not counting AMG) from 2006 to 2017.  That is why it made 302 hp in 2006 and 416 in 2016.And the G-wagen hit an all time sales record in 2016 and beat that record in 2017 and I believe is the #1 selling vehicle over $125,000.  When the Lexus GX has rising sales and is #1  selling vehicle over $50,000 then I will give them a pass on crap engines.

Yet the G-Wagon was the one that had mismatched screws on the auto show floor.Poor fit n finish, Yea, that is what I would expect from a $100,000 plus SUV. 🙄

I love how many people here mentioned "average Lexus owner"

I guess most people buying Lexus are looking for somewhat luxurious and reliable transportation with the an image that is at least somewhat a step up from the "common" brands.

But I have to say 99.9% of people I know buying the German big three, doing so ONLY because of the LOGO on the front of the car.  Most of them could care less, which wheel drive their car/crossover has, is it turbo four or six or eight cylinder, how much torque the engine has and at what RPM, etc.  They only care about the BADGE and the perceived STATUS.  And people who can't afford to buy these German brands but would like to, only desire to have the BADGE.

We can argue here for another 10 pages about engines and locking differentials but honestly 99% of people could care less.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ykX said:

I love how many people here mentioned "average Lexus owner"

I guess most people buying Lexus are looking for somewhat luxurious and reliable transportation with the an image that is at least somewhat a step up from the "common" brands.

But I have to say 99.9% of people I know buying the German big three, doing so ONLY because of the LOGO on the front of the car.  Most of them could care less, which wheel drive their car/crossover has, is it turbo four or six or eight cylinder, how much torque the engine has and at what RPM, etc.  They only care about the BADGE and the perceived STATUS.  And people who can't afford to buy these German brands but would like to, only desire to have the BADGE.

We can argue here for another 10 pages about engines and locking differentials but honestly 99% of people could care less.

All that you said above...is a big...

YUP!!!

The thing is...( warning: anecdote up ahead)

I too, talk to Toyoya/Lexus owners.

"Reliability" and how "reliable" their cars are ALWAYS comes up when they talk about their Toyotas and Lexuses. 

They almost always never talk about powertrain numbers, but how smooth and "reliable" their engines run.

They talk about how quiet Lexus cars are.  The driving wheels almost never comes up in the conversations. Most Quebec drivers are concerned not to get "stuck" in the winter (in the snow).  So Im guessing the Lexus salespeople push Lexus CUVs and AWD unto those folk...

When I talk to German car owners...

Engineering comes up.

Although some of them dont care about horsepower and torque and all that, most of them ARE knowledgeable and seem to want to have more of that then the next guy...

Its true, some of them dont know the difference between  AWD and 4 wheel drive.  But most of them DO want AWD instead of RWD so they do NOT get "stuck" in the winter.   German car owners, save for maybe the Audi folk, do know that RWD is standard on their cars. They are aware...

So...in MY experiences talking to different people,  most Quebecois are like Lexus owners, and are like you said

1 hour ago, ykX said:

But...

When talking to German car owners, in MY experience in Montreal, they are like you said...

1 hour ago, ykX said:

They only care about the BADGE and the perceived STATUS.  And people who can't afford to buy these German brands but would like to, only desire to have the BADGE.

However, they tend to be more knowledgeable and aware about different stats and they DO care about them. 

A cut above the rest being the enthusiast car owners. the Mustang, Corvette, and Camaro, Porsche, Tesla, AMG, M from BMW, S from Audi, Subaru, Mazda guys...etc.

Yes...Subaru and Mazda guys, in Quebec, are very keen about performance stats...

German car guys, for the most part,  (The AMG, M and S owners) DO want their cars to outperform the competition.

The 3 Series/5 Series, C Class/E Class Audi A3/A4  regular trimmed owners, and the CUV people from those makes even if those CUVs are AMG, M and S,  are clueless just like the 99% of the population...including the Lexus car owners. 

This is the difference between Lexus and Audi/Mercedes/BMW...is that with the German manufacturers, there is a subset of owners that are aware and are enthusiasts and horsepower and the latest tech IS important to them. 

Subaru guys are enthusiasts because of AWD.

Mazda guys are enthusiasts because Mazda cars ARE more fun to drive then the mundane appliances that GM/Ford/Honda/Toyota sell us...

THIS is my take on it... 

Edited by oldshurst442

@oldshurst442 Your experience differs from mine.  Everyone I know who owns German cars (except high performance versions) or desires one only care about the badge and the prestige.  Lexus is for people who want luxury, badge but still want to have reliability of their Camry they started with.

I think people that buy M and Audi's RS cars in majority are knowledgeable and enthusiastic, however from what I have seen majority of AMG owners buy AMG only because it is the most expensive and powerful Merc they can get, and most of them are pompous asses :)

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, dfelt said:

Yet the G-Wagon was the one that had mismatched screws on the auto show floor.Poor fit n finish, Yea, that is what I would expect from a $100,000 plus SUV. 🙄

People buying them obviously don't care just like GX owners don't care about anything about their vehicle, just reliability, apparently. 

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, ykX said:

@oldshurst442 Your experience differs from mine.  Everyone I know who owns German cars (except high performance versions) or desires one only care about the badge and the prestige.  Lexus is for people who want luxury, badge but still want to have reliability of their Camry they started with.

I think people that buy M and Audi's RS cars in majority are knowledgeable and enthusiastic, however from what I have seen majority of AMG owners buy AMG only because it is the most expensive and powerful Merc they can get, and most of them are pompous asses :)

I would have to agree that what you have experienced is what I have experienced. Only difference is that all the German performance fans seem to be pompous Asses and while knowledgeable to a point worry more about the badge and how people see them.

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

People buying them obviously don't care just like GX owners don't care about anything about their vehicle, just reliability, apparently. 

So True, the Kardashians could care less about anything of reality other than the Badge and if your looking at them and their big butt! :P 

kim kardashian my edit GIF

AMG and M have both been watered down by making them mid-level trim packages. 

Anyway, back to the GX.  I see this just and an "old money" purchase for people who just want another Lexus SUV that can go anywhere. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Random GX anecdote..a Swiss friend in Denver back in the mid 00s had an Envoy XL and his wife a GX as family trawlers...their kids were infants then.  The Envoy is long gone, they still have the GX with over 350k miles now.  (they now have teenagers, and have a late model Escalade and Volvo XC90 now). 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Random GX anecdote..a Swiss friend in Denver back in the mid 00s had an Envoy XL and his wife a GX as family trawlers...their kids were infants then.  The Envoy is long gone, they still have the GX with over 350k miles now.  (they now have teenagers, and have a late model Escalade and Volvo XC90 now). 

Some people don’t see that though. All they see is a SUV that uses an “ancient” powertrain and doesn’t get 30 MPGs everyday. They have a hard time fathoming that some folks actually don’t care as long their SUV is trouble free. 

Yeah who would have thought that reliability was such a big deal for some folks. I mean who wouldn’t want to have all the great new tech that ends up needing unnecessary service but $h! breaks. We are only talking about a formula that has worked for Toyota and Lexus for three decades now. 

Edited by surreal1272

36 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Some people don’t see that though. All they see is a SUV that uses an “ancient” powertrain and doesn’t get 30 MPGs everyday. They have a hard time fathoming that some folks actually don’t care as long their SUV is trouble free.  

I like reliability, but couldn't imagine 30 mpg with a SUV... I'm content getting 20 or 25 on a road trip. 

24 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I like reliability, but couldn't imagine 30 mpg with a SUV... I'm content getting 20 or 25 on a road trip. 

The “30 mpg” remark was meant as a joke because the way some have complained on here you’d think that was the new norm with CUVs and SUVs. 

34 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I guess everything new they're pumping out must be unreliable.. Lexus/Toyota couldn't possibly make a replacement as reliable. 

No ccap. It’s just not always necessary. What you also have not considered that clearly the GX is not a high priority right now for Lexus. Their core market clearly prefers car based CUVs. However, that does not take away from the fact that this ancient model is still very reliable and fills a certain niche even though it is butt ugly. The looks are clearly the big issue here because their sales are weak while it’s 4Runner platform twin still sells like hot cakes and it is running on a similar ancient powertrain (just in V6 form). Trying to sell at as an off-road champ hurts it as well but most Lexus buyers just aren’t into that kind of thing and those that are would probably just opt for a loaded and proven 4 Runner. This was made clear from the get go but you took it a completely different route while you so busy defending SMK. 

Edited by surreal1272

16 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

The “30 mpg” remark was meant as a joke because the way some have complained on here you’d think that was the new norm with CUVs and SUVs. 

Heh-heh..I haven't seen over 30 mpg in 30 years, since I drove a diesel Ford Escort that got 55 mpg.    20-25 is more than enough for me. 

5 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Why worry about buying new when https://cartoys.com/ can get you that backup camera, Android / Apple Play Radio system much cheaper than a new auto would cost.

I have the backup camera, but would like Android/Apple Play though.  

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Why worry about buying new when https://cartoys.com/ can get you that backup camera, Android / Apple Play Radio system much cheaper than a new auto would cost.

But but, that gas mileage! What about the gas mileage dfelt? It’s 2019!

LMAO!

2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Heh-heh..I haven't seen over 30 mpg in 30 years, since I drove a diesel Ford Escort that got 55 mpg.    20-25 is more than enough for me. 

I have the backup camera, but would like Android/Apple Play though.  

Yeah the last car I had with great MPGs was my first new car which was a ‘92 Tercel. Got mid 30s in town and about 45 mpg on the freeway. 

2 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

But but, that gas mileage! What about the gas mileage dfelt? It’s 2019!

LMAO!

If I worried about gas mileage, I would not own all SUV's that guzzle it!

Maybe my next new one will be an EV Cadillac if it is done right. Right now leaning towards Rivian.

• Agree 1