YOUR CAR ON WIKIPEDIA

my Aztek on WIKIPEDIA

GM forecast sales of up to 75,000 Azteks per year, and needed to produce 30,000 annually to break even. Just 27,322 were sold in 2001 with more than 50% being sold to captive rental company fleets or used by General Motors executives.

The styling of the Aztek was a source of great derision, to the extent that it was suggested that "Aztek" could become a replacement for "Edsel" as a synonym for failure in the modern lexicon.

Although not the complete flop that many people assume, the Aztek sales performance was certainly a major disappointment, and its failure in the marketplace has been cited as the most glaring example of the failings of GM President John Smale's now discredited "Brand Management" strategy of designing and marketing vehicles which was the guiding force in effect during the Aztek's gestation and initial marketing.

Somewhat ironically, the Aztek had among the highest CSI (Customer Satisfaction Index) scores in its class, and won the appellation of "Most Appealing Entry Sport Utility Vehicle" in 2001 from J.D. Power and Associates, an independent consumer survey organization who noted: "The Aztek scores highest or second highest in every APEAL component measure except exterior styling."

"in every APEAL component measure except exterior styling." LOL......... :duh::banghead:

Edited by regfootball

The Aztek was one of the first automobiles to ever be designed entirely using computerized rapid-prototyping/rapid-visualization tools. This is the main reason for its boxy shape; it didn't appear this boxy on a computer screen.

The dashboard was designed by NASA contractor Johnson Controls, and featured Pontiac's trademark red lighting scheme along with an optional heads-up display .

The Aztek was equipped with a fold-forward front passenger seat which helped maximize cargo-carrying capacity.

The Aztek was able to carry within its interior the proverbial 4'X 8' sheet of plywood, a common and useful task most of its SUV competitors were unable to perform.

In support of the Aztek's intended role as an accoutrement for a youthful, active lifestyle it offered a number of novel options/accessories, such as a center console that doubled as a removable cooler, a tent/inflatable mattress package that along with a built-in air compressor allowed the Aztek to double as an camper, seatback mounted backpacks, and a number of speciality racks for bicycles, canoes, snowboards and the like.

An optional 10 speaker Pioneer stereo system provided a set of controls located within the rear quarters of the vehicle for tail-gate parties as well as an unusual 2-piece tailgate with built-in cupholders designed to be used as a seating area during such activities.

The Aztek was also available with two rear cargo area options, a pull-out cargo tray that held up to 400 pounds that rolled on built in wheels when removed from the vehicle, or a versatile cargo net system that held up to 200 pounds and could be configured a claimed 22 different ways.

what are some interesting articles on WIKIPEDIA about your car?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_G6

The launch of the G6 was a major publicity stunt: 276 of the cars were famously given away to audience members of The Oprah Winfrey Show on the talk show's fall 2004 season premiere. This promotion garnered international attention, a reported US$110 million in publicity, and put the G6, a previously unknown name, solidly on the lists of many shoppers.

Although the G6 was new to the public, in many respects it could be considered the sixth generation of the Grand Am, although that name was retired. Within a year, this new car had become the 11th best selling car in the United States (2005), and won several consumer-based industry awards from JD Power (APEAL), Strategic Vision ("Total Quality" and "Delight") and became a Consumer Reports Recommended Buy. Car of the Year by the Spanish magazine Automundo [1][2]. Pontiac introduced a coupé convertible version of the G6 at the 2005 Los Angeles Auto Show. It is expected to go on sale in 2006 priced around US$30,000. The other bodystyles available are coupe and sedan (which incidentally looks similar in profile to the Mazda6).

I can't imagine they put the Oprah embarassment in... <_<

Production

Year Aztek

2001 27,322

2002 27,728

2003 26,928

2004 22,696

2005 *****

While the total production numbers would not seem to indicate that the re-styling of the Aztek helped sales, in actuality sales to private individuals did increase after the first model year and thereafter, which allowed GM to cut down on the low profit, brand value eroding rental fleet sales it relied on to keep the Aztek production line in operation initially.

FORD FIVE HUNDRED ON WIKIPEDIA

The Five Hundred was designed to provide large car interior volume with manageable outside dimensions, while delivering good fuel economy. Its design is also notably tall for a sedan, giving drivers an SUV or minivan-like command of the road. Its trunk, one of the largest on the market, can hold 8 fullsized loaded golf bags. The Five Hundred was first introduced at the 2004 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

Befitting its Volvo roots, the Five Hundred has garnered class leading results in crash tests conducted by the IIHS as well as NHTSA.

The Five Hundred began production on July 12, 2004 in Chicago, Illinois and became available to the public in September 2004. Although criticized by the automotive press for its bland styling (in comparison to that of its competitor Chrysler 300), the Five Hundred has been a relative success for Ford. It has captured 8.5% of the American large sedan market, above expectations, with just over 100,000 sold in 2005.

With the successful introduction of the bold-looking Fusion, with the bright three-bar chrome grille representing Ford's new styling direction, the Five Hundred has been fast-tracked for a facelift in 2007, with a similar updated design theme. The vehicle is also scheduled to receive the larger, more powerful 3.5 L Cyclone V6 with a six-speed 6F automatic transmission.[1]

FORD CYCLONE ENGINE

The Duratec 35 (code-name Cyclone) is a family of automobile engines from the Ford Motor Company. The first version, a 3.5 L V6, will appear in the Fall of 2006 and will be sold with the Duratec 35 name. Its displacement can be increased to 3.8 liters, meaning a Duratec 38 could come soon after. Mazda calls its version of the Cyclone the MZI.

The Cyclone is an all-aluminum engine based on the Lincoln/Jaguar Duratec 30 DAMB, and includes variable cam timing on the intake side, a feature already found on the Jaguar AJ30 and Mazda AJ versions of the 3.0.

The new heads relocate all accessory drives to the front of the engine with a flush chain drive. Unlike the current Duratec 30 used in most North American Ford application, this engine features direct acting mechanical buckets with shims valve actuation instead of roller finger followers with hydraulic lash adjusters. The new combustion chambers are reshaped as well.

Gasoline direct injection and turbocharging can be added later. A dual-stage variable length intake manifold, centrally-located sparkplugs, and a 10.3:1 compression ratio are other features. The Duratec 35 is ULEV-II compliant and is said to be capable of meeting the PZEV requirement as well.

Official SAE certified engine output is 265 hp (198 kW) and 250 ft·lbf (339 N·m) on 87 octane gas, but could reach 300 hp (224 kW) once planned features like gasoline direct injection are added. This is a substantial upgrade in power from the Duratec 30, and bests all competitive engines except the newest version of Nissan's VQ35DE and Toyota's 2GR-FE[1].

The engine is the same exterior size as the Duratec 30, and should be usable in all vehicles currently using that engine and its derivatives. The company expects the engine to be used in one fifth of all Ford products by the end of the decade. Production begins in 2006. The Duratec 35 will replace the Duratec 30 in some applications (notably the Ford Five Hundred) by the end of that year, but the Duratec 30 will continue in production.

The Duratec 35 displaces 3.5 L (3496 cc/213 in³) with a 92.5 mm (3.6 in) bore and 86.7 mm (3.4 in) stroke. The aluminum block is made by Teksid in Alabama, while the heads come from Nemak in Mexico, and the crankshaft comes from Bharat Forge of India. The engine will be assembled at Lima Engine in Lima, Ohio, with expansion planned in Cleveland Engine Plant #1.

Applications:

265 hp (198 kW) at 6250 rpm and 250 ft·lbf (339 N·m) at 4500 rpm

2007 Ford Edge

2007 Lincoln MKX

263 hp (196 kW) at 6250 rpm and 249 ft·lbf (338 N·m) at 4500 rpm

2007 Lincoln MKZ

Unknown

2007 Mazda CX-9 ("MZI")

Ford Mustang

Lincoln LS

Jaguar S-Type

[edit]

See also

Ford Duratec engine

List of Ford engines

GM announced on February 8, 2005 that it would drop the Bonneville from Pontiac's lineup for 2006. With more than half of Pontiac dealers also selling Buick models, the new Buick Lucerne will remain as GM's only non-luxury large car.

Lucerne non-luxury? Also implying the Bonneville and everything else on G was non-luxury?

do the Bonneville and Lucerne classify as 'near-lux' these days?

They have all the requisites, from powertrain to feature content to safety to quality. I don't see how they wouldn't.

Something like a Caprice or a Bonneville SE/LeSabre Custom/Lucerne CX would probably be simply a large car, but the more well-equipped models out-feature and outperform the "near-lux" autos of their time.

do the Bonneville and Lucerne classify as 'near-lux' these days?

True luxury requires RWD. :AH-HA_wink:

Like my old Sig. said about my 1984 Datsun... it's 3% GM. :)

The power steering pump was sourced from General Motors'

Saginaw Gear division.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datsun_810

In the film 1980 film Gloria, an 810 was seen as a getaway vehicle after Gena Rowlands murders four hitmen.

Wow... I'll have to rent that movie soon.

Posted Image

This is what I found on the Wiki:

he Chevrolet S-10 (and similar GMC S-15 and Sonoma) was a compact pickup truck from the GMC marquee of General Motors. When first introduced in 1982, the GMC version was known as the S-15. A high-performance version was the GMC Syclone. The truck was also sold by Isuzu as the Hombre from 1996 through 2000. There was also an SUV version, the Chevrolet S-10 Blazer/GMC S-15 Jimmy. Together, these trucks are often referred to as the S-series.

The S-series was replaced by new models, the Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon, and Isuzu i-Series, in 2004.

:( That they quit making them. I dont care what anyone says about em, I'm on my second S-10 and both were/are great vehicles. My 91 Outlasted several of my friends Rangers, Nissans, and Toyotas trucks they had that were about the same age. I still see my old 91 running around town every now and then.

My 03 Xtreme has been solid so far and I love my truck. I've always had good luck with S-10's and I worked my 91 hard on the farm and I use my 03 now a ton here at work too, althought not has hard of work as the 91 saw.

Edited by Brandon Lutz

Agreed Lutz... I loved my 1991 S10 Blazer.

4.3 + 5-speed on the floor = fun to drive. :D

The Pontiac GTO was an automobile built by Pontiac from 1964 to 1974. It is often considered the first true muscle car. From 1964 until 1973 it was closely related to the Pontiac Tempest, but for its final year it was based on the Pontiac Ventura. The nameplate was revived in 2004, based this time on the Australian Holden Monaro.

The Pontiac GTO was relaunched in the United States in late 2003, based on the Holden Monaro's Omega-derived platform. The revival was prompted by former GM chairman Bob Lutz, who drove a Holden Monaro while on a business trip in Australia. The GTO is produced in the suburb of Elizabeth South Australia, and is equipped with the Chevrolet Corvette's LS1 ('04) and LS2 ('05-'06) V8 engine with a choice of a 6-speed manual transmission or a 4-speed automatic. The same model is sold in the United Kingdom as a Vauxhall and in the Middle East as a Chevrolet Lumina SS. GM North America struck a deal with Holden for them to produce a maximum of 18,000 vehicles per year starting in late 2003 and going through to the end of the 2006 model year. 18,000 is the production limit at the Australian assembly plant. There is no truth to the rumor that the limit is a limit agreed upon between GM and the UAW as to how many vehicles GM can import on a yearly basis.

Despite high expectations by GM to sell 18,000 GTO's, the new GTO received a luke warm reception in the U.S. It was frequently derided for its bland styling, which many critics felt was too anonymous to befit either the GTO heritage or the current car's performance. Aside from the "rental car" styling, GTO faithfuls were further insulted by GM's total lack of effort put forth in redesigning the American performance icon, which consisted of nothing more than simply rebadging the Monaro and using the existing sheet metal. It was also overshadowed by the more flamboyantly styled Chrysler 300 sedan, which offers rear-drive, V8 performance, and the new Ford Mustang. It was also derided for being built in Australia. Sales were also limited due to dealer tactics. Due to anticipated demand, dealers were initially charging large markups and denying requests for test drives. By the end of the year, the 2004s were selling with significant discounts from MSRP. Sales were 13,569 of 15,728 cars for 2004.

The 2005 model year continued with the addition of hood scoops, split rear exhaust, and optional 18" rims. The major change for 2005 was the replacement of the LS1 engine. The new engine offered is the LS2 engine. This increased power and torque in the GTO to 298 kW (400 hp) and 542 N·m (400 ft·lb). A special version of this vehicle is used for drifting. Nonetheless, sales dropped to 11,590, primarily due to a shortened model year.

For 2006 two additional colors were added to the line up, Spice Red Metallic and Brazen Orange Metallic, while Midnight Blue Metallic and Yellowjacket was dropped, also added to 2006 are revised blacked-out tail lamps and illuminated steering wheel radio controls.

On February 21, 2006, General Motors reportedly told dealers that it would halt imports of the GTO in September, making 2006 the last model year for the current GTO generation.

I skipped all the old years if you didn't notice.

Like a manager told me at the dealership I might work for, if the GTO was called something other than 'GTO' it would have done a lot better.

The Chevrolet Monte Carlo is an American mid-size car. Originally introduced by Chevrolet for the 1970 model year (as competition with the Ford Thunderbird), it has gone through six generations to date. All Monte Carlos to date have been two-door coupes, closely based on a contemporary mid-sized sedan.

From its inception, the Monte Carlo also has been one of GM's biggest successes on the NASCAR stock car racing circuit

Sixth generation

2000-2005

For 2000, Chevrolet not only again called upon GM Motorsports for design inspiration, but also to Monte Carlos of the past. Among the traits carried over from older Monte Carlos were the stylized wheel flares, vertically-oriented taillamps, and a stylized rear bumper. Another classic trait for 2000 was the return of the "Knight" badging, not seen on the Monte Carlo since 1988. From the NASCAR circuit came the aerodynamic styling and duck tail spoiler as well as myriad commemorative and special edition packages.

Models

Trim levels consisted of the LS and SS, the latter being the first front-wheel drive SS in the Chevrolet lineup. The former used a 3.4 L OHV V6, while the latter got the 3.8 L V6. A supercharged SS model was added for 2004 and 2005, though the naturally-aspirated SS continued as well.

i would also like to point out that at the bottom... where it shows the cars that chevy produces... wikipedia alreay has the camaro slated for 2008 release... but then again... it is wikipedia an not exactly the most reliable source ever

Agreed Lutz... I loved my 1991 S10 Blazer.

4.3 + 5-speed on the floor = fun to drive. :D

Thats what I got now. The 91 was the 2.8 with the 5 spd. Not by any means fast or sporty, but damnit, I had fun in that truck :) That truck was pretty nice for what it was. Tahoe interior package. I purposely bought the truck with the 5 spd in it used from a local detective. Apparently his son didnt want to pull his weight around the house so his dad sold the truck. Poor bastard missed out on a great vehicle but I didnt :)

Here's the Wikipedia article on my daily driver..some interesting factoids..I didn't know about the Porsche connection.

I've sat in an '04 Overland before..they are pretty sweet...one of those would make a nice replacement for my '00 Laredo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The redesigned WJ 1999 Grand Cherokee shared just 127 parts with its predecessor. The structure was stiffened by Porsche Engineering for sharper steering and lighter weight. The spare tire was relocated from the side of the cargo compartment to under the floor to great relief of owners. The two heavy pushrod V8 engines were replaced by a single aluminum SOHC unit, Chrysler's then-new PowerTech. Although this engine produced less torque than both previous V8s, it was lighter and got much better fuel economy.

While other Jeep vehicles used the Mopar 5 x 4.5 bolt circle, this was the first Mopar to receive a wider bolt pattern - 5 x 5. The 5 x 5 bolt pattern (also 5 x 127mm), although common to GM rear wheel drive vehicles and light duty trucks/vans, has spread beyond its use with GM (and Ford] with their 1973 to 1978 LTDs and Lincolns).

A notable feature that was available this generation was the automatic four wheel drive option called Quadra-Drive. With three viscous clutches, it was the only truck all wheel drive system at the time with triple differentals, as Toyota had removed the front locker from their Land Cruiser.

The 45RFE automatic transmission in the WJ was notable. It included 3 planetary gearsets rather than the two normally used in a 4-speed automatic. This gave it six theoretical speeds, and it would have been the first six-speed transmission ever produced in volume, but it was programmed to only use five of these ratios. Four were used for upshifts, with a different second gear for downshifts. Although five of the six ratios were used, Chrysler decided to call it a "4-speed automatic".

[edit]

Models

The Laredo and luxurious Limited trim levels were standard models.

Specialty models:

* 2002–2003 — Sport

* 2002–2004 — Special Edition

* 2002–2004 — Overland

These specialty models appeared for a brief time, The Sport was slightly more equipped than the Laredo and offered a two-tone black trim interior for style. The Special Edition was introduced offering the same quality of the Limited, differences include 4.7 L V8 engine and slightly revised front grille were standard issue on the Special Edition. The Overland (appropriated after the former Jeep parent, Willys-Overland) was the top-of-the-line level, boasting the 4.7 L H.O. V8 as well as a wealth of standard features such as front and side-curtain airbags, an Infinity sound system with 10-disc changer, heated/power front seats, integrated rock rails, power sunroof, wood/leather steering wheel and 17 in alloy wheels.

[edit]

Engines

Years Displacement Engine Power Torque Notes

1998–2004 4.0 L Power Tech I6 195 hp (145 kW)

1998–2004 4.7 L PowerTech V8 235 hp (175 kW)

2002–2004 4.7 L High Output PowerTech V8 265 hp (198 kW)