Thomas Friedman:GM Most Destructive Company In USA

You know, Thomas Friedman is one of the more moderate writers at the NYT and what he writes usually is sensible and presents both sides of the story. But today he penned the most hysterical anti-GM editorial which has appeared in newspapers across the country. He says that GM is the most destructive company in America. He says that GM makes SUVs that consume lots of oil and send money to the Middle East. He said that GM's new plan to subsidize gasoline will send even more money to the Middle East and result in many Americans being killed. He has called for GM to be taken over by Toyota for the safety of the country.

The whole thing was foaming-at-the-mouth hysterical. It's something you'd expect from a left-wing nutjob like Michael Moore. But I guess Friedman has showed his true colors.

This is right-wing hysteria, not left-wing hysteria. Micheal Moore would never say anything like this.

The whole "keep it in the country" thing is generally a Republican / right-wing sentiment.

:nono:

He's not calling for keeping it in the country, he's calling for Americans to buy Toyotas and a foreign company to make America's greatest industrial company its bitch. That and he throws in a lot of cliched, "NO BLOOD FOR OIL!!" type liberal ranting. I don't think Thomas Friedman will ever be confused for a Republican or any kind of conservative.

Also keep in mind that we spend more money on imported cars and car parts than we spend on imported oil. So if we "want to keep it in the country" to me it would make more sense to encourage folks to buy more American cars, because we're spending about 2-3 times as much on Japanese and German cars as we do on Middle Eastern oil.

Edited by Shantanu

What a fu$king moron. I hope he gets rear ended by a

FJ Cruiser, GX430 or Sequoia and his neck breaks like

a thin dry twig.

Okay, that's harsh... I hope the airbag in his Prius is

what snaps his neck in two. :AH-HA_wink:

You know, Thomas Friedman is one of the more moderate writers at the NYT and what he writes usually is sensible and presents both sides of the story.  But today he penned the most hysterical anti-GM editorial which has appeared in newspapers across the country.  He says that GM is the most destructive company in America.  He says that GM makes SUVs that consume lots of oil and send money to the Middle East.  He said that GM's new plan to subsidize gasoline will send even more money to the Middle East and result in many Americans being killed.  He has called for GM to be taken over by Toyota for the safety of the country.

The whole thing was foaming-at-the-mouth hysterical.  It's something you'd expect from a left-wing nutjob like Michael Moore.  But I guess Friedman has showed his true colors.

What about Wal-Mart? They employ half of China, which is turning into a cesspool. All that pollution should melt an ice cap or two on it's own. :pbjtime:

Mr. Friedman response requested.

Edited by longtooth

Liberal or conservative.. doesn't matter. This guy is a whacko and needs to keep his mouth shut so people won't know how crazy he is.

I'm all for freedom of speech but when you attack one company for the faults of the entire automobile industry.. it's obvious you have some brain cells missing my friend.

Do GM, and the whole country a favor, and please don't buy any NY Times. Also don't buy any papers that run drivel published by this moron Friedman.

It seems to me that save America, we need to be putting uninformed bigots like him out of business, before their propaganda causes real damage.

Edited by Shantanu

I watched a debate on public television last night about what Ontario is going to do about electricity generation. In twenty years, Ontario has gone from a huge surplus generator, to having to import hydro from Ohio, Quebec, etc. As expected, the greenies whined and moaned that we could see "40%" reduction in useage by cutting back use. FOURTY F**KING PERCENT??? WTF? Do we sit in the dark?

What these enviro-nazis don't get is that what ever the HELL we do in North America to help the environment will mean diddly-sh*t when China's 1.2 billion people all decide to buy cars and lawnmowers! Or what about India's 1.1 billion people?

As much as I do believe that we should be doing our bit for the environment and for saving oil consumption, I am sick of being made to feel guilty for living in a rich country that we busted our humps to make a better place to live in.

Most Western countries actually have NEGATIVE birth rates, if you take out immigration. China and India - infact, most of Asia, have birth rates in th 4-6% rate.

Why isn't the New YOrk Times bitching about that? Oh, I forgot, that doesn't fit into their bleeding heart liberal ideals.

i was glad to see the fast lane response and hope they do more to assert their postion. they have nothing to lose.

as for the NYtimes...id rather read the post or daily news...i know what i get from them. the times has been losing for credibility and respect for a while now, probably since it came to light that one reporter made up his articles. unbelievable, ive never read anything like this and understand its opinion but sh*t

whoever let it go to press should be horsewhipped.

I wouldn't worry too much about this. I'm sure plenty of his readers will rebut his argument. Although they may seem hard to find, there are plenty of sensible people from both the right and left. Even the "latte" set with their domestic and import SUV's will likely take offence to this article.

This guy will likely have to "clarify" his position in due time...

P.S....

Has Friedman by any chance heard of DOW chemical?... From what I've read and seen, THAT is one hell of a destructive company.