Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

GMC News: GMC Canyon AT4 Coming for 2020

There's not much to show of it, but GMC announce that the GMC Canyon AT4 would be coming in early 2020 at an event in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.  The AT4 package is a ruggedized look that falls between the SLT and Denali in GMC's lineup. Right now, AT4 is only available on the GMC Sierra 1500, Sierra HD, and the 2020 GMC Acadia.  On the Acadia, the AT4 package is simply an appearance package. On the Sierra, it actually adds a 2-inch lift kit in and red recovery hooks.

GMC has promised that every vehicle in the lineup will get an AT4 package (though we doubt that is true for the Savana), leaving the Terrain, Canyon, and Yukon as the holdouts.  

The AT4 package on the Canyon is interesting because GMC already offers the All-Terrain package which adds an off-road suspension, transfer case shield, hill descent control, and all-terrain tires among the visual updates. For 2020, the All-Terrain package will be dropped and replaced with AT4.  The Chevy Colorado offers an off-road version in the ZR2 trim, but there is no equivalent for the GMC.  It could be that GMC is planning the AT4 to be more than the current All-Terrain, but not quite to the level of a ZR2.

View full article

Why a version of this wasn't out when the ZR2 came out, blows my mind. 

What I would do with these twins is;

Colorado would get the street treatment(Syclone would be an appropriate name) and it would be a little hot rod and the Canyon would get the off road treatment and make it the ZR2(name it whatever you want).

You get two high-margin trucks and they wouldn't compete with each other for sales.

• Agree 3

47 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Why a version of this wasn't out when the ZR2 came out, blows my mind. 

What I would do with these twins is;

Colorado would get the street treatment(Syclone would be an appropriate name) and it would be a little hot rod and the Canyon would get the off road treatment and make it the ZR2(name it whatever you want).

You get two high-margin trucks and they wouldn't compete with each other for sales.

Plus 1,000,000 we all seem to understand this, I wonder why GM cannot get it? 🙄

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Plus 1,000,000 we all seem to understand this, I wonder why GM cannot get it? 🙄

They don't have to go nuts with the Syclone but give it a little more power, lower it a bit, and give it some bigger/wider wheels and tires and that would probably be good enough. It doesn't have to be a crazy 450hp truck. If they used the 2.7T they have in-house, they could give it a mild tune and make something like 350hp/400tq and be good. 

• Agree 2

Will be inneresting to see if they keep the same off-road equipment and just switch the nameplates from All-Terrain to AT4.  If that is the case, it will tell us loud and clear how committed GMC is to the AT4 sub brand.  Let's be honest, their commitment to the Denali sub brand has been cynical in some cases.

Edited by ocnblu

14 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Will be inneresting to see if they keep the same off-road equipment and just switch the nameplates from All-Terrain to AT4.  If that is the case, it will tell us loud and clear how committed GMC is to the AT4 sub brand.  Let's be honest, their commitment to the Denali sub brand has been cynical in some cases.

Indeed.. sometimes Denali is just some extra chrome and embroidery.  I don't think it needs the full ZR2 treatment, but at least everything on All-Terrain plus a little lift kit and some recovery hooks.  I wonder what they'll do for Yukon.  I can't see them lifting that.  Terrain I expect to be just a sticker and blackout package. 

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I wonder what they'll do for Yukon.  I can't see them lifting that. 

It'll probably be like the FX4 Expedition where they get tires, off-road tuned shocks, skid plates, and a locking rear diff with a low range transfer case(if it doesn't already have it). 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It'll probably be like the FX4 Expedition where they get tires, off-road tuned shocks, skid plates, and a locking rear diff with a low range transfer case(if it doesn't already have it). 

It has it on the heavy duty trailering package. 

• Thanks 2

Well it looks like, according to the GMC-provided teaser photo, the Canyon will receive a miniature facelift for the 2021 model year.  It also sounds like the 2020 model year will be a short one for Colorado/Canyon, which is what I suspected when I read the order guide on the 2020 models.  The Canyon AT4 will be designated a 2021 model.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Off road is cool.....but I miss the sport trucks.

Love the idea of some fast trucks.....

GMC needs to bring back the Syclone AWD. As @ccap41 stated above, not a hard thing to do, just will GMC do it?

• Agree 2

Like the new Ranger, the Colorado/Canyon were designed to be "high riders".  If anyone has noticed, the 2WD versions of these trucks ride as high as the 4WD (non ZR2) versions.  Hence no ZQ8 Colorado, the chassis isn't set up for easy lowering.

• Thanks 1

I can't imagine it is that difficult to lower them 2 inches. They don't need to be slammed or anything, just a more athletic stance. 

This is dropped 3" front and 4" back. The owner said the caster is the only alighment item that wasn't to spec but it was "very close". 

I think 2"-3" would be doable from the factory without issue, but this isn't coming from a Colorado engineer.

Lowered Colorado.jpg

• Agree 2

33 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I can't imagine it is that difficult to lower them 2 inches. They don't need to be slammed or anything, just a more athletic stance. 

This is dropped 3" front and 4" back. The owner said the caster is the only alighment item that wasn't to spec but it was "very close". 

I think 2"-3" would be doable from the factory without issue, but this isn't coming from a Colorado engineer.

Lowered Colorado.jpg

This is one thing I understand that some like a lowered truck, but if you do it, then why not remove the side steps and that front dam as it now looks like it would get hung up on parking lot speed bumps.

Missed taking a photo, but saw a new ranger next to a new Gladiator next to a 1 to 2 year old Colorado and have to say, the Ford just does not hold up next to the Jeep or GM mid size pickups. Yes, GM needs to update that interior now, but the exterior looks way better than the ford.

39 minutes ago, dfelt said:

This is one thing I understand that some like a lowered truck, but if you do it, then why not remove the side steps and that front dam as it now looks like it would get hung up on parking lot speed bumps.

Missed taking a photo, but saw a new ranger next to a new Gladiator next to a 1 to 2 year old Colorado and have to say, the Ford just does not hold up next to the Jeep or GM mid size pickups. Yes, GM needs to update that interior now, but the exterior looks way better than the ford.

This exact example(I read through the forum page) is a 70 year old man and his wife so I believe it was done for ease of getting in and out of the vehicle for the two of them. 

Yep, the Ranger just doesn't look very good outside of like one trim and it gives off a tall and skinny vibe. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Lowered Colorado.jpg

I saw a Canyon lowered just enough (a little over 2 inches) and it looked pretty good. That truck reminded me of the old S-10/Sonoma sport package back in the late 90s/early 00s. I figure with better hanging and a nice set of wheels- it would be a very sharp truck. I really think there are a lot of folks out there that still want a truck but will never take it off road, but still want some fun too..... 🙂 

• Agree 2

On another site, they posted an article stating that GM has filed with the Patents and Trademark Office the RPO code ZRX for the GMC Canyon. Maybe a RWD sport truck is on the way for 2021?