Drew Dowdell

Lamborghini Unveils 808 Horsepower Hybrid

Lamborghini has pulled the sheet off their first hybrid in the for of the Lamborghini Siån ahead of the Frankfurt International Auto Show. The 808-Horsepower hyper-car take the V-12 from the Aventador SVJ and uprates it to 774 horsepower. Then the addition of a 48-volt electric motor adds an additional 34 horsepower.  The motor is located in the gearbox and can be used for low speed parking maneuvers.  The regenerative braking sends power to a supercapacitor unit during deceleration which then supplies a power boost to the car at speeds up to 81 mph.  

The electric motor also smooths out the acceleration curve, working during gear changes it smooths out the shift points. This allows the car to gain a 43-75 mph time 1.2 seconds faster than the Aventador SVJ.

As far as design, the Siån is very futuristic and aggressive. The large air intakes increase downforce.

Only 63 Siåns will be built and all of them have already been sold. So if you didn't get your deposit in already, you're too late. 

View full article

That is one interesting angular mess of a car.

I do like the look of the interior though.

I like the exterior color and the interior color....styling is just another sharply angled violent cartoon car...

• Upvote 1

Only 808 hp, not much of a hyper car.   They should come back when they get 1,000 hp.

808 HP? Clearly benchmarking Dodge.

And BTW- who times a car going from 43 MPH to 75 MPH - is this a brand new metric I've not heard of?

42 minutes ago, balthazar said:

And BTW- who times a car going from 43 MPH to 75 MPH - is this a brand new metric I've not heard of?

Not familiar with it, but it makes sense as a real world freeway on-ramp acceleration or passing measurement ....more useful than 0-60.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

808 HP? Clearly benchmarking Dodge.

I have been reading that many auto sites are now looking at Benchmark Sprints with distance covered as a more reliable test since even a V6 Camry can haul ass off the line now. I honestly agree it is time to retire the 0 to 60 quote of performance.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/05/zero-to-irrelevant-in-sixty-years-its-time-to-change-the-performance-benchmark/

To Quote:

It’s time to replace the 0-60 test with something that is actually relevant to modern American motoring. The quarter-mile, as wonderful as it is, really does exceed what’s safe and sane. I suggest eighty miles per hour as a good compromise. With the possible exception of I-94 in Chicago and 495 in northern Virginia, if you can accelerate to eighty miles per hour you’re going to be good to merge.

I would also suggest that, in lieu to time, we substitute distance. How much room does a car need to get to eighty? That’s the most relevant power statistic we can provide the American motorist.

I will say I love all the new Vehicle Benchmarking that is being created.

https://www.avl.com/vehicle-benchmarking

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• I doubt anyone is achieving 75 MPH in the on-ramp.
• Everyone can gauge speed because every vehicle on the road has a speedometer. But ask someone driving at any given static or advancing speed how many feet they've covered??

No; 0-60 is going to remain the standard. Every vehicle can execute a 0-60 run, so it's a universal comparison. "0-80 in 312 feet" is intangible.

Of course; braking in feet makes sense. 

Edited by balthazar

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

Merge speed on some freeways...

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Heck, most V6es can to that.  But I understand your viewpoint is from the shorty onramps that NJ has. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Heck, most V6es can to that.  But I understand your viewpoint is from the shorty onramps that NJ has. 

Or their crazy Jug Handles. 🙄

17 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Yeah, I frequently get my Jeep to 75-80 or more at the merge point when entering traffic on Ohio freeways..was harder to do in Phoenix w/ the metered ramps--there 0-60 is more important. (or some freeway entrances in CA--0-30 with the gridlock and super short ramps).

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By Drew Dowdell
      Lamborghini has pulled the sheet off their first hybrid in the for of the Lamborghini Siån ahead of the Frankfurt International Auto Show. The 808-Horsepower hyper-car take the V-12 from the Aventador SVJ and uprates it to 774 horsepower. Then the addition of a 48-volt electric motor adds an additional 34 horsepower.  The motor is located in the gearbox and can be used for low speed parking maneuvers.  The regenerative braking sends power to a supercapacitor unit during deceleration which then supplies a power boost to the car at speeds up to 81 mph.  
      The electric motor also smooths out the acceleration curve, working during gear changes it smooths out the shift points. This allows the car to gain a 43-75 mph time 1.2 seconds faster than the Aventador SVJ.
      As far as design, the Siån is very futuristic and aggressive. The large air intakes increase downforce.
      Only 63 Siåns will be built and all of them have already been sold. So if you didn't get your deposit in already, you're too late. 

• By William Maley
      Lamborghini has been toying with the idea of electrification for some time. It would allow them to meet stricter emission regulations while retaining their naturally aspirated engines. Their CEO has made it official, the replacement for the Aventador will have electrification.
      "The next Aventador will be hybrid, with a V12. A decision is made on that and this is something that will keep us different from the others and this is very important," said Stefano Domenicali to Auto Express.
      In addition, the replacement for the Huracan will go down the electrification route by retaining the V10  and adding an electric motor. We got a hint of this back in March during a interview Maurizio Reggiani, Lamborghini's chief technical officer.
      The Urus will be the first Lamborghini to be electrified when the plug-in hybrid model launches towards the end of this decade, followed by the Aventador replacement a few years after.
      Source: Auto Express
    • By William Maley
      Lamborghini has been toying with the idea of electrification for some time. It would allow them to meet stricter emission regulations while retaining their naturally aspirated engines. Their CEO has made it official, the replacement for the Aventador will have electrification.
      "The next Aventador will be hybrid, with a V12. A decision is made on that and this is something that will keep us different from the others and this is very important," said Stefano Domenicali to Auto Express.
      In addition, the replacement for the Huracan will go down the electrification route by retaining the V10  and adding an electric motor. We got a hint of this back in March during a interview Maurizio Reggiani, Lamborghini's chief technical officer.
      The Urus will be the first Lamborghini to be electrified when the plug-in hybrid model launches towards the end of this decade, followed by the Aventador replacement a few years after.
      Source: Auto Express

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Lamborghini's model lineup will grow by one when the Urus goes on sale later this year. But the Italian sports car builder is considering adding another model to their lineup, not anytime soon though.
      “I think that first of all we need to consider where we were a couple of years ago. We were selling 1000 cars. It [current levels] is a big step. We’re going to do another step [with Urus], so we need to be prudent," said Lamborghini CEO Stefano Domenicali to Motoring.
      “For sure, as soon as we have stabilised the growth, in a very methodical way, what we can see is that we’re going to think of introducing another model … but in the second part [of the next decade] – 2025 to 2030 — in that range. Not before. It would be wrong,”
      As to what the fourth model could be, Domenicali said they are still in talks.
      “Still discussing… Still discussing… Still under discussion. We see a lot of competitors attacking for the lower side of it… But we still have the time to discuss. And to make sure that we are once again different from the others.”
      If we were to guess right now, our money would be on a smaller SUV or a sedan.
      Source: Motoring

View full article
    • By William Maley
      We are still a few years out before Lamborghini introduces a successor to the Huracán, but it still will retain a V10 engine.
      “I think in the field where the Huracán is, the effect of having two cylinders more than all the other competitors will be a big difference,” said Maurizio Reggiani, Lamborghini's chief technical officer to Car and Driver.
      “When we made the Gallardo with the first V-10, people thought we were crazy because of packaging, the weight, the cost, everything. And it was a storming success. For me I need to say thanks to the Gallardo engine, and it is clear that this is part of my vision for the DNA of the super-sports-car field of Lamborghini.”
      Reggiani said he's determined to keep naturally aspirated engines in Lamborghini's supercars, unlike most competitors that are turning to turbocharging.
      “My question is, why do I need to do something different? If I trust in the naturally aspirated engine, why do I need to downgrade my powertrain to a V-8 or V-6? I am Lamborghini, I am the top of the pinnacle of the super sports car. I want to stay where I am,” said Reggiani.
      He does say that the Huracán's replacement with some sort of electrification to stronger regulations.
      “Afterward, I need some support [to meet regulatory demands], but the emotion is sound, and the reaction you have in a 10-cylinder engine you cannot have from any other kind. This is what our customers love.”
      Reggiani also revealed the Huracán successor would continue to offer a rear-wheel drive.
      Source: Car and Driver

View full article
  • Recent Status Updates

• Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook