DRIVEN: 2019 Ford Edge ST AWD 2.7t

DRIVEN: 2019 Ford Edge ST AWD 2.7t

Prior Ford Edge Titianium review here for comparison

https://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/topic/85019-2015-ford-edge-titanium-awd-20/

HIGHS:

Lots of room, front and back, the Edge is cavernous

'Grand Touring' ride (for a crossover).  That is to say, comfortable.

2.7 it strong once it spools up.  EPA ratings are quite good for the 2.7t.

Nice commanding view of road and good overall visibility, which is getting more rare in crossovers.

Nice looking wheels.

Power adjustable steering column!  Love that feature.....

Big discounts on these right now, you get a lot for your money with the ST at these discounted prices.

LOWS:

Design was new in 2015, it's already getting overly familiar (aka, dated?)

I don't really think there is a ton of actual sport here to be honest, in the steering and handling.

Plus, the vehicle is heavy and it sort of feels heavy

HAs the overall Ford 'cobbled together' feel.....Fords are getting more and more like that all the time it seems....

Interior design gets a rap, and I think the design is maybe ok but the plastics are a bit lacking in this upper trim IMO, and the touchscreen and climate controls seems sort of cheap.

I think there will be those out there that like the bolstered seats, they are done ok, but I am as i get older and wider less and less a fan of bolstered seats from a comfort perspective.

I accuse the v6 of having some turbo lag.....you have to wait too long for it to spool up, IMO....maybe its the transmission.

Most folks, I think, will feel more at home in a well loaded SEL or Titanium with the turbo four, I hate to say.  Makes me question the need for a sporting crossover segment.  Do you maybe want a Nautilus or Grand Cherokee instead?

Car and Driver may have had it right.....they chose the Blazer over the Edge 4 cylinder....and I think some folks may pick the Blazer over the Edge overall.

Almost feels like you are riding in an F150 without the pickup bed.....you're owning the road......

SUMMARY:

Not a bad rig, and nice power and lots of creature comforts.  Lots of space and utility but,

It has a Ford cobbled together / throwaway feel and feels heavy and not always as sporty as the look advertises.  Drive one yourself to judge, and then decide if you want one for sporty driving or if you just want a crossover with top of the line trim and the biggest engine. It's your call,

Edited by regfootball

On 9/16/2019 at 4:18 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

The interiors of these things just feel ooooold to me. I want to like the package, but it go out dated quickly. 

Yeah, you know I went and drove the Blazer again and even though the Blazer is not style central, it just made think how dated the Edge was.  And so reading the comparison articles where they tested the Blazer vs. the 4 cyl Edge and they basically said the Edge felt dated, and so I think those articles are accurate.  The Blazer just feels more contemporary.  I think Ford has spent all their engineering money on trucks and mustangs, they just spit out whatever they can for their crossovers.

Edited by regfootball
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

"Has the overall Ford 'cobbled together' feel.....Fords are getting more and more like that all the time it seems...."

GREAT point. I know what you mean, lately. It's not just the interior plastics...it's not just the build...it's an overall "this is kinda like a piece meal, spare parts protoype" feel.

Last F-150 XLT rental I was in was quiet, but rode terribly, had pieces coming apart like the interior pillars not fitting & falling off. Plebian & the antithesis of convincing. Mustang I had was incredible...unless seats or interior comfort are important to you. Awful seating...and those Ford Sync radios...dot matrix white & gray coding vibe.

Edge...great deal, and still popular. But not the freshest. Seems like the most common buy lately is an SEL 2.0T or a Titanum. Nice looking, strong incentives, good size, tons of safety features, just not "oh wow, I like" in feel.

Nice review. Seeing more & more Nautilus's on road too.

1 hour ago, caddycruiser said:

"Has the overall Ford 'cobbled together' feel.....Fords are getting more and more like that all the time it seems...."

GREAT point. I know what you mean, lately. It's not just the interior plastics...it's not just the build...it's an overall "this is kinda like a piece meal, spare parts protoype" feel.

Last F-150 XLT rental I was in was quiet, but rode terribly, had pieces coming apart like the interior pillars not fitting & falling off. Plebian & the antithesis of convincing. Mustang I had was incredible...unless seats or interior comfort are important to you. Awful seating...and those Ford Sync radios...dot matrix white & gray coding vibe.

Edge...great deal, and still popular. But not the freshest. Seems like the most common buy lately is an SEL 2.0T or a Titanum. Nice looking, strong incentives, good size, tons of safety features, just not "oh wow, I like" in feel.

Nice review. Seeing more & more Nautilus's on road too.

Even the 2020 explorer seems cobbled together, on the inside at least. 

Edge is still a good vehicle I just think it really is best off in SEL and Titanium versions. 

3 minutes ago, regfootball said:

Even the 2020 explorer seems cobbled together, on the inside at least. 

Edge is still a good vehicle I just think it really is best off in SEL and Titanium versions. 

Well we know the 2020 Explorer is cobbled together with all the problems they're having with them.