PRE-OWNED VEHICLE REVIEW TEST DRIVE: 2017 Cadillac CT6 Platinum 3.0 twin turbo v6

Coming up later..... 

Here's some pics.  Was shopping for mom.  I don't think MOM 'needs' the TWIN TURBO.  

HIGHS:

Lots of extra ROAR and THRUST for the twin turbo vs. the AARP issue V6.

Attractive car, take a look at the pictures.

Comfortable seating and lots of girth, room, and space.  This is how GM used to build a lot of their cars (they don't anymore unless you get a truck).

Honestly the car could cruise all day (that must be why they offer Super Cruise).  At the same time, it has steering and handling that isn't dead or slow.  It has the right amount of reflexes for a non sport model.

As with every CT6 I have driven, it drives lighter and smaller than you actually think it would.

Big trunk, too.  Again, like the way GM used to build em.

Really liked the leather and trimming of the seats themselves.  Still the glossy GM leather, but its perforated style looks cool here.

Awesome dual moonroof, lots of light in the cabin.  

LOWS:

Platinum Panaray sound system is hot garbage.  I didn't spend forever tweaking all the settings and testing multiple sources, but seriously....hot garbage.  Such a disservice to my Revolution Saints "Rise" album.  Also, the bluetooth had stutters when you tried to pause it.  I will give 2018-2020 models the shadow of a doubt as i am sure their interfaces were updated.  It's a shame that one of the reasons for much higher price for the Platinum vs. lower models being the supposed top drawer sound system;  and here, it sucks.  Why would you upgrade to a Platinum?  No bass, no separation, no highs, no power.  I might need to find another one and see if it is as mediocre sound system as this one.

I am not sure how much value a certain number of buyers would place on the extra power of the twin turbo vs the regular v6.  The twin turbo has a racy snarl, and hauls ass nicely but that snarl will no doubt turn off grandma and grandpa.  If they go easy on the throttle, the TT never lets on about its caged roar.  The automatic transmission is clumsy at times and in research I have seen that some have had problems with the 8 speed.  Just get a newer one with the 10 speed, and problem solved.  Again, I question the value proposition here of the higher power motor vs the huge price jump to get it.  The non turbo v6 does a pretty good job about being in relaxed mode all the time, so think long and hard about much more you are willing to pay for the extra power.

It really is the deal, GM really needs to improve plastics and attention to detail in the Cadillac interiors.  Because of the see of taupe, tan, beige in this particular car, it really highlights how blah the plastics are.  I can't call them bad, but they clearly are not super luxury either.  I like the interior layout a lot but the way GM assembles and details interiors rarely ever has special detailing or awesome textures.  I have seen these tan interiors come to life a bit more with some of the pieces switched out to black for more of a light / dark mix, and i think that helps.  Maybe the best things i can say is that its a really well done Camry / Avalon interior,  or....and I can hear my mom say it......'it's not any different than my car already' (2002 DTS).  Which, isn't true by the way....the CT6 interior is nicer than the old DTS and other Cadillac sedans but that is my point here.  The two tone tan bath comes off as so much like the tan bathed Cadillacs of the 90's and 00's that it just doesn't make an impression of Cadillac having upped its game with interiors after all these years.  

Good to see from checking out the new CT5 this weekend that Cadillac has changed up its gauge fonts and touch screen fonts.  These on this 2017 still are also the relics of the 90's and 00's.  It's a good thing Cadillac has improved the touchscreen controls and interfaces overall on its very latest products.

SUMMARY:

I really do like the CT6 every time i have tried it.  And it is a great car, I would love to have one.  This platinum version to me did not ascend to another level of luxury that would be worth stepping way up the price chain for, IMO.  Now, buying one used like this after someone else loses their ass on the depreciation? Go for it.  Whether you need or want the turbo six is a personal choice dependent on how much you want to spend and if you like the racy sound under hard throttle.  The sound system is a serious disappointment.  I will need to give it another shot in the future to try to understand why i thought it was so terrible.  The 'nice' but not awe inspiring interior you just normally learn to accept as a GM buyer (nice seats not withstanding).  

I am pretty sure I could drag mom out to test drive this since i have been trying to get her to get a new car for about 3 years now.  I am willing to bet she would drive it, think its nice, and then say "I like my car, this isn't any different".  Which would be infuriating because it is so much better... But then again, to her for the look and feel, with the usual GM plastics, its probably really not that different.

WHich in some ways though, wasn't that the whole point of the CT6?  Just give back the large sedan option that Cadillac drivers were supposedly looking for all along?  Well it does do that, very well.

9729C8CF-4C90-4DB8-A5B8-E090C7217121.jpeg

DE5C0B9A-5FCA-43D4-9EB3-57430F03C0A6.jpeg

4F7248EA-8BEC-4C27-A98B-15BEA52B56F5.jpeg

A56E7643-3E5F-4925-A735-D12B4029F2EF.jpeg

D430375C-155B-47CA-B1A5-9F22E2612236.jpeg

0EA668C4-BDE5-4938-A2D9-F522D5FDA7F7.jpeg

1404BBC6-AFB1-47E5-AF72-82B4ED7664F7.jpeg

96E940D0-FE05-4F55-802A-39095B887B93.jpeg

0B3D0BAB-2FD7-437D-AA73-839016D1F1CF.jpeg

169731CA-10F5-4E78-9205-4083E0FEF736.jpeg

FC1C15E9-F2CD-4D64-8028-023247A1F0D5.jpeg

8A09DD3C-E5DC-4B77-9DE0-032468A14BA7.jpeg

7B88073C-53A3-4B08-91BC-677234396709.jpeg

3D3AE17B-F8C4-40D9-ABBA-190DECBFFFF9.jpeg

A14C0AF7-383D-41C7-BBAD-322EDDE10038.jpeg

58F59F4D-5DAA-4B87-9A82-FD8D76742DD3.jpeg

952D48B8-5D56-4A07-A5B8-3ABD6F4BABD3.jpeg

B2F27100-710C-4F8A-9B42-E5D2A9F2AB1B.jpeg

1466E056-45C2-4313-8C85-A371CF4D406D.jpeg

0ABB6267-5F3D-4B99-BD72-7A37510C054D.jpeg

CC6CA44F-6CF9-449A-9C7F-A79A45218C2E.jpeg

9FD18647-29ED-4A0B-94E9-E45CFC1DAB74.jpeg

3BC47D29-8205-40E1-B105-7A93F51CA4FB.jpeg

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 1

Each year of these, were different refinements and improvements, and in the CT6 owner fold, most know and state 100% of the time avoid at all costs an 8 speed model, as they've been nothing but problems. Pricing has adjusted accordingly, and there's very little demand, yet for a big car, it's a very unique proposition to buy vs. german, etc.

3.0TT or 3.6L both work well. Decent blah looks but simple, and if you can find the right combination of mass depreciation, without clunks or with resolved transmission issues, and you like sitting low in a big car vs. something taller, is a unique buy.

Edited by caddycruiser
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

What does "Decent blah looks but simple" mean?

Too many words...to say...inoffensive, basic, and blah. But, not terrible. Not intricate. Not ornate. Very blocky, and inoffensive to the point it could be any model from any brand.

7 hours ago, caddycruiser said:

Each year of these, were different refinements and improvements, and in the CT6 owner fold, most know and state 100% of the time avoid at all costs an 8 speed model, as they've been nothing but problems. Pricing has adjusted accordingly, and there's very little demand, yet for a big car, it's a very unique proposition to buy vs. german, etc.

3.0TT or 3.6L both work well. Decent blah looks but simple, and if you can find the right combination of mass depreciation, without clunks or with resolved transmission issues, and you like sitting low in a big car vs. something taller, is a unique buy.

I’m beginning to think I tell mom to get a latest version LaCrosse instead. I am gonna go check out an X1 one of these days also. If she could actually climb into one, an Envision would be perfect for her. The Encore would likely be fine but she’d think it to be a bit small. 

Edited by regfootball

1 hour ago, regfootball said:

I’m beginning to think I tell mom to get a latest version LaCrosse instead. I am gonna go check out an X1 one of these days also. If she could actually climb into one, an Envision would be perfect for her. The Encore would likely be fine but she’d think it to be a bit small. 

Check out Cars.com in your local area.  A lot of 2013-17 Lacrosse models are on sale.

2 hours ago, regfootball said:

Buick Envision is awesome, My sister has one and loves it.

2 minutes ago, regfootball said:

oh i was talking the current LaCrosse model.  

from Wikipedia:

The Buick LaCrosse is a mid-size[5] sedan manufactured and marketed by Buick since 2004. The LaCrosse is now in its third generation, slotted above the Buick Regal as the brand's flagship vehicle.

The first-generation LaCrosse replaced the Century and Regal in North America beginning in the 2005 model year, serving as the brand's mid-size car. The automobile was originally sold as the Buick Allure in Canada. For 2010, the LaCrosse was completely redesigned and moved upmarket as a larger premium sedan.[6][7] The model was redesigned again for 2017.

Although production ended on February 15, 2019 for the North American market, the LaCrosse is still produced in China where it received a facelift for 2019.

i consider the 2010-2016 the previous generation and 2017-2019 the current gen.  As nice as the previous gen was, If i look for any LaCrosses for mom it would be current gen, 2017-2019.

"A lot of 2013-17 Lacrosse models are on sale" 2013-2017 straddles 2 generations of LaCrosse.  technically.

Edited by regfootball

you're in Florida, used cars are cheaper there.  Also, there are always a good supply of used Cadillac / lease returns because Cadillac sells well in FL.  Believe me I know because when i look for used cars I seach nationwide.  FL is a great place to find good used car prices.  Up here in MN the same car is often 2-3 grand or so more.

That said, I have even noticed the CT6 prices are dropping quite a bit lately.  It must be due to that the first wave of the 3 year lease cycles are hitting the market.  It's rather strange but the newer model year XTS are not that much cheaper than the CT6 right now.  If you do find a really cheap XTS from 2017-up its generally either white or silver and probably has the black death interior.

Edited by regfootball