OCTOBER ve-hickle spotter

Saw an immaculate white (pure as the driven snow, get it?) 2004 or 2005 Monte Carlo base ... the last one to have the sideways Coke bottle headlamps.  So, it had the wheel covers and no spoiler, revealing the hump with the CMSL that you rarely see in most MCs.

I remember these 3400 V6 cars being rated at 21 city and 34 highway.  They sipped fuel.  Toward the end of their respective model years, Chevy dealerships were "giving" these away, yet they weren't bad cars at all and time has proven that.

47 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Staggeringly generic with it’s slab sides, blocky tails & single exhaust, but it’s a bentley: 

1327726D-15A9-4BC1-B9A4-873BFC37241F.jpeg

Bentley = always uninspired.

I'd take it, sell it, buy a new $29K Dodge Charger with the proceeds, and save the rest ... like a good tightwad.

• Agree 2

Being that this is a thread of ve-hickle spotting in October, would that imply that those of us posting here are hicks ... or that we have an affinity for them?

I'm wondering if there is somewhat of a hick quotient in the cranberry flats in the middle of the Garden State.  I couldn't believe how unpopulated it is as one drives from Philly to Atlantic City, for example.

• Haha 2

Don't think I've ever heard 'vehicle' pronounced 've-hickle'.  

Anyhoo, haven't seen really seen much of note this month.   Went out last Saturday to drop off my ballots at the county Board of Elections--15 minute drive then a 20 min wait in line w/ other vehicles...then took a drive across Cleveland and out into the suburbs and down through Rocky River Reservation (park)..great to see the fall colors and cooler weather.   My sister had her Cadillac STS detailed to get it ready to sell, I plan to take it out for a drive this afternoon...running well for now.

unnamed-14.jpg

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Being that this is a thread of ve-hickle spotting in October, would that imply that those of us posting here are hicks ... or that we have an affinity for them?

I'm wondering if there is somewhat of a hick quotient in the cranberry flats in the middle of the Garden State.  I couldn't believe how unpopulated it is as one drives from Philly to Atlantic City, for example.

MANY Jerseyians proudly insist there's a 'Central Jersey' (as do I).
That said : Trenton is right in the center (north-to-south), and the majority of the southern half is fairly sparsely populated. Drive Rt 539 thru the Pine Barrens is interesting if you've also seen the northeast quadrant of the state.

I don't like the urban areas. Trenton is OK because I've been there on occasion all my life (plus; born there). But up towards Elizabeth / Newark and I start getting nervous. Most of my growin' up was in a strictly rural area- the 2 nearest towns had about 2000 residents.

I know I've heard the pronunciation of 'Ve-hickle' in a couple of movies, but couldn't tell you which ones. I've not heard someone say it in person (speaking seriously).

• Thanks 3

Right, I had forgotten about the Pine Barrens.  I don't know if the cranberry fields are in the Pine Barrens or they are two separate places.

The one thing that stunned me is how close Matawan (of 1916 infamy) is to NYC.  I had always thought that that waterway emptied into Egg Harbor, or somewhere down there, along the Atlantic Seaboard.

Mostly, I know Bergen County because of relatives - and the way down to Newark Airport as well as the way up along the Palisade(s) Parkway back to the New York state line.  When I'd visit, I would take the NJ Transit buses to get into Port Authority in Manhattan on the cheap and riding with entertaining people along the lines of Maude or Rhoda was guaranteed.

8 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Don't think I've ever heard 'vehicle' pronounced 've-hickle'.  

Anyhoo, haven't seen really seen much of note this month.   Went out last Saturday to drop off my ballots at the county Board of Elections--15 minute drive then a 20 min wait in line w/ other vehicles...then took a drive across Cleveland and out into the suburbs and down through Rocky River Reservation (park)..great to see the fall colors and cooler weather.   My sister had her Cadillac STS detailed to get it ready to sell, I plan to take it out for a drive this afternoon...running well for now.

unnamed-14.jpg

Nice Looking STS! :metal:

Robert, so she is going from a 2 car owner to just her AWD CUV? Or is there another auto in the works? 🤔

35 minutes ago, David said:

Nice Looking STS! :metal:

Robert, so she is going from a 2 car owner to just her AWD CUV? Or is there another auto in the works? 🤔

Yeah, it’s been a money pit the two years she’s had it, and with all that’s gone on this year, it doesn’t get driven.  Wants to keep the Trax, it only has 23k.  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, balthazar said:

I know I've heard the pronunciation of 'Ve-hickle' in a couple of movies, but couldn't tell you which ones. I've not heard someone say it in person (speaking seriously).

Dude that's how I say it.  VE-hickle.  It's cool.

• Haha 2

Went to Michigan to pick up some tools with a friend...we trailered them back behind his dad's clean with a bit of Patina 92 F150.  Red and white...we came across an immaculately restored Bronco same era sane colors. Kind if cool to cruise along in two older vehicles like that 

A convoy of F350 with testing apparatus all over them...Ford motor company logo  on all of the trucks...

• Agree 1

I have seen several ZR2 Colorqdo's around central Ohio here. I wanted a two wheel drive truck with the Ranger...simplicity and fuel economy for a daily driver. But dammit man....I could really rock a ZR2 as a driveway mate. I like the regular ZR2 better than the Bison....don't like the Bison front bumper. 

On 10/18/2020 at 3:56 PM, David said:

Did my weekly Costco 

lunch or "Cafe 150" stop?

- - - - -

I'm going to go back in time with the spotting.  This would have been October 1:

KIMG1794-ink.thumb.jpg.7fd6780957466bb21ce14e9c8ff26293.jpg

Second-gen and final Aurora - spotless - 3.5 V6 and gold package

KIMG1729.thumb.JPG.6c8c776e12952499510d421aa8650986.JPG

From the tropics to the tundra, complete with the little Cuba sticker in the rear window ... there's a story behind everything.

Edited by trinacriabob

Oddly enough...after not seeing anything interesting for like forever...was out running errands in my Ranger...and ..

56 Chevy 4 door

69 Thunderbird 4 door

59 Chevy sedan delivery

72 Chevelle SS

Watched at E46 M3 rear end a Dodge minivan

Saw a late model Ram pickup that seemed to have a dead cat....a real dead cat... permanently mounted as a good ornament. Not making that one up...but odd.

• Agree 1

October 3 - more conventional cars seen:

KIMG1963.thumb.JPG.e2c139995ca6d6e627053d882d0963cd.JPG

Blast from the past - I believe it was an '85, per the grille - in very good condition - could do without the pimpy coach light and metal decoration in the B-pillar

KIMG1965.thumb.JPG.8e6c15ff4b35bd5a1d5567362b59908b.JPG

This was about 4 houses away from the Cutlass!  Just a minute or so away.  Wow.  Again, these look sharp in silver with burgundy leather inside.  Who said we don't need coupes anymore?

KIMG2138.thumb.JPG.3e91c20afaf0a28dd918d3abd0216892.JPG

A GP in great condition considering where it was - a 2004 because of those wheel colors and a keyed trunk lock - all that was missing here was Mary Tyler Moore (just kidding ... RIP MTM, a cool lady).

DSCN1766.thumb.JPG.68f4c81b8667bd3ca9f708256f811739.JPG

Last but not least, the Chrysler product - a Ram truck.  Granted, their grilles have gotten nicer.  Within the last few years, it has finally sunken in that it's not a Dodge Ram, but a Ram.  What struck me here is that this dude, or chick, can keep their truck in perfect condition but not pop for a needed window pane for their garage door in a cold climate.

• Agree 1

"Ten - four."  This would mean October, 4 spotting in this case:

Wow, this T-bird is a blast from the past.  One of our neighbors when I was a kid, a Mexican lady who would give my mom a ride to church with her, had one of these, or maybe a slightly later version.

It had the sequential blinking turn signals in the back, as did the more svelte Mercury Cougars of a few years later, as well as a steering wheel that tilted away, in a diagonal direction.

Don't know the year of this one.  It was for sale.  Don't know how much they were asking ... not really a FoMoCo buyer.

KIMG2219.thumb.JPG.a410038752e9383d2b2caa024dd25650.JPG

KIMG2220.thumb.JPG.e621484f2b0a71b594a0b842e1b559c8.JPG

October 4 - special purpose post - yeah, right ...

I suppose it's weird to point your phone camera into a parked car's interior.  Here you have a photo of the interior of a parked 2004 Grand Prix.  I remember that I had reentered the market to purchase at that time and liked these GPs, especially their "wraparound" dash and console.  That very first year, and maybe into the second year, their cloth interior was bizarre (see photo).  This is what you'd see in an econobox by Renault, Fiat, etc. overseas.  It was almost like backpack material.  It would probably last forever, though. 

DSCN1790.thumb.JPG.4f8d60512aa33d109dae0c52225bcaed.JPG

They changed it to a normal cloth interior in subsequent years. I don't know if they were trying to appear European ... or go on the cheap.

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

"Ten - four."  This would mean October, 4 spotting in this case:

Wow, this T-bird is a blast from the past.  One of our neighbors when I was a kid, a Mexican lady who would give my mom a ride to church with her, had one of these, or maybe a slightly later version.

It had the sequential blinking turn signals in the back, as did the more svelte Mercury Cougars of a few years later, as well as a steering wheel that tilted away, in a diagonal direction.

Don't know the year of this one.  It was for sale.  Don't know how much they were asking ... not really a FoMoCo buyer.

KIMG2219.thumb.JPG.a410038752e9383d2b2caa024dd25650.JPG

KIMG2220.thumb.JPG.e621484f2b0a71b594a0b842e1b559c8.JPG

That’s a ‘66 Thunderbird.  

• Thanks 1

October 5 - when it rains, it pours ... W-bodies:

KIMG2343.thumb.JPG.88de0d02fb276a91b37c281d9f804c6c.JPG

By the color, I'm going to say 2007.  I had this same car/color in Montreal as a rental.  That's just dirt I see.  Amazing that there's no visible rust.  No comment about the other stuff I could comment on.

KIMG2349.thumb.JPG.94b5a4ff6754e3ef4dfe2500cfbfc07d.JPG

A cobbled together Intrigue ... I'm going to say '98 or '99, or are those alloys from 2000 and beyond?  It's hard to tell without looking at the rear fascia.

KIMG2422.thumb.JPG.36e22e13df14edcedcd392c085040592.JPG

A LaX at a pull out overlooking the lake and a sandy beach ... beautiful view (of the lake and the beach).  This was a rough 2005 or 2006.  Apparently, these things keep going and going, given the harsh conditions.

Took a drive about 20 miles south through parts of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, nice scenic fall weather..warm enough to see many convertibles out and about...a couple different generations of Miatas, Mercedes SLs, a dark green Bentley Continental GT convertible,  a white late model Mustang GT w/ California Special trim, oldest car I saw was a clean dark blue '71-72 Malibu. 

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

*puts on glasses*

*squints real hard*

Must be in very fine print

You make no sense and I don't get the humor.  I can't possibly remember the old vehicles from "The Godfather" except that the "cannoli car" was big, American, bulbous, and about that color.

- - - - -

Spotted on October 7 near the Straits of Mackinac Bridge, a wonderful area.

I did it again ... you know, some interior photos.  I've got a soft spot for the Bonnes, given that I was invited to a car clinic where I got to drive one on a test track with pylons when newly released.  I was surprised I liked it as much as I did and that it handled nimbly for its size.

KIMG2964.thumb.JPG.3220a91886d92c10a15fd1d3ed9ffc9a.JPG

I can't tell the years on these Bonnes.  Most of the ones I see seem to be this color, silver, or white.  This one has too much ribbed side cladding.

DSCN2243.thumb.JPG.9a40584272945855f53bb488378ce2fe.JPG

I think the automatic lamps in my vehicle light up the rear light bar on the Bonne since it was late in the afternoon

KIMG2966.thumb.JPG.00e4ea6fd0363ec99969867ee68a0acf.JPG

Busy interior and dashboard and Pontiac sure liked to put circular vents and gauges anywhere they could.  That extra pod with climate control vents scabbed on to the right of the center stack has always looked weird but, otherwise, the dash is cool.

DSCN2246.thumb.JPG.ced2949bfd83b3b9b2e8c9406d82d2ed.JPG

This interior is super comfortable and supportive, I'm sure.  This is the only car I can think of where the seat belts were anchored to the seat, and not to a pillar or structure that is not part of the seat.  I wonder why that was discontinued and how well that worked, but I've always thought it was an interesting set-up.  And I also like the perforated headrests, which were also found in Grand Prixs during that span of years.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

You make no sense and I don't get the humor.  I can't possibly remember the old vehicles from "The Godfather" except that the "cannoli car" was big, American, bulbous, and about that color.

- - - - -

Spotted on October 7 near the Straits of Mackinac Bridge, a wonderful area.

I did it again ... you know, some interior photos.  I've got a soft spot for the Bonnes, given that I was invited to a car clinic where I got to drive one on a test track with pylons when newly released.  I was surprised I liked it as much as I did and that it handled nimbly for its size.

KIMG2964.thumb.JPG.3220a91886d92c10a15fd1d3ed9ffc9a.JPG

I can't tell the years on these Bonnes.  Most of the ones I see seem to be this color, silver, or white.  This one has too much ribbed side cladding.

DSCN2243.thumb.JPG.9a40584272945855f53bb488378ce2fe.JPG

I think the automatic lamps in my vehicle light up the rear light bar on the Bonne since it was late in the afternoon

KIMG2966.thumb.JPG.00e4ea6fd0363ec99969867ee68a0acf.JPG

Busy interior and dashboard and Pontiac sure liked to put circular vents and gauges anywhere they could.  That extra pod with climate control vents scabbed on to the right of the center stack has always looked weird but, otherwise, the dash is cool.

DSCN2246.thumb.JPG.ced2949bfd83b3b9b2e8c9406d82d2ed.JPG

This interior is super comfortable and supportive, I'm sure.  This is the only car I can think of where the seat belts were anchored to the seat, and not to a pillar or structure that is not part of the seat.  I wonder why that was discontinued and how well that worked, but I've always thought it was an interesting set-up.  And I also like the perforated headrests, which were also found in Grand Prixs during that span of years.

My sister's '00 DTS had those style seatbelts...IIRC, the Park Avenue around 2000 may have had them also.   I've seen them in some full size pickups, some of the Rams I believe. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

My sister's '00 DTS had those style seatbelts...IIRC, the Park Avenue around 2000 may have had them also.   I've seen them in some full size pickups, some of the Rams I believe. 

Yes, in the DTS, too.  And Parks and LeSabres of that era.  I liked them in that they made interiors look less cluttered.  

1 minute ago, trinacriabob said:

Yes, in the DTS, too.  And Parks and LeSabres of that era.  I liked them in that they made interiors look less cluttered.  

Yes, and much nicer than those awful seatbelts anchored to the doors that GM did in the early 90s...those were awful.

So out of boredom sometimes on Sundays I cruise the car lots.  Last week the Toyota lot was sparse, just like all the rest.  This week the lot is FULL of new vehicles.  Wow, I was impressed!  Ford, Chevy and Dodge lots are still sparse.

Does anyone else like that Lunar Rock color on the RAV4?  I think it looks good with the black interior on those.  29 MPG average economy is pretty darn good for a 4WD as big as the RAV.

DSC06759_dc.jpg

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2020 at 8:16 PM, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, it’s been a money pit the two years she’s had it, and with all that’s gone on this year, it doesn’t get driven.  Wants to keep the Trax, it only has 23k.  

The STS sold on Saturday..just got back from going to the bank to get the title notarized...off to a new home with 139k miles...

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

The STS sold on Saturday..just got back from going to the bank to get the title notarized...off to a new home with 139k miles...

Awesome, young or older person who bought it? Happy it is going to a new home.

A money pit gone!

18 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

An IT director in his 50s bought for his college student son. 

That's a trippy choice for a college student.  The dad and the son must be free thinkers who don't need conformity to guide them.

- - - - -

Well, something had to sour the trip.  Here it is ... spotted on October 8:  the car for free thinkers who aren't such free thinkers.

KIMG3347.thumb.JPG.d9afe3612bb9f0da81217b17fd9aead9.JPG

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

That's a trippy choice for a college student.  The dad and the son must be free thinkers who don't need conformity to guide them.

The guy was driving an XT5...said he'd driven Cadillacs for 30 years..

Speaking of Subarus, there was a black Ascent parked behind me at the bank this morning, looking at the tail end in my rearview mirror, I thought it was a Ford CUV of some sort until I noticed the oval emblem wasn't a Ford blue oval...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Haha 1