December car-spotter wrap-up

balthazar

26 minutes ago, balthazar said:

'73 boattail Riviera, burgandy w/ white half top, super mint, motoring into self-storage place, likely for winter hibernation.

Sweet. 

Saw a Westphalia camper van on the road, also a vintage International Harvester Scout parked in my neighborhood. Nothing special lately 

Caught a glimpse of what looked like a clean yellow '65 LeMans sitting in a garage..had a car cover partially on, couldn't tell if it was a coupe or convertible.   From the length of the badging on the rear quarter pretty sure it was a LeMans and not a GTO (from 75 feet away). 

2 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I never liked this gen Malibu.  Or any of the rest of the A-Body cars that shared this body style.  (Buick Century, Olds Cutlass 4 door Salon, Pontiac Bonneville and Lemans 4 door, mind you, the Lemans coupe I liked...)  But somehow, in that state, I like.  

Just sad that anyone would let their auto get in that sad of a state.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, David said:

I tell you what...

Id LOVE to own a beater like that, maybe put bump/crash bars like cop cars got up front and that way, I wouldnt care who would try to cut me off, or run a stop sign, or park close to me at a Walmart parking lot...because even though my TL is 8 going on 9 years old, daily driven in Montreal winter weather, my car still looks good like your Escalade does, (well...your Escalade looks AMAZING and better than my TL even tho your vehicle is even OLDER than mine), and I still fear on denting my car in ANY way in ANY driving situation because of idiots on the road.  Yes, like how you said...I take care of my car and still want for it to look as good as it could be.  But if I had a beater like that, I wouldnt have ANY anxieties. Besides, asshats on the road would think twice, maybe, in trying anything risky  when sharing the road with a beater with bump bars up front like that.  And its a plus that I actually like the way that Malibu looks all beat up like that. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Time wears down all things- only so much one can do RE maintaining perfection, esp once the miles add up. Otherwise, you are investing steady money re-doing things in the later years.

- - - - -
Changed my oil today (awl by mineself!), so as usual I gave things a look-over underneath- something the grease monkeys don't care to do.
203K miles and my truck is getting TERRIBLE below decks. Rockers I knew were bubbling... but there's a major crack from the rocker/floor seam heading toward the door jamb, and at least the 2 body mounts on that side are looking bad. What is someone expected to do- once you see corrosion coming around around the body bushings; pay to have the body lifted off the frame and scrape/repaint all the mounts, then replace the bushings? Who does that on a daily driver?? Answer: no one.

Mechanically it's great. Checked the trans fluid and it was down about a half quart- this is the first time I've EVER added fluid to it (other than filter changes). Pan is a little damp on the outside- maybe the gasket is seeping. But the body is getting too rough. Behind the rear axle is super scaly.

I'm going to cancel my KBB evaluation for Tuesday. It's about 25 mins north of me, and my regular dealer is 0.8 miles away. I just don't want to waste their time- truck wouldn't even going to a wholesaler. I'll get what I can get for it privately.

Meanwhile, the new truck ordering is a GO!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

7 hours ago, David said:

They live in Blythe, CA and don't have a carport?

- - - - -

Spotted on December 9 - my second favorite color for this car, minus spoiler, after basic white:

KIMG6133.thumb.JPG.c8fb6a8c70b14e1cba606d01624a0bd8.JPG

• Agree 2

@balthazar

I think weather (salt breeze by an ocean, dry dry climate with an occasional gust of wind containing sand if near a dessert, humid/damp climates and below freezing temps and  salt on road surfaces as an icemelter) are the real killer of cars more than time (itself) and wear and tear.  

Its when servicing and replacing (parts) and issues  become more frequent and less worth it to continue to do so is when cars should be thought of to be disposed of.  Of course safety has to be factored in.  

Weather...just accelerates the time part of that equation.  

I once said in here that Id rather buy new rather than used. I got chastised for it.  Well...potholes, salted roads, below freezing weather wreaking havoc on seals (yup...below freezing weather screw up seals as much as hot dry climates...), engines blocks, sensors...because...at least I start with a new canvas...a new clock that starts at zero and the countdown begins when I first drive it.   Buying a used car could be a gamble as one does not know how well the previous driver maintained and utilized the car.  If one buys a 3 year old car...in a climate that eats up cars, and that used car was not maintained properly, the amount of money saved on depreciation could very well be EASILY spent and BYPASSED on PROPER repairs. Thus saving nothing and possibly be BEHIND. Its a gamble. To which I dont want to play. I make enough money and have enough cash flow as to not have to bat an eyelash for such a gamble.  Not worth the risk for me.

I was laughed at by another poster telling me to buy an American vehicle.

Well, my awesome government wants to prevent such endeavors so my government puts all kinds of regulatory and financial obstacles to deter such behaviour. Unless we are talking about hobby/toy cars, again, not worth the trouble.

Then he suggested I buy from British Columbia.  Vancouver area and have it shipped to Montreal...

Vancouver is rainy.  Rain is just as bad for corrosion as is salt on icy roads... He might not believe so....but what could I tell ya...   Again...looking for a daily driver and not a toy...not worth the hassle for me.  Shipping and the gamble that the car might get damaged from shipping...Vancouver to Montreal is..well...far.   Only to buy a car that comes from that far and realize its in bad shape. Not how it looked in the pictures as we all know how honest fellow human beings could be, ESPECIALLY in the car world...

All that just to say to you:

CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW CAR PURCHASE!!!  

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1

Spotted on December 13

"The Germans are coming, the Germans are coming ..."

KIMG6153.thumb.JPG.60a533a79a8d73875382853474bb6f26.JPG

Never mind, they've already left.

These "imported for Buick" Regal wagons seem lengthier than how they looked when in the showroom.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Brand new Sierra Denali 2500HD Duramax 6.6L/ Allison 10-spd on the left. Sticker was $83K.

That’s my desired Pacific Blue Elevation on the right, except it was a 2.7L Double cab. Purty in person tho.

2E60AA7E-C889-450D-8A0D-EB3CD40D49DB.jpeg

Is it the angle of the picture or is that 2500HD actually sitting higher than the Elevation truck?

• Haha 1

Today was sort of a Buick spotting day

First, I saw the last gen LaCrosse in silver getting off of an on-ramp.  I thought about how it wasn't so bad looking.  And how it's the last of the big GM sedans (other than Cadillac) we'll know for a while.

Also, the boomerang, C-shape of the tail lamps works within its rear fascia while, in Honda products, there isn't enough space for similar tail lamp shapes and it's a big "fail."

- - - - -

Then, I saw about an early '90s white Buick Skylark sedan on the freeway.  What a hoot.  It was in great shape, with no body damage for a 30 year old vehicle, and moving along nicely.  Too bad the douche bag driving it was texting.  I know these had 3 speed transaxles but believe they had different 4s and 6s.  The good thing was that it probably could have been had with the 3300 V6 (born of the 3800) at some point.

It looked pretty much like this one, but had some type of alloy wheels:

1992_buick_skylark_4_dr_base_sedan-pic-2

Spotted on December 15 walking out of a restaurant in a strip mall

KIMG6178_inked.thumb.jpg.a54c2dc74e2793a4e91cba8128f3358c.jpg

I loved these back in the day.  I'll never forget when I was visiting a grade school friend in Spokane WA and had to make myself scarce until they got home from work, so I went to a Barnes and Noble with a Pontiac-Buick-GMC dealer next to it.  There was one identical to this, though possibly in the metallic bronze color, that was very deeply discounted at the end of the model year. The price was on the window.  I didn't even talk to a salesperson - no one bothered me.  I was tempted to ask for the form to sign on the line and buy it.  I didn't. 

It all worked out.  All is well that ends well.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 1

Saw a first gen red Transit Connect yesterday, heavily rusted.  Rusted out rockers, rust holes in the doors and around the rear wheel arches.  Haven't seen one of those in any condition in a while...

Today saw a new Supra in yellow...in a similar bright yellow, saw a 1st gen Chevy Colorado 4dr pickup, lots of rust on the rear fenders, rockers and front bumper. Also saw a silver Pontiac G6 coupe..good shape. Haven't seen one of those in a while.

Edited by Robert Hall

Day 6 of skiing at Stevens pass and I noticed something very interesting. Last year saw plenty of Tesla's.

This year, specifically today especially I saw a number of Audi E-TRON, Toyota Rav 4 Hybrid and the following two GMC Crew Cab Pickup Trucks in Elevation and AT4 Trim with what was a standard on the Avalanche and now an option the multi-part bed cover with the GMC logo.

• Agree 1

@balthazar I liked this Bonneville, for the most part.  The trim level really affects its overall appearance.  People I know who have had owned this generation of Bonne have had good luck with them.  

It's the next-gen after this one that I didn't like.  Too bulbous. 

Then, in 2000, they righted the ship, so to speak, with a nice, new Bonneville until the model got phased out, along with the brand. 

Sad event ... some unforgettable cars. 

• Agree 3

Cold out this morning, 17F.  Roads plowed well.  Had to go out and run errands, saw a current gen GMC Sierra longbed regular cab in a light gray blue.  Decent looking, first time I’ve seen a regular cab of the current generation.  

D9062445-11C1-44C5-8A1C-48F469E38821.jpeg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Forgot to snap a pic before I left, but a new Camaro SS in red that came up the pass as the two young men had snowboards but it slid into the parking lot. Wrong tool for the job. Was funny watching them spin the tires to get in.

37 minutes ago, David said:

Forgot to snap a pic before I left, but a new Camaro SS in red that came up the pass as the two young men had snowboards but it slid into the parking lot. Wrong tool for the job. Was funny watching them spin the tires to get in.

Was out a bit today, and along a two lane road that was well-plowed there was a bright yellow late model Camaro in a ditch on the right side of the road pointing the wrong direction...with a dusting of snow on it... must have went off yesterday or last night when it was still snowing and the roads were slippery...about 2 hrs later went back the opposite direction and it was being pulled onto a rollback wrecker...

As I was coming home from work later in the afternoon, I came across a Hummer H2 waiting on a red light on a 3 lane road. I was in the left lane wanting to left. He was on the right lane wanting to turn right. It was in rough condition but I was thinking to myself, this thing is a beast of a thing when a Ram 1500 Rebel pulls up between us in the middle lane. I quickly changed my mind about how beastly the Hummer was. The Rebel dwarfed it...

Coming back from my 9th day of skiing and saw an old buy, probably in his 70's in a Collectors Edition state license plate of a Gold Firebird in excellent condition. A dry day, roads dry, perfect time to take it for a cruise. Guy was in no hurry, just cruising along. Was cool how great a condition it was in. Probably garage kept and only out on sunny dry days.

1 hour ago, David said:

Last day of 2020 and running a few errands found this. A bit rough but still running.

20201231_131259.jpg

I remember these and I liked them ... in purist form.  I would go look at them at the Pontiac-Buick-GMC dealership near Totem Lake in Kirkland WA, if it's still there and has the same name.  They could be had with a 3800 V6, an automatic 4 spd. transmission, and really toned down appendages and no graphics.  They'd probably last a long time with that set up and if taken care of.  The one thing you always got on any F-bird from those years is the pop-up headlamps and, after a few years, you'd see some one-eyed bandits plying the roads.

Happy New Year!  Here's to many great car sightings in 2021.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I remember these and I liked them ... in purist form.  I would go look at them at the Pontiac-Buick-GMC dealership near Totem Lake in Kirkland WA, if it's still there and has the same name.  They could be had with a 3800 V6, an automatic 4 spd. transmission, and really toned down appendages and no graphics.  They'd probably last a long time with that set up and if taken care of.  The one thing you always got on any F-bird from those years is the pop-up headlamps and, after a few years, you'd see some one-eyed bandits plying the roads.

Happy New Year!  Here's to many great car sightings in 2021.

Yes the Kirkland GMC/Buick Dealership is still there.

These cars were cool in their own way for sure.

Happy New Years to you and everyone else here looking for a better 2021.

Forgot to post this last night after gassing up, but it seems moon caps are coming back. I have seen them on plenty of autos this month including this Subaru. 

20201231_210630.jpg

• Haha 2