Saleen Camaro Speculation

So, I made a chop of what I hope to one day see, a Saleen Camaro (please comment on this chop's design HERE):

Posted Image

Then I did a little Saleen S281 (Mustang) research. S281 stands for the Saleen version of Ford's 281 cubic inch 4.6L V8 in the Mustang GT. The Saleen S281's performance specs are as follows (stage: "name of stage" -- horsepower/torque):

Ford Mustang GT -- 300/320

S281 Stage 1: "3-Valve" -- 330/340

S281 Stage 2: "Supercharged" -- 435/425

S281 Stage 3: "Extreme" -- 550/500

However, the Mustang only uses one V8 and we're counting on the Camaro having two from the factory. Therefore, I'm going to use the lower-end V8 for the Saleen version of our beloved 5th Generation Camaro, the Saleen S350, because it is the closest to the stock Mustang GT. Going just by guess work, I'm going to guess the lower-end V8 engine (let's just call this Z28 for now) to be 350 cubic inches with 350 HP and 350 lb/ft torque. Then, the upper-end V8 Camaro (let's name this one SS) is speculated around 430-450 HP and similar torque, which works perfectly with my Saleen numbers:

Chevy Camaro Z28: 350/350

S350 Stage 1: 380/380

Chevy Camaro SS: 440/440

S350 Stage 2: 500/475

S350 Stage 3: 625/575

Now, in terms of horsepower and torque only, this puts the Z28 right above the GT, the SS right between S350 Stage 1 and S350 Stage 2 (also putting the SS right with the S281 Stage 2 "Supercharged"), and S350 Stage 2 right in Shelby Cobra GT500 territory (which has 500 HP and 480 lb/ft all for a Z06-like price).

I've done my research over the last couple hours and all the pricing, numbers, etc. seem feasible (I based numbers on GT vs S281 ratios). The rumor is that Saleen is going to please Camaro buyers, but for now all we have is speculation...

Edited by NOS2006

wow NOS... WILD AND CRAZY IDEA MAN!!!!! lets just hope they make it a FIREBREATHING MONSTER eh? LOL

hey is SALINE a contact lens solution?!?!?!~~~?!??! yuk yuk yuk

:P

• 1 year later...
Chevy Camaro Z28: 350/350

S350 Stage 1: 380/380

Chevy Camaro SS: 440/440

S350 Stage 2: 500/475

S350 Stage 3: 625/575

Now, in terms of horsepower and torque only, this puts the Z28 right above the GT, the SS right between S350 Stage 1 and S350 Stage 2 (also putting the SS right with the S281 Stage 2 "Supercharged"), and S350 Stage 2 right in Shelby Cobra GT500 territory (which has 500 HP and 480 lb/ft all for a Z06-like price).

haha I speculate so much different just a year and a half later. Now I see the SS having about 430 HP and Z28 having around 550 HP. Would be crazy if Saleen still came in and did something over and above that though!

haha I speculate so much different just a year and a half later. Now I see the SS having about 430 HP and Z28 having around 550 HP. Would be crazy if Saleen still came in and did something over and above that though!

Sorry, I don't want to have anything to do with a Saleen or a Roush Camaro, there are certainly other alternatives out there. Saleen has bad-mouthed the Camaro so much in the last several months and Roush is too well known for Ford projects.

Clyde

Yeah, it would seem very strange to see the Saleen or Roush brand on a Chevy, since they are historically Ford tuners... it would be neat to see a revival of the vintage Chevy tuner names like Yenko or Baldwin-Motion..

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Saleen Camaro at some point.

At one time, a year ago, I had some dealings with Steve Saleen and one of his major investor/partners.

Do you guys realize that GM contracted with Saleen to build the original Camaro concept car? Yup.....

I asked Steve directly if he'd ever considered branching out from Ford and building a Saleen Camaro. He said it's not "out of the question." Remember....Saleen is a vehicle manufactuer (as opposed to, say, Roush, who is a "tuner.") Saleen Mustangs are officially not Ford products. Saleens have their own individual VIN numbers as well.

At that time, Steve was not happy with the overall relationship with Ford in terms of the marketing and distribution of the brand through the select Ford dealerships and he had a huge desire to begin building his own dealership sales channel (hence my initial dealings with him.) Since his departure from the company, I haven't had any interaction with them and I'm not sure where the new owners are wanting to take Saleen....

But a Saleen Camaro was certainly something that had been considered.......

Yeah, it would seem very strange to see the Saleen or Roush brand on a Chevy, since they are historically Ford tuners... it would be neat to see a revival of the vintage Chevy tuner names like Yenko or Baldwin-Motion..

Don Yenko was killed in a plane crash several years ago, the only Yenko dealership I could find recently was Yenko Honda and that has been sold/changing names. I think Baldwin is still doing some things, so that could be a possibility. I think we'll also see something from Berger Chev.

Clyde

I wonder...

I wonder if GM could contract out their hi-po cars to someone like Saleen to preserve CAFE figures?

I mean, I know performance cars aren't really the problem, but if the corporation is sweating over 1 MPG on Zeta then every little bit helps. Maybe our future performance models could be outsourced to companies like Saleen and wouldn't count against GM's numbers.

I don't like the idea of having this altered state of 'factory performance' as much as I like seeing the manufacturers put out the cars. But I'd rather see some outsourcing than dropping of models/trims.

I wonder...

I wonder if GM could contract out their hi-po cars to someone like Saleen to preserve CAFE figures?

I mean, I know performance cars aren't really the problem, but if the corporation is sweating over 1 MPG on Zeta then every little bit helps. Maybe our future performance models could be outsourced to companies like Saleen and wouldn't count against GM's numbers.

I don't like the idea of having this altered state of 'factory performance' as much as I like seeing the manufacturers put out the cars. But I'd rather see some outsourcing than dropping of models/trims.

The problem with Saleen is......the company IS a manufacturer.....legally.....just like GM, Ford, Honda, et al.

They are going to face the same cafe requirements as anyone else.....which means you may see less-and-less (relatively) affordable Saleens and more high-end stuff (like the S7 or the high-end, $80K S/C Mustangs they do.)

SLP and GMMG might have something to say about all of this. :AH-HA_wink:

But think about this possibility......

Alot of guys that have Saleen Mustangs are almost more "Saleen" enthusiasts than they are necessarily "Mustang" enthusiasts.

A link-up with Saleen and Camaro could have some really positive effects.....not the least would be the press and attention in the media the cars would get. And you'd probably pull some guys from the Fords...!

But think about this possibility......

Alot of guys that have Saleen Mustangs are almost more "Saleen" enthusiasts than they are necessarily "Mustang" enthusiasts.

A link-up with Saleen and Camaro could have some really positive effects.....not the least would be the press and attention in the media the cars would get. And you'd probably pull some guys from the Fords...!

Oh, I have no objection to Saleen being involved at all. But I know SLP is cooking something up for Camaro as I imagine GMMG wil be. It won't be second sticker this time though, it will be a true aftermarket package.

Oh, I have no objection to Saleen being involved at all. But I know SLP is cooking something up for Camaro as I imagine GMMG wil be. It won't be second sticker this time though, it will be a true aftermarket package.

You know what's kinda cool......Saleens all have their own unique window sticker showing the Saleen-specific VIN and other information. And it doesn't in any way resemble Ford's sticker...

You misunderstand. I was saying that the SLP cars did not have a specific SLP VIN, but they had the second sticker. They also had an SLP build number and a GM RPO for the package.

Oooooo sorry.....didn't mean to snap your head off......

:unsure:

(actually I wasn't trying to snap your head off....lol)