New ES350 Leaves Lienert Cold

Variance

New ES350 Leaves Lienert Cold

Posted Image

It would seem those robots in the new ES350 commercials were more enthused with it than one of the Lienerts was. (It isn't clear which Lienert wrote this preview because it is credited to both of them but clearly one person wrote it. Since Anita usually does the solo act, I'll assume it's her.) She called it comfortable and competent but it wasn't something she got excited over.

Read "Uninspired, costly Lexus ES 350 fails to impress" @ The Detroit News

I don't like this design, but that is kind of a cool picture you posted. Ironic that you called it ugly at the same time.

I wouldn't call this design ugly, just derivative and boring.

Oh, no doubt the picture is awesome. The color...needs to be on a different car. Its just the front 3/4 is about the worst perspective for this car, highlighting its slab-sidedness, blunt pushed-in nose, and massive door mirrors.

I'm no ES fan myself, but when has this product ever been a media darling? They'll sell everyone they bring over because it has out-Buicked Buick....high content, high price, unimpressive underpinings...the GM recipe for every vehicle Buick, Olds and Caddy produced between 80 and '00...

It's just frustrating to see how it works when executed successfully...kudos to Toyota for getting $30-40K for a top of the line Camry.

(Seems the general criticism of the Leinarts gets ignored when they agree with our party line here.)

Edited by enzl

(Seems the general criticism of the Leinarts gets ignored when they agree with our party line here.)

Oh, there's plenty. For instance,

The macro side is the ES 350 isn't nearly as good a value as more affordable and intriguing offerings such as the Hyundai Azera, which starts in the mid-$20,000s.

The Azera is a car you buy when you've given up on affording a true luxury sedan and really don't care what's behind the faux expensive touches. Has Anita seen a mid-$20s Azera? Clearly not if she's making this comparo.

One boy-racer touch in the cabin is the pushbutton start.

Apparently, boy-racer has crossed over from a derogatory Celica/Firebird term to an all-inclusive word for "thing I don't get because I'm out-of-touch." Funny how they like it in Benzes and other Lexus cars...

And I still think it's ridiculous to put twin exhausts on any vehicle that does not come with a V-8 engine.

I don't see where she gets that from. Perhaps her :butthead:

I do agree with alot of things she mentions, though, like the poorly-conceived center stack, and Lexus cars regardless of horsepower never feel fast.