2010 Lucerne: RWD Zeta?

buickguy

Okay, thank God I now know the answer to the question "Is Zeta dead?"

Too bad it couldn't be a tad sooner, but I'll definitely take it! :)

So, according to this, Camaro will be a 2010 model? I thought it was slated to be earlier than that.

GM needs to introduce this program to stay competitive with its rivals.

Both the Chrysler division of DaimlerChrysler AG and Ford Motor Co. are offering such cars, which are regaining popularity because of their superior performance.

GM would first crank out Chevrolet Impala in June 2009, with expected annual sales of 165,000 cars.

Next would be the Camaro in September 2009 with annual sales projected at 100,000 a year, followed by the Cadillac DTS sedan in June 2010 and the Buick Lucerne in October 2010.

I hate to be a prick but... *cough cough* I told you so! :P

Oh brother! So that means 2 more years of underpowered 3800's and gas guzzling Northstars and 1983 designed 4 speed automatics. And before everyone chimes in with "the 6 speed will be available soon or the 3800 is done after 2006" just realize this is GM we are talking about here. When they design a car and put 2 engines in it and a tranny it takes a major refresh or an all new body to change and recertify new engines and trannys. And oh look, my theory is confirmed. The 2007 Lucernes are going to have the identical engines and trannys to the 06's. Very discouraging!

The only Ford cars right now with RWD is the Mustang and ancient Crown Victoria. The Lincoln LS is gone and the GT was a niche car when it was being sold. The Crown Vic is definately pulling in big numbers and the Mustang isn't really setting the market on fire lately. Ford has made it's intentions clear. AWD is in the company's future for many of it's sedans.

The only vehicles from Chrysler/Dodge are the 300c, Magnum, and Charger, Crossfire, and Viper. The last two being limited production vehicles. The 300c and the Magnum are starting to lose their popularity like most vehicles do after a few years on the market. Not because people are turning away from RWD but because the styling of each vehicle is starting to appear dated.

I think some people here and in the press think RWD is popular again because people want sportier vehicles. I disagree. It's all about looks.

That's the only real reason the 300C sold so well. If the Impala is gorgeous, then GM should have a hit. If not, it will just be another RWD sedan on the market that no one will really care about.

For those who think GM will lose out because they will be late in the RWD sedan game just remember: By the time GM brings all the Zeta vehicles to market, the next generation RWD vehicles from Ford(even if it's just the Mustang) and Chrysler/Dodge should be entering the market so there is no real worry that they will be too late in the game.

Also, last time I checked the top selling passenger cars in the country were still FWD and that's probably not going to change anytime soon.

GM should be focusing heavily on FWD/AWD vehicles in order to stay competitive with it's Japanese rivals.

• 4 weeks later...