Least favorite car related tasks

Satty

There are things we all love doing that are car-related. I really enjoy washing my car an, given the time, I like changing my own oil. There are a couple of things I really dont like to do. One is vacuum the interior. I like keeping my car clean but I hate doing this which sucks because I have black everything and any bit of dirt shows. Another interior related thing I dislike is cleaning up from the night before. If the night before was a bad one, chances are there is blood or vomit in the back seat. If the night before was good, possibly some other fluids. Either way there are probably handprints and fingerprints all over the windows. But my absolute least favorite thing is the thing I've had to do most recently: fix a tire. I've plugged three in the last two weeks, two today. There isn't much I can do about nails and such in the road, I know this, but I can still bitch. I think today it was worse because both tires on the passenger side were down to about 14 pounds this morning, I aired them up Tuesday night. After getting back from class, I spent half an hour in the garage trying to find my patch kit, then another twenty minutes trying to find the damned thingy for the air compressor. On the bright side, my car is no longer uneven.

Well, I used to love washing my car inside and out... But either I have lost my touch or or I'm not buying the right crap. It's annoying and it takes forever now. Another thing is after I clean it... I hate getting it dirty. Especially when other people do it. But one thing I really hate is cleaning a car that hasn't been for a while, mainly the interior. Ugh... is it ever disgusting. I had to go through this when I first got my GA. All kinds of funky shit stuck in small crevises (sp?) and unviewable places. Bleh... :puke:

I hate having to do anything w/ engine coolant, be it a simple drain/fill or radiator replacement. The stuff just stinks to high heaven, and once it's on you it seems like it takes all day to get it off, even after multiple hand washings. Bleagh!

A close second is trans fluid/filter changes. I only have a jack and stands at my parents' garage, so the car is never quite high enough to make it comfortable. Since I don't trust those DIY trans pan drain plugs they sell, it's a very messy and long job to loosen the pan and catch the trans fluid, or at least some of it. Then that damn little steel/rubber filter bushing always gives me grief to come out. A few months ago I had to do my mom's 02 Impala and my wife's Aztek- same trans, same headaches. The Mach 5 is overdue for this service too but she'll have to wait until I can recover. :rolleyes:

This one's my own fault, but every year (sometimes twice a year) I need to repaint my brake calipers. The particular shade of candy apple blue that I like isn't made in a true caliper paint kit, so the spray I use only lasts a few months. I *love* the results, and so do other people who've complemented me on the look, but it's a drag having to redo them. And thx for the suggestion, but I don't think they make powder coat in that shade, and I couldn't afford it if they did anyway. http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif

Cleaning BBS rims...especially the really tight weaved rims...a royal pain in the ass...with all those damn nooks and crannys and all the bolts for the 2/3 piece rims...grrrr...but boy when they are clean do they look good! B) Edited by Nick

I can't stand frickin' cleaning wheels...the cracks and crevices and the being down on the ground is one thing, but it's just murder when the brake dust is basically permanent acting....feels like a total waste of time when it's that stubborn. That reach to get to the bottom inside of the windshield is brutal too.... I love vacuuming out and wiping down interiors though....

• 5 years later...