first compact truck

A Ford TT is double the size of a 1959 Datsun pickup.

If you're talking about "compact" as we define it today, wasn't it Datsun... 1959 or something?

i believe this is correct...

according to where i got the stupid question...

Trivia question: Who was first to market a compact pickup in the U. S.? Hint — think early 1970s. Answer: Nissan. However, the Datsun pickup was almost unnoticed because of the phenomenal success of Nissan’s 240Z.

Datsun was later rebranded as Nissan, and its pickup has evolved into today’s Frontier. Nissan, a company on a major product roll after some very lean financial times in the late 1980s and early 90s, remains the biggest innovator in small pickups.

Ocnblu's correct (if this is your definition of "compact pickup") and it was in 1959...more than a decade before the 240Z came to the US...and a year or so before Toyota introduced the Stout.

If you want to get picky, Crosley and Willys had compact pickups well before the Datsun 1200 was imported.

Who was first to market a compact pickup in the U. S.? Answer: Nissan.

It is 'flat wrong' in that nissan/datsun was NOT the first manufacturer to offer a compact pick-up in the U.S..

Actually, neither was Crosley.

American Austin/American Bantam offered a pick-up that was truely compact beginning in '33.

It is 'flat wrong' in that nissan/datsun was NOT the first manufacturer to offer a compact pick-up in the U.S..

Actually, neither was Crosley.

American Austin/American Bantam offered a pick-up that was truely compact beginning in '33.

Yes..that would beat Crosley by about six years.

Once again Balthy's right... this definately qualifies as a "compact" pickup.

Posted Image

The Ranger is one of the lamset products of the past 15 years

and that's saying a lot. Shame on Ford for not redesigning

that POS in like 1998.

IH Scout was -I guess- a pickup from the beginning ('61). There was a steel Cab Top, a steel Travel-Top and a vinyl Cab Top, all removable to expose the 5' bed.

Actualy I'm kind of surprised IH stuffed a 5' bed in a vehicle with only a 100" wheelbase.

I should clarify: the Travel-Top was ala a '70s Blazer: the roof covered everything rearward of the windshield. Both Cab Tops only covered the front seat area, leaving the bed exposed. Scouts of this generation were 3-passenger jobs at the most (don't know offhand if there was a 'bucket seat' version).

Edited by balthazar

Actualy I'm kind of surprised IH stuffed a 5' bed in a vehicle with only a 100" wheelbase.

IIRC They were only powered by a V8 or an inline 4 (litteraly half the V8)

so the hood did not need to be as long as the Chevys & Fords which still

had inline sixes in their base trucks. To hell with that though, Inline Sixes

are awsome!

IH Scout was -I guess- a pickup from the beginning ('61). There was a steel Cab Top, a steel Travel-Top and a vinyl Cab Top, all removable to expose the 5' bed.

I should clarify: the Travel-Top was ala a '70s Blazer: the roof covered everything rearward of the windshield. Both Cab Tops only covered the front seat area, leaving the bed exposed. Scouts of this generation were 3-passenger jobs at the most (don't know offhand if there was a 'bucket seat' version).

The pickup version was simply a matter of the top used (as Balthazar indicates) so it was "available" from the start. Buckets were available, if not at first, then soon afterward as most Scouts I've been in were bucket seat-equipped. There was also a primitive seat available which mounted in the bed area. So, passenger capacity would be 4-5 people.