2008 VUE Green Line gets 25mpg city/32mpg hwy

'08 Saturn Hybrid Vue Fuel Economy Numbers
Posted Image

Saturn has released fuel economy numbers for the all-new 2008 Saturn Vue Green Line hybrid sport-utility. According to Saturn.com, the Green Line will get an EPA estimated 25mpg in the city and 32mpg on the highway as well as a combined average of 28mpg.

Taking into account the revised 2008 fuel economy measures, this is an over 10% increase over the 2007 VUE - despite the extra curb weight - and about 27% better than the regular 4-cylinder 2008 VUE. Saturn is also touting the longest range of any SUV, 585 highway miles as well as the best highway fuel economy, beating out even the Ford Escape's 30mpg.

The VUE Green Line starts at $24,795 and includes GM's BAS hybrid system, economy hybrid A/C, lowered ride height, rear roof spoiler, lightweight alloy wheels, and low-rolling resistance tires. Color-keyed bumpers and floor mats round out the package.

Cheers and Gears estimates a $1,500-$2,000 tax credit for the 2008 VUE Green Line.

Economy Comparison - 2008 MPG figures used
Make/Model - City/Hwy/Combined
2008 Saturn VUE GL - 25/32/28
2008 Saturn VUE XE 4cyl - 19/26/22
2007 Saturn VUE GL - 23/29/26
2008 Ford Escape Hybrid - 34/30/32
2008 Honda CR-V - 20/27/23
2008 Toyota RAV4 - 21/27/24
2008 Kia Sportage - 20/25/22
2008 Hyundai Tuscon - 20/25/22

They are already saying that at Saturn.com. I'm a little confused, how can the Vue GL have better mpg than the Aura GL in the city? How can the BAS hybrid system provide a larger percentage increase in city and hwy mileage in the Vue? The Vue weighs several hundred pounds more than the Aura? Is it the second gen BAS? :huh:

2008 Vue Green Line

I saw that too. They don't give what EPA standard those numbers are based on, but they compare 2007 vehicles in its class.

They are already saying that at Saturn.com. I'm a little confused, how can the Vue GL have better mpg than the Aura GL in the city? How can the BAS hybrid system provide a larger percentage increase in city and hwy mileage in the Vue? The Vue weighs several hundred pounds more than the Aura? Is it the second gen BAS? :huh:

2008 Vue Green Line

Super super high final drive ratio? A curb weight reduction of 500 lbs? Something other than a four-speed auto?

It's definitely impressive for BAS if 25/32 is with the '08 procedures.

585 highway miles!!!! Man I would love to have that someday, I'm lucky to get 250 miles on a tank with my truck. I drive 25+ miles one way, each day to work and that would save a ton of cash in this cash-strapped State of Michigan. I'm still in the market for trucks I guess. If GM would put the 6-speed in the 1/2 ton trucks this would improve the mpg, but they are still reserved for the Denali's and the HD's...I'm waiting! Edited by RJB

Decent, but not great mileage. I am still most impressed with the Escape hybrid that gets 34 mpg city. Motor Trend just had a hybrid comparison with the Altima, Camry and Aura, they finished in that order. The Aura had a 10.5 second 0-60 time which is really lousy, this thing may be slow too. The Altima was 7.1 seconds 0-60 and 33/34 mpg I think, both were impressive numbers, GM needs numbers like that.

Decent, but not great mileage. I am still most impressed with the Escape hybrid that gets 34 mpg city. Motor Trend just had a hybrid comparison with the Altima, Camry and Aura, they finished in that order. The Aura had a 10.5 second 0-60 time which is really lousy, this thing may be slow too. The Altima was 7.1 seconds 0-60 and 33/34 mpg I think, both were impressive numbers, GM needs numbers like that.

Decent? Decent for a hybrid or decent for a BAS hybrid? You can't forget that the BAS pretty much just a start/stop system. 23% on the hwy and 31% in the city from that system crazy. Using the 2008 EPA rating system makes it that much more impressive.

even with a slow BAS, the CRv is not really any faster i bet. and honda's 4 cylinder utes don't give the huge mpg people think they do. My bet is the Vue GL is almost as fast as the crawling recreational vehicle, gets better mpg, and costs less comparably equipped. Not to forget the 5/100 ptrn wty.

i think at least compared to the big selling crawling recreational vehicle, its a great alternative.

even with a slow BAS, the CRv is not really any faster i bet. and honda's 4 cylinder utes don't give the huge mpg people think they do. My bet is the Vue GL is almost as fast as the crawling recreational vehicle, gets better mpg, and costs less comparably equipped. Not to forget the 5/100 ptrn wty.

i think at least compared to the big selling crawling recreational vehicle, its a great alternative.

Your bets all suck... :P

2008 CR-V EX: $23,585

2008 VUE GL w/ moonroof: $25,595

Prices include destination. Both are similarly equipped with privacy glass, manual seats, 17" alloys, power windows, stability control, moonroof, and automatic transmission. The VUE GL has standard auto A/C (not available on the CR-V EX), while the CR-V EX has standard six-disc CD (not available on VUE GL).

2008 CR-V EX-L: $26,135

2008 VUE GL w/ moonroof, comfort & convenience, premium trim: $27,595

Both are similarly equipped with leather, power driver seat, heated mirrors, and heated seats. The VUE GL with these options has rain-sensing wipers and Homelink (not available on CR-V EX-L), while the CR-V EX-L has standard six-disc CD 270W and dual-zone auto A/C (not available on VUE GL).

As far as acceleration, from recent Edmunds comparos...

CR-V 4WD: 9.5 sec

AURA GL: 11.0 sec

The VUE GL weighs 400 lbs more than the AURA GL.

What you should have said is that the VUE GL offers better fuel economy, interior quality, styling, and tax credits than the CR-V, at the expense of a higher MSRP, less cargo/interior space, and poorer performance. If the tax credit is $1500-2000, it's a very compelling alternative.

Edited by empowah

What you should have said is that the VUE GL offers better fuel economy, interior quality, styling, and tax credits than the CR-V, at the expense of a higher MSRP, less cargo/interior space, and poorer performance. If the tax credit is $1500-2000, it's a very compelling alternative.

As far as styling goes, the only thing I like about the Vue over the CR-V is the painted lower areas (Honda should paint the lowers at least on the EX trims).

The head lights, tail lights, and side vents (not to mention side mirrors) on the Vue really ruin what could have been a perfect looking CUV. Well, at least the grille is nice looking.

both are chickmobiles of the highest order. the crv sells so well because it basically rings all women's car buying bells. and it get's buyers to swap their 4 cylinder accords for an SUV and still stay honda.

Personally i liked the previous Vue's more trucklike and butch stance. the new Vue has wussified it's look to appeal to women and import intenders more, it's hard to say yet if that is successful. One thing is certain, the Vue does have the interior goods.

Styling wise, with all of that, at least the Vue is not wearing the CR-v's dreadful styling mishaps. I find it odd that a vehicle so unattractive is so popular.

Over the noon hour, I saw a truck loaded with 08 Escapes and Mariners. the black mariner caught my eye and is absolutely stunning good. where the ford's fall apart is in interior quality. The layout is nice, but the plastics and fabrics are subpar and the controls are cheap. Had Ford done a bangup job on the interior, then we could put the CRV in the trash like it needs to be. My understanding is the Escape gets a 6 speed / 240hp combo in 2009.

And the RAV4 kills the CRv anyways. The Rav can be had a motor that will get nearly 4 seconds better than the 10 second times the CRv gets in tests.

CRv suffers from the same thing the sportage does. tiny trunk.

Edited by regfootball

Had Ford done a bangup job on the interior, then we could put the CRV in the trash like it needs to be.

Just like the RAV4 is killing the CR-V and "once word about the nissan rogue gets out, the crv is dead", right?

Styling wise, the CR-V is not that bad, and from the perspective of a CUV buyer, it is fine apparently. It has sufficient performance for what it is.

i have cooled a bit on the rogue. the styling looks worse in person than photos. too snout nosed.

The Rogue is really a jacked-up hatchback, which is what the Tiguan will be incidentally.

I think an HHR allroad/XC/Outback, or an HHR dressed up to look like a Tahoe-Volt, will help Chevy in the compact SUV game. The HHR is cheaper and more fuel efficient than a lot of other small SUVs.

Styling wise, the CR-V is not that bad, and from the perspective of a CUV buyer, it is fine apparently.

Blind? Rose colored glasses? From my perspective and the people I know. The CRV is effeminate and has a cleft lipped front end. How anyone find it attractive is beyond me.

Mark

i sat in and inspected a couple vues today. the interior is impeccable. i was disturbed by how small the cargo area is now. wow. the floor of too many of these crossovers is way too high and cargo space suffers big time. the taurus x is one of the few that has it figured out.

Edited by regfootball

i sat in and inspected a couple vues today. the interior is impeccable. i was disturbed by how small the cargo area is now. wow. the floor of too many of these crossovers is way too high and cargo space suffers big time. the taurus x is one of the few that has it figured out.

Taurus X is closer the Outlook in terms of size though. The Vue's competition from Ford is the Edge.

Taurus X is closer the Outlook in terms of size though. The Vue's competition from Ford is the Edge.

The VUE's competition from Ford is the Escape. The Edge is longer, wider, roomier, and more expensive, though not heavier.

But yeah, even if you compare the VUE with the Escape, the VUE is smaller.

Edited by empowah

yeah but the v6 vue doesn't really get any better mpg than either the edge or the taurus x. for that matter. rather funny considering the taurus x has a third row. what mpg did the new minivans get? i would be so LOL if they get the same mpg as the vue v6. the vue is a grat vehicle, but them killing the cargo area and the mpg really killed 2 of the big reasons people bought the last gen vues.

Edited by regfootball

The VUE's competition from Ford is the Escape. The Edge is longer, wider, roomier, and more expensive, though not heavier.

But yeah, even if you compare the VUE with the Escape, the VUE is smaller.

i sat in a tribute and vue today. the vue's upright seating and ability to tuck your feet under the front seats make it a bit more commodious then you would think. it's close to a draw, the tribute/escape maybe has a little bit more room. the escape trio has the bigger trunk. the vue has the better interior but is also real world priced higher.

the cx-7 starts to look real good in this crew. also, lesser equipped ford edges become attractive.

getting back to the hybrid bit. one gal in the showroom today (because women are gonna be most of the vue buyers now) was inquiring about the hybrid. so maybe GM has them fooled with BAS.

i hope its reliable or they will be crucified. but at least they found a way to get the mpg numbers up which is a good thing.

when does the real vue hybrid come out?

i sat in a tribute and vue today. the vue's upright seating and ability to tuck your feet under the front seats make it a bit more commodious then you would think. it's close to a draw, the tribute/escape maybe has a little bit more room. the escape trio has the bigger trunk. the vue has the better interior but is also real world priced higher.

the cx-7 starts to look real good in this crew. also, lesser equipped ford edges become attractive.

getting back to the hybrid bit. one gal in the showroom today (because women are gonna be most of the vue buyers now) was inquiring about the hybrid. so maybe GM has them fooled with BAS.

i hope its reliable or they will be crucified. but at least they found a way to get the mpg numbers up which is a good thing.

when does the real vue hybrid come out?

I think '09 for the full hybrid (& '10 for the plug-in?), IIRC

All of these vehicles do nothing a 500-1000lb lighter wagon/MPV could do. I find it odd that that fact gets little play outside of fan boards & enthusiast press-types. The mileage figures quoted are impressive for a BAS setup, no doubt.

Edited by enzl

I think '09 for the full hybrid (& '10 for the plug-in?), IIRC

All of these vehicles do nothing a 500-1000lb lighter wagon/MPV could do. I find it odd that that fact gets little play outside of fan boards & enthusiast press-types. The mileage figures quoted are impressive for a BAS setup, no doubt.

A lot of these new small crossovers are overengineered. The original CR-V and RAV4 were merely AWD Civic and Corolla wagons on stilts, which offered more space than a compact sedan, but at price lower than a midsizer.