Memorial: GMC Syclone And Typhoon

Guest YellowJacket894

Guest YellowJacket894

In 1989 GMC stuffed a turbocharged 3.8 liter V6 engine from the legendary 1987 Buick Grand National into an all-wheel drive equipped GMC S-15 engine bay to create the GMC Syclone concept for the Chicago Auto Show. The truck generated favorable interest and people were wondering if a production version was coming.

I think we all know the answer to that.

In 1990, GM gave the Syclone a thumbs-up.

In 1991, the Syclone ripped its way to dealer lots (with a turbo 4.3 V6 instead of the 3.8 GN powerplant).

The public's response was great and GMC soon shoehorned the Syclone's turbo 4.3 into the two-door S-15 Jimmy body. The result was the Typhoon.

The purpose here is to pay some respect to the truck that made the plebian S-Series trucks into one hot ticket.

(Please refrain from posting until all images and links are up. Thank you.)

Edited by YellowJacket894

Guest YellowJacket894

GMC Syclone

Posted Image

The 1989 Syclone concept featuring the Turbo 3.8 from the Grand National and unique bodywork.

Article on the Syclone Concept from Design News.

Article on the Syclone Concept from Auto Week.

Article on the Syclone Concept from Hot Rod.

Production plans annouced for the Syclone (From Auto Week).

Posted Image

Early prototype for the Syclone featuring Buick Grand National fender vents and wheels.

Posted Image

The same prototype from above with "Buick" written on the tailgate.

An article from Truck & Sport Utilty Performance on the "Buick Syclone" prototype.

Posted Image

Chevrolet S-10 4.3 Turbo SS Prototype (featuring Syclone wheels with Corvette center caps).

More images of the 4.3 SS mule.

Web page with more Syclone prototype history (sportmachines.com).

Posted Image

Moment of silence, please, for this Syclone prototype (marked #0001). It was purchased for $600.00 bucks and left to rot.

More of Syclone 0001.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sonoma GTX concept.

More Syclone prototypes.

Posted Image

Production Syclone.

Posted Image

Syclone ad featuring the Syclone LSR (LSR = land speed record). The LSR was unique in that it featured the extended-cab S-15 Sonoma body.

Car & Driver Tests the 1991 GMC Syclone.

Shreveport takes on Maranello in this Car & Driver article.

More in a moment.

Guest YellowJacket894

GMC Typhoon

Posted Image

This very early concept sketch of the Typhoon was made at a time where the "Typhoon" moniker wasn't even authorized (therefore, Syclone appeared on the sketch).

Posted Image

This Typhoon has fascias made of clay. The turn signals were made of paper and rendered to appear real. This prototype has 1991 Syclone mirrors and a rear spolier.

Posted Image

1991 Typhoon prototype "Shamu."

Posted Image

Pilot Typhoon interior with unique steering wheel.

More Typhoon prototypes.

Posted Image

Pre-production Typhoon.

Car & Driver tests the SUV from hell.

Posted Image

Production Typhoon takes in the scenery.

Posted Image

Typhoon window sticker.

Germany takes notice of the Typhoon...

Posted Image

...And Chevy eventually gave it to them. (GMC didn't have a Euro market license...but Chevy did for the Corvette.)

Car & Driver sings praise for the Typhoon in a buyers guide.

Posted Image

The last of the breed: the very last 1993 GMC Typhoon, signed by everyone who worked on the Syclone/Typhoon project.

More of the last Typhoon.

More in a moment.

The syclone will always be one of my favorite trucks. DOn't forget, the syclone was also AWD. I'd love to make a newer S-10 into an awd, 4.3l turbocharged monster like the syclone was. Then again, I'd love to just have the original syclone.

It is still to this day the quickest production truck ever created due to its awd. Sure, the Ram SRT-10 is faster. No question, but the fact that this over 15 year old truck can launch better out of the gate than most sports cars really says something.

Guest YellowJacket894

I'd love to make a newer S-10 into an awd, 4.3l turbocharged monster like the syclone was.

That's the plan for my S-10 (well, for the long run, anyway).

It is still to this day the quickest production truck ever created due to its awd. Sure, the Ram SRT-10 is faster. No question, but the fact that this over 15 year old truck can launch better out of the gate than most sports cars really says something.

188733[/snapback]

The Syclone, Typhoon, and Impala SS showed that GM could make a timeless halo vehicle for an entire model with very simple modifications.

Also, I have seen a Syclone II and Typhoon II. The Typhoon II was basically an two-door, four-wheel drive Jimmy SLE with pieces from the Envoy, an upgraded suspension, and powered by a supercharged version of the 4.3 liter V6. As for the Syclone II, it was basically a Sonoma used for transfer case testing then purchased by a Canadian firm and modified.

I think doing the Syclone thing with your truck is an awesome idea... or least getting a 4.3 super'd or turbo'd under the hood.

I have considered giving the 6.2 a little more power (kinda sucky on hills)... but seeing as I hope to own a fun to drive RWD car as well as the truck, I'll keep my money in my pocket for now.

Guest YellowJacket894

I think doing the Syclone thing with your truck is an awesome idea... or least getting a 4.3 super'd or turbo'd under the hood.

You know it. 8)

But, then again, it all comes down to cost. If a junkheap 4.3 is too expensive, I'll have to find ways to make the 2.2 in my truck somehow comparable. As for the all-wheel drive, I don't know about that either.

But, anyway, back to the Syclone... :D

You know it.  8)

But, then again, it all comes down to cost. If a junkheap 4.3 is too expensive, I'll have to find ways to make the 2.2 in my truck somehow comparable. As for the all-wheel drive, I don't know about that either.

188760[/snapback]

Great article! Just a few add-ons.

I had a '95 S-10LS extended cab with the 4.3l engine. It was great off the line until about 40mph. Then it felt like somebody thru out an anchor.

Problem was : that truck weighed more than my 1974 Custom Deluxe FULL-SIZE

Chevy truck...... which had a 454 in it!

I tried to get the parts to convert to a Tyhoon or Syclone engine. The people who

catered to these specialty trucks would not sell me the parts for a conversion!

They said that they were too rare, and could not be "wasted" on a conversion!

I then tried the aftermarket........... there was nothing there! Everybody was suggesting do a V-8 conversion instead!

AND..... I was told that the transfer case used on those specialty trucks, being full-time, had no low-range shifter, and that the transfer case is the same one that was later used in all the Astro and Safari AWD minivans! That same stock transfer case is the one that Jon Moss used in the later testing of an AWD

SS truck model! :yes:

Back in June of 1998, I came VERY close to buying a 20,000 mile original condition 1991 Syclone at the Carlisle All-Truck Nationals. However, my damn bank was giving me such a hard time about financing that I had to pass on it. I was 16 y-o when the Syclone came out and will never forget riding my bike the 4 miles to the local Buick-GMC dealer, in February, to see it in person. From that moment on I so wanted a Syclone. One day I'm sure I'll have one :P

• 1 month later...

You know it.  8)

188760[/snapback]

just thought of this now...If you're looking for a 4.3 with the AWD system, I got two words for ya....Olds Bravada.

• 5 months later...

Heh, I just now saw this post... had one for 4 years from '98 to '02, 31k miles when I bought it and only put 4500 miles on it. Bought it for $14,500 and sold it for $13,800

Pics aren't the best, had the truck before I had a digital camera, so these scanned versons are the best I have.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by BuddyP

My first time ever hearing about the GMC Syclone / Typhoon was when I downloaded them as user-made cars for the PC game Midtown Madness 1 (I was probably 14 at the time...this was before I knew much about cars and trucks). I was playing online against someone in an '84 Monte Carlo and beat them in a race. But sadly, I don't think I've ever seen one in person.

Guest YellowJacket894

just thought of this now...If you're looking for a 4.3 with the AWD system, I got two words for ya....Olds Bravada.

Hey ... yeah. Buy maybe a Bravada from a junkyard really cheap and strip the whole powertrain and interior out of it. But ... I don't think I want to put that kind of money into my truck anymore ... must resist ...

Posted Image

Gorgeous, Buddy. :thumbsup:

My first time ever hearing about the GMC Syclone / Typhoon was when I downloaded them as user-made cars for the PC game Midtown Madness 1 (I was probably 14 at the time...this was before I knew much about cars and trucks). I was playing online against someone in an '84 Monte Carlo and beat them in a race. But sadly, I don't think I've ever seen one in person.

The first time I saw a Sy/Ty in person was when I was about seven years old. I was living in Lexington still and I guess someone had a black Typhoon as a daily driver. Man ... seeing it in person just really made a spark with me, you know? :P

Our neighbor, a little old Japanese lady, had a black Typhoon, which I'll always remember as the precursor to the X5s and Cayennes of today. Now she has a silver TrailBlazer SS. And a black C5 Corvette. Who ever said that old people drive boring cars?

All throughout middle school & high school in the early 90s

I had several Syclone & Typhoon posters in my bedroom.

They certainly are the coolest "trucks" of their respective

era not even a contest with the Lightning..

• 1 month later...