Motor Trend's Best Driver's Car

ccap41

http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/2015_motor_trend_best_drivers_car/

I won't ruin or spoil anything for anybody. I'll just give you guys a list of the cars and you can read it from there.

Edit: Come to think of it.. once you click on the link they are placed in order so I might as well just put that here as well.

DNF: Corvette Z06 Z07 Package 1.38.60

9th: Volkswagen Golf R 1.46.95

8th: Lexus RC F 1.43.20

7th: Cadillac ATS-V 1.40.18

6th: Cadillac CTS-V 1.38.52

5th: Bentley Continental GT3-R 1.43.51

4th: Mercedes-AMG C63 S 1.40.50

3rd: Mazda MX-5 1.50.68

2nd: Porsche Cayman GT4 1.37.43

1st: Mercedes-AMG GT S 1.35.57

Edited by ccap41

Just on lap times alone the CTS-V was 3rd and the Corvette was 4th. Sad that they did not make sure the Corvette was up and ready before sending it to such a grilling.

I still think the CTS-V should be in the top 3, I disagree with their results myself. Yet Bias always makes it into reviews like this.

You could see it coming, but you just shrug your shoulders and get on with it.

In reality, the CTS and ATS are probably just past the halfway point of Cadillac's product Renaissance: they have proven that they can be as fast and as unflappable as any luxury sedan in the world, and to be fair they probably have done it while sacrificing a wee bit of luxury, at least in V trim.

The next step is the battle of the bling: continue to refine CUE, bring in a simplified interior design language like the Ciel, and work a bit on interior quality and durability with stuff like better, possibly bespoke, switchgear. They have hit the target they were aiming for. Now it's time for bullseyes.

ATS-V was extremely high on Randy Pobst's fun-factor emotional evaluation, and the review was heavily positive, a stark difference from the 8th place Lexus. Seems odd that poor brake pedal feel and "numb" steering dropped it to 7th. The CTS-V also seemed oddly low placed given its 3rd place lap time and heaping praise.

Sure, the top 3 cars were a lock, but a Bently over either V?? I don't buy that for a second.

Not making conspiracy claims, just disagree.

Lots cars missing from that list.  The SS, the Mustang, the Viper (but it probably wouldn't have done well, it's a lot to handle while the others are easier),  no Hellcats

It's very likely that the two Cadillac's in this test are the same ones (same VINs) I drove just yesterday... but I drove them in the wrong order.   After driving the CTS-V, the ATS-V feels like your grandmother's Camry with the parking brake stuck on....... still, I was able to keep right on the Vette lead car for everything but the long straights. 

Lots cars missing from that list.  The SS, the Mustang, the Viper (but it probably wouldn't have done well, it's a lot to handle while the others are easier),  no Hellcats

It's very likely that the two Cadillac's in this test are the same ones (same VINs) I drove just yesterday... but I drove them in the wrong order.   After driving the CTS-V, the ATS-V feels like your grandmother's Camry with the parking brake stuck on....... still, I was able to keep right on the Vette lead car for everything but the long straights. 

Not missing, purposefully omitted or manufacturer wouldn't send. The Best Driver's Car competition requires new or heavily revised models, that excludes the Chevy SS, Viper, and Mustang GT. The GT350 wasn't available at time of test. Hellcat wouldn't stand a chance as a driver's car, it's not designed to be a track weapon beyond the straight line. This test has particular qualifications.

Lots cars missing from that list.  The SS, the Mustang, the Viper (but it probably wouldn't have done well, it's a lot to handle while the others are easier),  no Hellcats

It's very likely that the two Cadillac's in this test are the same ones (same VINs) I drove just yesterday... but I drove them in the wrong order.   After driving the CTS-V, the ATS-V feels like your grandmother's Camry with the parking brake stuck on....... still, I was able to keep right on the Vette lead car for everything but the long straights.

This is a partial convo that was had over at MotorTrend with one of the editors, Scott Evans. He pretty much answers that question and it's directly from the source.

FriskyDingo:

I figured the AMG would win seeing as in how there was no GT3. I'm still not smitten with the car. Then again, I'll probably never drive one, so who cares.

I think the test this year was a huge letdown. I understand MT is at the mercy of the press to an extent, but it seems like for the major players that are missing- 458 Speciale, GT3, Huracan, etc- they could phone a friend. Being in LA, there has to be some connection that can come through for at least one of them.

And there are still other cars missing that could have been invited. Why no standard Cooper S? Why no M235i? Why no Mustang GT w/ Perf Pkg? Why no Challenger SRT? Or one of the many updated Vipers aside from the ACR?

To top it all off, I think the test is really missing a huge component by not bringing back last year's winner. It's like fighting for and winning a UFC title fight, and then being cut from the roster.

Just my .02

Scott Evans:

It shouldn't be too hard to imagine how difficult it is to convince the owner of a $200,000 car to lend it to a bunch of lead-footed magazine editors and a racecar driver for a week of thrashing and more than a thousand miles added to the odometer, not to mention the ever-present possibility of a crash. We've tried. Those people don't really exist.

As for the other cars...

1) Cooper S: Not that great. Went backwards from the last generation. Got fat.

2) M235i: Not new. We had a choice between it and the M4 last year and we went with the M4 for obvious reasons.

3) Mustang GT PP: Out-handled by the out-going Camaro. Not good enough.

4) Challenger SRT: Great in a straight line, not much for turns.

5) Viper: We've driven them, and they're not especially better than the Viper we've already tested. The ACR is the one worth waiting for.

6) Z/28: We debated this a lot, but it's old news. It's been discontinued and the Camaro as a whole has been replaced by an all-new car. It's just not really relevant and it made more sense to bring another new contender instead.

As soon as I saw the headline my first thought was the Miata would be the winner.  But 3rd place is still a strong showing.  I have never driven a Miata, but I imagine you can use all of the power almost all of the time, and it weighs like 2,300 lbs, so it has to handle like it is on rails.  And if you take out the Golf R, the average price on that list is probably $100k, the MX5 is $25k.

I am surprised there was no Nissan GT-R.  Not surprised by the Cayman being up there, that is like the $60k Miata.  Strong showing by AMG, they are putting handling and braking into cars now, not just building muscle cars like they did 10 years ago.